Knocky240 weeks
Teach244 weeks
FoxC257 weeks
cazza262 weeks
andye262 weeks
jacko262 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Your top croydon league players of all time.
nuttmeg
#21 Print Post
Posted on 12-05-2011 05:55
Home From Home

of the players I have played with & against over the last 30 years the best was Eddie Taylor,bearing in mind this is Eddie Taylor from 1982-1990, he made every game look easy (the same way as Shaggy & Mev did & does in their prime) Rod,Jacko,Shaggy,Mev,Goldsmith,Jumps,etc are legends but Eddie was the best I've ever played with(in a very very good team he was head and shoulders above all of us including the real Mark Miller),however playing a season with an old Tommy Donlon last year in his prime I bet he was unbeatable but he didn't play in the Croydon league till last year & the Marine broke Moray's hand after slaughtering him so they don't count.

Viper
#22 Print Post
Posted on 12-05-2011 21:38
Must Get Out More

I would agree that Eddie Taylor made the game look so easy and would have to stand out as the overall number 1 to date. Jason Deegan was such an attacking player on his day and when he was on song he was a pleasure to watch. The original Mark Miller had so much skill, but played in my opinion very an un-orthodox but still managed the consistency to be mentioned with all the players on here and I had the pleasure of facing him in the 1984/85 Singles KO Semi-Final where he beat me 3-2 and I believe he went on to take the title that year.

sparks
#23 Print Post
Posted on 13-05-2011 17:52
Home From Home

Sean Lynskey, now there's a name...

I wonder what ever happened to him...

rolling eyes
Edited by sparks on 16-05-2011 00:38

Whatapisstake
#24 Print Post
Posted on 14-05-2011 17:35

Must Get Out More

ive got to say theres a list you could put .. but 3 players stood out for me last year!!!
1.tommy donlon
2.joel bullen
3. eddie taylor

but since ive been in the league ill add a few off my own
sean halligan
rod altes
graf bishop
wayne pope
leon pope
micky samuels
mev ali
kyle pickett
paul wildman
andy esgrove
tony jackson
the list could go on ....
alan memhet
stacy redman
danny kelliher!! i add these players because on form they were class.. and an enjoy to play with..
but the player that i think when he played in croydon pool has my vote is sean halligan on form he is different class..
am not sticking my acheivements down the list is too long lmao surrender

TomK
#25 Print Post
Posted on 15-05-2011 02:22
Quite The Regular

sparks wrote:
Sean Linskie, now there's a name...

I wonder what ever happened to him...

rolling eyes

Ginger haired fella who made it as a pro at snooker?

Brooker
#26 Print Post
Posted on 16-05-2011 19:33
Home From Home

My to 5 would be

Rod Altes
Sean halligan
Jumps
Paul Wildman
Jason Deegan

Dave Houston we have been number 6

I would rather be playing golf

nuttmeg
#27 Print Post
Posted on 17-05-2011 03:07
Home From Home

hate to prove you wrong, but at the height of their powers Eddie & Jumps played two money matches first to eight, Eddie won both 8-3 (Jumps was lucky to get the three) Eddie also used to regularly beat Rod

sparks
#28 Print Post
Posted on 17-05-2011 19:37
Home From Home

Mev, Rod and Jacko
The 3 Amigo's (Bandits of the game)
Incredibly difficult to beat.

Deagan, Dokes and Shaggy
3 pool masters (would certainly be in my top 5)

Taylor, Jumps, and Bishop
Make the game look so easy

Halligan, Pickett, and Pope.
Just win frames from know where. ( Amazing and Outrageous single shot players)

Esgrove, Telford and Tolfrey
Probably have the best all round game (Tactically Potty)
Pressure , what pressure.

The list could go on...........but all these players have won massive amounts of trophies past and present and are rated extremely high.

judge

ThePower
#29 Print Post
Posted on 24-05-2011 16:32

Must Get Out More

Don't think Eddie Taylor was around at the time of the Eden's emergence into the league in 1996, so never seen him play but if some of the fella's above are giving Taylor the nod then he must have been something special.

I reckon the Croydon league should be extremely proud of not only being responsible for producing some home grown talent but also having so many fantastic players take an interest whom lived outside Croydon in wanting to travel and play in the league.

My top 10 players (in no particular order) whom in my time in the league made it look so easy: Paul Wildman, Tony Jackson, Sean Halligan, Rodrigo Altes, Danny Evans, Marc Burnett, Mev Ali, Jason Deegan, Kyle Pickett, Andy Esgrove.

Personally if I had to name one of those above to just edge it then it would be Tony Jackson - tactical genius.

BTW, belated congratulations to the Eagles on winning yet another Winter league title worship, Unpredictables for winning the league cup & to the Cuemasters for taking the K/Out cup.

handbrake
#30 Print Post
Posted on 25-05-2011 17:33
Home From Home

Thought I would throw my tenpence into the ring, I think if the the question is who is the best player to play in Croydon apart from Moran, for me it has to be rod or Sean without doubt, sean has Beaten at least 2 past world champions in a race to 5, and rod won the region 7 tour so many times he got kicked off!! As far as I'm awere they is nobodys name in any of the above posts that come close to what I have mentioned???

Shaggy
#31 Print Post
Posted on 25-05-2011 19:01
Must Get Out More

Many of the names were very much before R7 Tours and the like came into being, (although I know Jumps won Yarmouth flyers in the 80's and the likes of Mev and Eddie won singles national events (Pub Chained Events)), so it is hard to compare older players to the newer players, so I tend to judge by what I have seen. I put Rod top of my list and didn't really include Sean as he was in the league for a particualrly long time. Not that time has any reflection on ability, which Sean obvioulsy has in abundance.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden
#32 Print Post
Posted on 28-05-2011 04:15

FORUM ADDICT!

Whilst Jacko is undoubtedly the most successful player Croydon has ever seen (7 Singles KO's on top of numerous Divisonal Singles and #1 Ranked Player titles says it all), Rod is the best player in my time by some margin.
There will be many people who discredit him for certain 'reasons' but he made the game look very simple and at the same time, played the game how it should be played.

There's very few people who have ever done anything outside of Croydon. Add winning back-to-back flyers in Yarmouth to the bucketload of R7 Tour, Croydon Tour, Croydon Open and other KO titles and you have someone who made the local titles seem pretty small fry.

Other than the two above, you have Shaggy who was the first of the modern era to get out and about, winning then 2nd Croydon Open with nearly 100 players in it, Kyle who could have been something special had he not found out what his dinkle is for, Graf who is hugely underrated, Wayne Pope who if he could be bothered would be smashing people to bits right now and Mev who is not only talented at all cuesports but a ridiculously nice bloke with it.
No Armani No Punani!

Metin250
#33 Print Post
Posted on 28-05-2011 16:41
Home From Home

I think the idea of measuring the best player ever for all his singles ( best of 3 I may add)and winning their 1st frame is stupid and u can't use that as a way because there r players who never take it serious and don't even bother with it! The way it should be measured is how many league titles the team has won and who was the most influential for that team. It is as everyone knows a team game and I would rather win leagues and cups as a team than as an individual in Croydon league.
How many players dropped out the first round of singles in winter coz they did nt want to travel? IMO

Brooker
#34 Print Post
Posted on 31-05-2011 21:30
Home From Home

I dropped out of the 1st round of the singles because i was drawn away to the Goodfellas, sod that, it was over 5 tables away.

SCORCHIO12
#35 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2013 19:13

Must Get Out More

Thought i would re-ignite this thread due to the money match thread re:Rod Altes.

Rod appears to get many peoples votes...

I personally would still have Jason as my no1 and Mev / Rod very closely behind (and im talking about these players in their prime).
Edited by SCORCHIO12 on 09-04-2013 19:14

Viper
#36 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2013 20:59
Must Get Out More

Very hard to name one individual and before the days of The Eagles there was a team called The Characters who were made up quality players in there days, Ray Tolfrey (Snr), Jess Chatwell etc etc etc but I think what we can all agree on is that Croydon has over the last 40 odd years produced some very solid players and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.

jacko
#37 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2013 22:07
Must Get Out More

Iv yet to comment on this but obviously records don't lie n if u asked many Ov the top players who they ad a losing record against then the answer would b clear...it's funny seeing this thread n thinking wel Iv probably beat so n so 50 out Ov 70 times wev played n yet people av him above u...bizarre it's like how many times must u prove ur dominance to b noticed...the thing is I believe u must Ava all round game n yet people get dazzled by potters n outrageous shots rather than machine like players...tiger woods is not the flashes driver Ov the ball but his Wil to win n all round game n responding to pressure rather than crumbling proves he's the best in the modern era n his record also proves it...I no the answer to this thread but people Ov simple minds like watching fireworks butter wouldn't melt ...

Brooker
#38 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2013 23:10
Home From Home

jacko wrote:
Iv yet to comment on this but obviously records don't lie n if u asked many Ov the top players who they ad a losing record against then the answer would b clear...it's funny seeing this thread n thinking wel Iv probably beat so n so 50 out Ov 70 times wev played n yet people av him above u...bizarre it's like how many times must u prove ur dominance to b noticed...the thing is I believe u must Ava all round game n yet people get dazzled by potters n outrageous shots rather than machine like players...tiger woods is not the flashes driver Ov the ball but his Wil to win n all round game n responding to pressure rather than crumbling proves he's the best in the modern era n his record also proves it...I no the answer to this thread but people Ov simple minds like watching fireworks butter wouldn't melt ...

You are talking about Clive Taylor aren't you ?

jacko
#39 Print Post
Posted on 10-04-2013 00:18
Must Get Out More

yes m8,do u remember wen I played him up frames n the balls wer spread around the table but I left the white ina place where he woz fckd n did not av any kind ov shot to play without leaving me the dish so he stood there looking at the table for at least 5 6minutes n then smashd the granny out ov em ina pure hit n hope fashion n it workd...hes defo got the fireworks... butter wouldn't melt ...

Knocky
#40 Print Post
Posted on 10-04-2013 00:24
Must Get Out More

Wow great reading and lots of different opinuns but one name not mentioned who is a true legion is the one and only mick o donnell who I have played in his team for 20 plus years. Could pot a ball from anywhere not nessisary in the pocket he was going for. legionedGrin
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Danny Evans
Danny Evans
Croydon Interleague (Past)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing