oddball240 weeks
Knocky244 weeks
Teach248 weeks
FoxC261 weeks
cazza266 weeks
andye266 weeks
jacko266 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Format Change Proposal
oddball
#41 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 04:23

Getting The Hang Of It

I don't believe the format is to blame for the dwindling number of teams wanting to play in the Croydon pool league. The number of teams has always gone up/down over the years. I don't think the number games we play will change the problem. I believe it's the rules we play the game by. people are voting with their feet.

porky
#42 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 05:37

Getting The Hang Of It

are we allowed to vote on the change of format even if we don't go to the meeting i.e by mail ,also if it is voted in what will we do if teams fold because they don't want to play 10 frames,whilst i'm all for making the league more attractive i fear we could end up defeating the object.

ThePower
#43 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 05:51

Must Get Out More

The fomart as it stands will destroy this league in 3 more seasons. Team numbers are dwindling because of the format not the rules, its stale at the moment and I can only vouch for Div 1, but if half of them can't be arsed with the current set up then there is a big problem looming for the Croydon league unless there is change.

Reduce team size increase match distance, introduce timing when sensible and drop that pathetic pick again rule. Its wrong and rubbish, and it has to go. Turn up short, you loose frames.

Golden
#44 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 07:28

FORUM ADDICT!

Just make sure Pedro vote to that effect Wink

Golden
#45 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 07:33

FORUM ADDICT!

porky wrote:
are we allowed to vote on the change of format even if we don't go to the meeting i.e by mail ,also if it is voted in what will we do if teams fold because they don't want to play 10 frames,whilst i'm all for making the league more attractive i fear we could end up defeating the object.

No you have to be there in person . .

. . I fail to see why this format would do anything detrimental . . It will make for more teams turning up with adequate numbers, smaller squad sizes might lead to more teams being formed . . More pool for your night out . . I can't see a downside . .

Fat-Dart
#46 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 23:17

FORUM ADDICT!

Just had an email back from Mark Halsey confirming that the meeting date is being changed to Thursday 21 Feb, so that people can enjoy/endure Valentine's Day, safe in the knowledge that no proposals are being voted on until the following week.
loveduphitting with a chair

harry
#47 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 23:22

Must Get Out More

Damn, that was my excuse for not taking the missus out.

I haven't had an e-mail from Mark yet Sad
Harry Time!

Fat-Dart
#48 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 23:30

FORUM ADDICT!

harry wrote:
I haven't had an e-mail from Mark yet Sad

He'll be sending it out to everyone in due course, no doubt. I only got a reply myself as I emailed him specificaly asking to change the date, so that people can't complain about something being voted on by the dedicated minority, while they were out with their 'other half'.
Edited by Fat-Dart on 08-01-2008 23:30

miq
#49 Print Post
Posted on 08-01-2008 23:40

Home From Home

while they were out with their 'other half'.

So what are you and Billy upto on the 14th. lovedup

Fat-Dart
#50 Print Post
Posted on 09-01-2008 01:39

FORUM ADDICT!

miq wrote:
while they were out with their 'other half'.

So what are you and Billy upto on the 14th. lovedup

Well I'm not paying for his dinner, that's for sure..I haven't won the lottery..
laughing

Lils
#51 Print Post
Posted on 09-01-2008 08:55

Must Get Out More

miq wrote:
[quote]So what are you and Billy upto on the 14th. lovedup

After tonight, I'd hope they'll be up at Suzys practising . . . fishing for a bite

Lils
#52 Print Post
Posted on 09-01-2008 08:59

Must Get Out More

A point that was raised by Garry Rawlings this evening was that with this new format being proposed, he thinks that teams should have the choice of playing up to ten different players if their squad numbers allow them to do so.

This then gives the larger squad a chance to play the majority of their players to encourage people to sign and not have to necessarily sit on the bench, waiting to try to break into the top seven.

Golden
#53 Print Post
Posted on 09-01-2008 18:35

FORUM ADDICT!

I agree . . In addition, I would propose that the KO Cup Semi-Finals and Finals are played over 20 frames with a single frame, three man playoff should the score go 10-10 . .

The longer distance matches would be treated as two seperate league matches so it could be either 4 sets of 5 or 2 sets of 10 dependant on the number of players taking part . . No one player can play more than 4 frames excluding the playoff . .

Any takers?

I will be finalising the proposal and submitting it later this week so if you want your say then here's your chance!

Golden
#54 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 08:07

FORUM ADDICT!

What do people think regarding a proposal for a Division One Singles KO? can be held either on Wednesday Nights or over a couple of Saturdays/Sundays?

Best of 5 frames up to and including the Last 16
Best of 9 frames Quarter-Final
Best of 11 frames Semi-Final
Best of 13 frames Final

andye
#55 Print Post
Posted on 12-01-2008 00:49

Home From Home

if you made it best of 7 in the early rounds then that'd be good.
the only problem is having more than 2 matches in some venues but if suzy q's are sponsoring the league then i'm sure any match clashes could be played there!

10 frame league format is a great idea and one i've done before.
you can play 5 or 10 players and cuts down un/lucky wins as you have to win by 2 frames rather than 1!

Golden
#56 Print Post
Posted on 12-01-2008 02:04

FORUM ADDICT!

It is likely that Rileys would sponsor the event and therefore all fixtures could be played at Purley Way . . An advantage to that is that there would be no table fees and plenty of tables so there would be no problem with best of 9's from the outset . .

Spud
#57 Print Post
Posted on 12-01-2008 14:07

Home From Home

I think that only a players first frame should count towards individuals & rankings, even if they do play twice.
This is becasue, if both frames counted, a lot of people would be reluctant to put they're subs in, so that thier main players can get a stab at the title.
Eventually, maybe a couple of seasons after the 10 frame format has been in play, you can start tweaking the rankings system.
For now, let's not run before we can walk. The main thing we want, is extended matches, thus giving more opportunity for players to play, and more hope of survival for teams on the brink of disbandment.

Golden
#58 Print Post
Posted on 12-01-2008 19:29

FORUM ADDICT!

The proposal (which you are seconding by the way) now includes this Smile

Viper
#59 Print Post
Posted on 13-01-2008 16:46
Must Get Out More

Spud wrote:
I think that only a players first frame should count towards individuals & rankings, even if they do play twice.
This is becasue, if both frames counted, a lot of people would be reluctant to put they're subs in, so that thier main players can get a stab at the title.
Eventually, maybe a couple of seasons after the 10 frame format has been in play, you can start tweaking the rankings system.
For now, let's not run before we can walk. The main thing we want, is extended matches, thus giving more opportunity for players to play, and more hope of survival for teams on the brink of disbandment.
I think too much emphasis is being put the pro's and con's of the ranking/divisional comps. If you take the ranking comp for example re the main singles & doubles comps, there are 50 points available in these comps and if you fall at the first hurdle then you have lost the opportunity to secure another 45. I put up a proposal the other year that at the 2nd stage of the league cup then ranking points should be available for the participating players as all match were being played which was subsequently voted out. The current ranking system has not changed since being devised. I think players should have every opportunity to secure points and if that means that they have 2 cracks at the whip then sobeit. There is an opportunity here to reduce squad sizes which in turn would reduce trohpy costs but moreso with the reduced squad sizes it may in fact generate more teams. This is a massive format change which has had solid comments re the pro's and cons but you are never going to know until its tried. The Plate comps were a change from last season which has had problems in its first year but tweak it properly at the half season meeting and the problems will be corrected. I see no reason why a version of this proposition will not be voted in.

Golden
#60 Print Post
Posted on 14-01-2008 07:21

FORUM ADDICT!

bow

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Tom Telford
Tom Telford
2008 Scotch Doubles Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing