jacko262 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Best food venue in the league
RasFas
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02-09-2009 23:05

Quite The Regular

It has been suggested that there should be some recognition of the quality that venues maintain in the provision of food for their teams. I'm not sure how to go about it but I certainly support the sentiment. The problem is that not everybody eats at every venue and some venues might be under-represented on this website. Nevertheless, our members are all we have to go by so we could at least start with some suggestions on this thread, leading to a poll on suggested venues.

I would like to start by proposing The Folly, where new managers Steve and Julie provide a variety of home cooked meals which to my knowledge have included lamb and chicken curries and shepherd's pie. I was privileged to have sampled the lamb curry a few weeks ago and can honestly report that it was sensational. Self-served directly from the pot, with proper plates and cutlery and plenty for everyone. I know that anyone who has eaten there recently will have this venue very high on their list. Its certainly top of mine right now.

Anyone for any more...?

Dogger
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 00:25

Must Get Out More

i have to agree with you, the folly has got to be the best. One of the nicest tasting home cooked shepherds pie, enough for 3 helpings EACH. How can you beat that.

can i also propose the worst food in the league award, and put forward the Flying Machine.

ThePower
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 03:21

Must Get Out More

Not sure any venue is worthy. It's pre-packed rubbish at best. Jamie Oliver urgently required.

If I recall, the Surrey Cricketers used to serve up a pretty mean curry.

Worse food venue remains the The Harp in West Croydon. One night in 2004 for a league cup match they put out what can only be described as a tray of half cooked bones (probably some dead dog). The 'bones' were decorated and presented with some raw white onions. Was an awful experience.

BTW, I have only ever witnessed Dave 'Truey' Truan in 15 years of playing pool in the Croydon league divulge once in the ''food'' at a pool match. He once devoured one chip and took one bite of chicken leg. Both items were consumed funny enough at the Folly. For being able to tempt him into eating pool match grub - the Folly will get my vote on that achievement alone!

Dogger
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 04:44

Must Get Out More

Yeah the cricketers did do a great curry.

But folly's new food is defiantly not pre-packed rubbish any more. home made, fresh from the oven dinners. unless we just went there on a good week?!

Faz Da Fisher
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 04:51

Home From Home

ThePower wrote:

Worse food venue remains the The Harp in West Croydon. One night in 2004 for a league cup match they put out what can only be described as a tray of half cooked bones (probably some dead dog). The 'bones' were decorated and presented with some raw white onions. Was an awful experience.

I think I've honestly pised myself Reading that LOL pure quality.

On a side note power don't give me that rubbish about pre packed rubbish, on the race night wasn't it you who ate the octopus co.ck in the Chinese LOL
Edited by Faz Da Fisher on 03-09-2009 04:55
I think I got a bite ... And it's a big one

Faz Da Fisher
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 04:58

Home From Home

on further Reading to the powers post that is hilarious I burst out in laughter on a bus got some funny looks bit was funny has to be Post of The Year quality

The_Saxtonator
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 05:44

Super Admin

I think the View would be in contention for this

www.saxtonenterprises.com
Nature Boy
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 05:52

Home From Home

Well how about the food served out of the Warbank and of course Rileys / Suzi Cues, Always top drawapplause

Faz Da Fisher
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 14:32

Home From Home

Rileys is like a wild kill 60 people running to the table like they have been fed before plus fighting Gary Swettenham to fill his large gut is not a pretty site on a different tangent shouldn't there be food provided on KO cup games not every venue does this. Beechtree have an awful table but the curry was awesome. I think chad should have the final word as he is like a Hoover and tries the food everywhere he could be a royal faster of sorts LOL

Andy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 15:09
Getting The Hang Of It

I 'm not sure that Steve and Julie read the website so on their behalf thanks very much for the great comments. I have printed them out and will pass them on tonight. It seems a long time ago (it was actually only the beginning of this season) when I had to apologise to the Seamen for the quality of the food but since Steve and Julie have arrived there has been a sensational turnaround in quality. As Dogger says - no pre-packed rubbish is being served at The Folly - it is all great quality home cooking. Thanks to Steve and Julie from all the Folly team and naturally, you get my vote applause

JugglingSpence
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 15:44

Home From Home

Time for a new poll me thinks...
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

RasFas
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2009 18:47

Quite The Regular

Ok, so far we have:
The Folly
The View
The Warbank
Rileys Purley Way
The Beechtree

I'm sure there are a few more. Perhaps when we get to 10 we can start a poll.

It would also help if we could have a description of the offerings of each venue for those of us unlucky - or lucky - enough not to get to eat there. Feel free to go all Ainsley on us and tell us what you like about your favourite food venue. gossipping

Sting
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04-09-2009 01:56
Quite The Regular

any reason why the farley has been ignored? not a great eater of pool food myself but the farley always has a good spread and wide variety. Always lots of people with small sausages hanging out of their mouths so it must be tasty...

Cue_Ball
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04-09-2009 22:00

Quite The Regular

Why has the Farley been ignored? Other than the obvious that it's like eating out of a dog bowl? The only pub in the league that manages to fk up an orange juice and lemonade.

The tables down Suzys are cleaner than the plates in that place.

JugglingSpence
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04-09-2009 22:43

Home From Home

Cue_Ball wrote:

They give you napkins... There aren't any plates Pfft
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

Sting
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06-09-2009 03:55
Quite The Regular

Cue_Ball wrote:
Why has the Farley been ignored? Other than the obvious that it's like eating out of a dog bowl? The only pub in the league that manages to fk up an orange juice and lemonade.

you shouldnt eat it straight out of the bowl, your supposed to take the food away and eat it...

Farley
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06-09-2009 07:57

Home From Home

Cue_Ball wrote:

Cue_Ball... Dont know what your problem is with The Farley but, i tell you this...Make another comment like that and, you better have a good solicitor... and, I AINT FECKING JOKING...
Home of the Farley Loyalists. Farley Dukes. Farley Small Potatoes...

RasFas
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2009 00:01

Quite The Regular

The saboteurs of croydon strike again! KMT!!!

Which part of 'Best food venue in the league' is not clear? If you like the food tell us about it. If not, POST SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Show a little love people...

fieldsy
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2009 00:31

Getting The Hang Of It

exactly....yet another,after midnight,well constructive post....can see why the sites so quiet...wrong

Whatapisstake
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2009 04:06

Must Get Out More

i have to say the veiw has pukka grub... plus the william put some fancy food on ... even if it is lonely in the bottom division of 5 laughing
am not sticking my acheivements down the list is too long lmao surrender

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Kyle Pickett
Kyle Pickett
Croydon Interleague (Current)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing