oddball239 weeks
Knocky243 weeks
Teach247 weeks
FoxC260 weeks
cazza265 weeks
andye265 weeks
jacko265 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Format Change Proposal
Golden
#61 Print Post
Posted on 14-01-2008 08:16

FORUM ADDICT!

Ok . . The proposal has been passed on to the people who are going to propose and second it . . The final version reads as follows . .

PROPOSAL ONE ? Summer League Format Change ? To take effect from the Croydon Summer Pool League 2008 Season and every Summer Season thereafter:

Maximum of 10 players per squad
Reducing the squad size in line with the minimum number of players required to form a team

Matches to be played over 10 frames (2 sets of 5)
Giving scope for more frames per night and providing longer match durations to benefit venues

5 players to play first set . . Up to five 'substitutions' can be made in the second set . . Therefore up to 10 players can play in any one match . . Substitutions do not HAVE to be made so there is the possibility that 5 players can play twice per match.

Opportunity for players to play more than one per night . . Less players required to make a match will suit the Summer League where it is thought to be less 'important' than the Winter League and where unfortunately players tend to turn up less frequently . . Less commitment will be required to start and run a team . .

The away team's second set order to change so that no player to play the same opponent more than once per match . .
Self-Explanatory

Only a player's first frame counts towards towards Divisional Singles wins if they play more than one frame in any match
Makes it fair for teams with larger squads

Pick again rule to be scrapped and the minimum number of players required to form an eligible team to be 3.
The format has been changed to aid smaller team/squad sizes and with the matches being played over two sets and a player playing up to two frames, the rule is open to abuse. The 'void' frames will be frames 5 & 10 (and also 4 and 9 where applicable)

KnockOut Cup Semi Final to be played to 3 sets of 5 frames and the KnockOut Cup Final to be played to 4 sets of 5 frames . . The substitution rule is applied again with up to two substitutions permitted with the only stipulation being once a player is substituted they cannot be brought back in later in the match (as in football) . . If the final reaches 10-10 a player is picked by their own team to play a one-frame decider to decide the match outcome
To keep the format in line for both league and cup competitions

To be in place for the Summer League only as a trial run
There are a lot more things to take into account with the Winter League and a lot more can go wrong if the format doesn't work out so the Summer League to be used as the test

Start time to be moved to 8:15pm
To aid the addition of 3 extra frames to a match just in case a match does overrun for any reason

Knockout Cup Semi Finals and Final Format to change to the following:
20-frame matches, played to two sets of 10 (as in two league matches in one) where a player can play up to 4 times in the match but not more than once in any set of 5. If the match is tied at 10-10 the match is to be decided by a single frame, 3-man playoff.
This will keep in line with the format changes outlined above.

The following advisory to be added to help aid these rules take effect:
?Players are expected to try and play their shots within the 1 minute per shot time frame allowed under World Rules?

PLEASE ALLOW THE POINTS LISTED ABOVE TO BE AMENDED ON THE NIGHT WHERE APPROPRIATE

PROPOSAL TWO ? Plate Competition Amendment? To take effect from the Croydon Summer Pool League 2008 Season, to be applied to the Croydon & District Pool League Winter 2008/2009 season and every Summer and Winter season thereafter:

Amend the existing Plate Singles, Doubles and KO Cups to include 1st Division players.
With every team paying the same entry fee, each team should be entitled to enter the same amount of competitions and not be excluded from any part of the league.

PROPOSAL THREE ? Division One Singles KO? To take effect from the Croydon Summer Pool League 2008 Season, to be applied to the Croydon & District Pool League Winter 2008/2009 season and every Summer and Winter season thereafter:

Should the above proposal not be voted in, the following competition should be added to the league schedule to compensate for being excluded from the Plate competitions:

Singles Single Elimination KO for 1st Division Players Only
Matches to be played to the best of 9 frames up to and including the Last 16, Best of 11 frames Quarter-Final, Best of 13 Frames Semi-Final and Best of 15 Frames Final.

chuckles
#62 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 20:14

Home From Home

Is there any reason the member pole for the format change has not been published or was it for your eyes only? Maybe scared it will influence Thursdays 1/2 year meeting?mouthshut
Always have a plan 'B'
Even plan 'B' has failed

harry
#63 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 20:21

Must Get Out More

Its under "polls archive"
Harry Time!

Golden
#64 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 20:22

FORUM ADDICT!

The polls show the results once you have posted them . . Below the current poll there is a link to the poll archive where, as the title suggests, you can view the results of all the previous polls . .

In case that's too difficult for you I can tell you that the poll 79% in favour of the change and if you still require confirmation then you can find the results here

Sass
#65 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 20:30

FORUM ADDICT!

Which reminds me. We could really do with a new poll. Any ideas?

www.croydonpool.com
Dogger
#66 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 22:30

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:

KnockOut Cup Semi Final to be played to 3 sets of 5 frames and the KnockOut Cup Final to be played to 4 sets of 5 frames . . The substitution rule is applied again with up to two substitutions permitted with the only stipulation being once a player is substituted they cannot be brought back in later in the match (as in football) . . If the final reaches 10-10 a player is picked by their own team to play a one-frame decider to decide the match outcome
To keep the format in line for both league and cup competitions

To be in place for the Summer League only as a trial run
There are a lot more things to take into account with the Winter League and a lot more can go wrong if the format doesn't work out so the Summer League to be used as the test

Start time to be moved to 8:15pm
To aid the addition of 3 extra frames to a match just in case a match does overrun for any reason

Knockout Cup Semi Finals and Final Format to change to the following:
20-frame matches, played to two sets of 10 (as in two league matches in one) where a player can play up to 4 times in the match but not more than once in any set of 5. If the match is tied at 10-10 the match is to be decided by a single frame, 3-man playoff.
This will keep in line with the format changes outlined above.

Am i being really thick, or is the Knockout cup mentioned twice above, with slightly different variations? First saying the semi is 3 sets of 5, then the second version saying its 20 frames (2 sets of ten). And also the 3-man playoff bit in the 2nd version??

I probably am being stupid, its been a long day.. lol

Golden
#67 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 22:46

FORUM ADDICT!

You're right . . The first part doesn't apply . . It's the second part that applies . .

The first one was based on up to 7 players playing where as the second one applies when we changed it so that up to 10 players could play . .

I'll email Halsey to let him know of the amendment . . Thanks for noticing it . .

Dogger
#68 Print Post
Posted on 20-02-2008 23:13

Must Get Out More

No worries.

God, I must be so busy at work to sit there, read it all and notice that....

Sting
#69 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 06:55
Quite The Regular

I am in favour of most of the proposed changes but i can see a possible downside. Most people are voting FOR the changes to try and get more players to play, or give a greater opportunity to more fringe players to have a game, BUT at present we guarantee to give 7 different players a game, given the new rules we are only guaranteeing 5 players to get a game based on the teams managers choice over who plays. I can see the more competitive teams just fielding their best 5 players twice to try and get the best results.

This could work against what a lot of people are voting for. I am sure some teams will have more players and will try and spread the games around but i would bet that some of the teams that have been struggling for players over the past few seasons will just field the same 5.

What we are doing is saying that a team of your best 5 players is better than a team of 10 different members of your team, as there is always going to be a big difference between the best and worst players in each team.

We could end up alienating all the 6th/7th/8th/9th/10th players. We could eventually just end up with lots of teams of 5 players which would not do the venues any good either as less people equals less money for them.

I personally would still vote for the rules as a change is what the league needs but we will need to properly evalute the effect of the changes before voting them in on a perm basis.

nuttmeg
#70 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 16:14
Home From Home

I personally would pick every player available to play, maybe even me on the odd occasion. I know some teams could just play their best 5 twice, but eventually they would only have that 5 players giving them no margin for error. More importantly this rule change could stop some famous names and some not so famous from going out of business. Like pint cans of Fosters this is the future.

Sass
#71 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 16:36

FORUM ADDICT!

I'd do the same. Everyone would get a game and 2/3 players would get two based on the first frame performances.

The upshot of all this I guess is that over time players 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 will form new teams which is what is needed.

www.croydonpool.com
Golden
#72 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 16:48

FORUM ADDICT!

There are a lot of different reasons why this proposal has been submitted, some of which are:

1)Squad size reduced to possibly encourage the entry of further teams.
2)Team size reduced to reduce the possibility of teams turning up short.
3)More frames per night to give players the possibility of a second frame per night and to keep teams in the venues longer benefiting venue operators.

The list goes on . .

I can see where Sting is coming from and this is IMO the only argument against the proposal as it's come up a few times . . The way I see it this happens already where by a captain could have a squad of 12 players but only ever plays his strong 7 . . There is no obligation to play weaker players just because they're there . . If we played 15 frames you may well still see the same 7 playing two sets . .

The reason this has been introduced for the Summer League is so that we can gauge it's success in an informal environment . . If it works then we'll roll it out for Summer 2009 & Winter 09/10 onwards and if it doesn't we go back to how it's been for the past 30 years and carry on where we left off . . The best bit is that there's no harm in trying and if the league members are willing to give it a go it could possibly be the biggest change to the league since it started . .

Maybe if it isn't ideal then it could stay just as a Summer format, reverting to the Winter format for what is considered to be the 'important' league . .

chuckles
#73 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 18:38

Home From Home

Reverting back to the old system may not be an option at all. The teams with a strong squad,10-12 players, are going to have to tell the players that are surpas to requirements that they are no longer needed. If at the end of the season the new format is voted out, how many of the players you've just told to bugger off are going to want to come back.
I understand that the league needs more teams, but in the long run these format changes could have the opposite affect.
Always have a plan 'B'
Even plan 'B' has failed

Golden
#74 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 18:45

FORUM ADDICT!

Tell me one team in the league that has 11 or 12 strong players who all play regularly . . I'll tell you a few teams who struggle to get 7 out every week and I guarantee you they'll outweigh them . .

buntycollocks
#75 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 19:26
Quite The Regular

sorry if im thick or something eek2

but as this been decided yet ?

r the changes going 2 happen ?

if not.....when will we know ?

by the way.....i like the proposal.....bout time we might get more then 1 game on a tuesday
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

Shaggy
#76 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 19:28
Must Get Out More

AGM tonight Cliff.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry
#77 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 19:30

Must Get Out More

buntycollocks wrote:

by the way.....i like the proposal.....bout time we might get more then 1 game on a tuesday

WE might get more than 1 game....i thought you had retired, AGAIN?
Harry Time!

Spud
#78 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 19:48

Home From Home

Rare a team has more than 10 regular players.
And even rarer that team in the Summer league.

Cue sports as a whole are not as popular as 10 years ago. Fact.

I think it's important to address that fact, and adapt accordingly.
The summer league, seeing as though it's a very simple format, and a lot shorter in duration, is the ideal ground to try out a radical change.

It will hugely benefit teams struggling with numbers (Which there are loads).
It will hugely benefit attracting more players with the oppurtunity to play 2 frames a night.
It could give birth to more teams, with only 5 required for a legal line up.
It's win / win the way I see it. A positive step to ensure we keep afloat teams that are on the verge of folding, whilst also making the format more attractive for potential teams.

Any new team thinking of starting up will find it considerable easier to get 5 / 6 players than it will 7/8.

nuttmeg
#79 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 22:21
Home From Home

what time does the meeting start tonight

harry
#80 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2008 22:29

Must Get Out More

Starts from 7:45 at South Norwood Liberal Club
Harry Time!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Danny Evans
Danny Evans
Croydon Interleague (Past)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing