jacko262 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
7th. Farley Championship.
Golden
#41 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 21:36

FORUM ADDICT!

And as for others who are putting their two cents worth in, how about they try and put something back into the game that they so readily take from eh?

I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion as I've actively tried to improve pool in Croydon over recent years . . I don't see may others being able to hold their hand up and say the same . .
No Armani No Punani!

harry
#42 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 21:38

Must Get Out More

:swearShocki you cheeky sod, he didnt mention anything about me not being good enough to affect the outcome!!!
Edited by harry on 23-09-2008 21:42
Harry Time!

Golden
#43 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 22:04

FORUM ADDICT!

In that case why are the likes of Jacko or Graham not allowed to enter? If it's a case of the likes of me not being able to enter as my face doesn't fit then I can understand that but a regular like Jacko would absolutely rape the competition . .

Saxton was told that officially it's Division Two and below yet unofficially if he were to turn up on the day then the likelihood is that he'll get in . . So if Jacko were to turn up on the day of the 8th Farley Championship and there were spaces would he get a look in?

People seem to be missing the point somewhat . . It's no secret that there's no love lost between certain parties in this thread, myself included, but at the same time what was a prestigious tournament before Sunday seems to have got caught up in airport runs and ineligible players being able to participate because the competition wasn't full . .

Free speech is all about being able to throw your two cents worth about and if the fragile egos at work were to take on board some of this then we wouldn't be having such conversations in the first place . .

On top of that, a post above says that no-one is complaining . . I can assure you that isn't the case as otherwise how on earth would I have caught wind of it? I don't make these things up . .

I like to think that I know a thing or two about running a competition so it's not like I'm shooting the breeze with nothing to back it up with unlike others who are more than ready to jump down people's throats . .
No Armani No Punani!

ThePower
#44 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 22:15

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
And as for others who are putting their two cents worth in, how about they try and put something back into the game that they so readily take from eh?

I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion as I've actively tried to improve pool in Croydon over recent years . . I don't see may others being able to hold their hand up and say the same . .

Dan, I think the neutral onlooker appreciates that Harry played when under his current Div 1 summer status he should not have done. If you look at the entry rules then it was a valid point.

Dave, however, has clearly responded and advised that it's his comp, he runs the comp, it's held in his pub and therefore it was at his discretion to allow Harry to play.

I am guessing that if anyone has a problem with that or how Dave runs his events then we'll have to wait and see what kind of turn out he gets for the next one.

Likewise, you and others are entitled to raise the point and have an opinon. Nobody, I think has or can ever question the contribution you have personally made to Croydon pool over the past 5 years or so. The difference is you made those contributions in your time and at expense to yourself whereas Dave is in business to make a profit so if its means he has to stretch the rules on the day if the numbers don't stack up then he has the right to think of foremost making a living.

I have to say, and you know I always speak my mind, but you guys who have raised the point of Harry's entry could have done so without making it look like you have a personal crusade against Dave / the Farley. Wink
Edited by ThePower on 23-09-2008 22:48

Golden
#45 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 22:45

FORUM ADDICT!

I totally agree but we all know it's gone well past that so it won't be seen as anything other than being personal . .

Earlier in this thread that I posted a sensible and legitimate question which went without reply yet there's a quick enough reply when there are posts of a different nature . . Why wasn't my original post replied to? Is it because Harry's entry was known about and kept quiet? Is it because, as per a conversation with Charles Burrows weeks ago, that the competition was over half full already regardless of the fact that the competition listing was empty when advertised on this site?

Even if the reply is "Danny you're not welcome at the Farley" or "What the fcuk has it got to do with you" then at least I know where I stand as we're all adults after all.

My post regarding Harry's entry came after this post

Golden wrote:
Is this still Division Two and below for both Winter and Summer?

Also, is the plate free-to-enter or is there an additional fee?

I get no reply to that and then see a Division One player played in the competition yet for bringing it up I get branded a "pathetic c*nt" by one individual . .

. . I know for an absolute fact that it would have been brought up by someone if it were a competition that I were involved in as it's happened before.

My post isn't aimed at Harry as being a Division One standard player I'd love to enter a competition full of lower league players given half the chance . . It's aimed at the principle behind it all . . As you have said, Dave is entitled to run his competitions as he sees fit but when they're advertised publicly then surely there is an element of accountability somewhere?
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 23-09-2008 22:49
No Armani No Punani!

ThePower
#46 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 23:03

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:

Even if the reply is "Danny you're not welcome at the Farley" or "What the fcuk has it got to do with you" then at least I know where I stand as we're all adults after all.

I get no reply to that and then see a Division One player played in the competition yet for bringing it up I get branded a "pathetic c*nt" by one individual . .

Dan, I really don't need to answer that. You don't need me to tell you that there is no love lost between you and Dave so I guess you really can't be that surprised if your questions get treated with no response.

The comp was probably full in principal even before an article was ever submitted on the site because its always been a popular tournament and there are 20 odd players from the Farley who will get wind of the event before the Croydon masses do.

Dave has now responded and has confirmed it is his comp so he will make the decisions as he see's fit, and basically that's closure.

Of course, if Dave's response has upset certain individuals then the answer to them is don't turn up for the next one.
Edited by ThePower on 23-09-2008 23:15

Golden
#47 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 23:25

FORUM ADDICT!

ThePower wrote:
Dan, I really don't need to answer that. You don't need me to tell you that there is no love lost between you and Dave so I guess you really can't be that surprised if your questions get treated with no response.

I agree but in the same breath I'm the one who as part my remit as site webmaster administer the site that the articles and forums of the event goes on so over and above all that surely common courtesy extends both ways?

Like you say, Dave will run his competitions as he sees fit . .

. . you can only try so much.

harry
#48 Print Post
Posted on 23-09-2008 23:48

Must Get Out More

Ffs, i wish I hadn't played now!!!!

Dan, I don't know what the issue is between you and Dave, and to be honest I don't really want to know. But Dave was nice enough to let me into the comp, rightly or wrongly.

I apologise to any player who was there, who wasn't happy about it, but everyone who played didn't show they were disgruntled!

As I said before, I was a reserve, and I would never dream of taking someone elses place if it had been full. I made the numbers up, paid my tenner and had a good day. To me it was competitive practise.

Hand on heart, if I had won it, and it had caused an uproar, I would have happily given the money to charity.
Harry Time!

Foxy
#49 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:02

Quite The Regular

I have to say as a lower league player that was at the comp on Sunday, that I didn't hear anyone complaining about Harry playing. There were two no shows on the day and the two reserves took their places to keep the numbers up. I'm sure that if other players had shown an interest that Dave wouldn't have had a problem putting them on the reserve list.
I would also like to say that I'm not aware of the matches being held up for 45 minutes whilst someone had to run an urgent errand. And, in fact, that player did split their winnings with players that may have had their matches delayed for a short period to show their appreciation and in the goodwill of sportsmanship.
It seems that there is a lot being said about the way the comp is run, but as has been stated, Dave runs the comp and his decision in anything is final.
I'm sure that there will still be a good attendance at the next one

Golden
#50 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:12

FORUM ADDICT!

Foxy wrote:
I'm sure that if other players had shown an interest that Dave wouldn't have had a problem putting them on the reserve list.

So you're saying if Rod or Jacko for example had turned up on the day they would been allowed to enter? rolling eyes

I am sure the next competition will be well attended as there is a strong Division 2-5 contingent playing out of the Farley who will support their venue . . I never said otherwise . . I'm just highlighting a glaringly big inconsistency . .

That's where you're all getting hung up . . I would have pointed this out regardless of the competition organiser as I take pride in running competitions how they should be run . . Everyone else on the other hand are boarding up the windows, grabbing their pitchforks and lighting their flaming torches to protect their leader like it's some sort of turf war rolling eyes
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 24-09-2008 00:13

Foxy
#51 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:19

Quite The Regular

Fieldsy wrote:
Do know the more i think bout it ,the organiser has to be a cunt to let his puppets put themselfs on the line at his expense ,charging over priced drinks ,no music and no sky sports,to regulars and hides and cant even write bout his own tournament ,the guys pathetic and its time he hung his boot up (no,not her ,even though u all thought it )butter wouldn't melt ...

Maybe it's the above quote from Fieldsy that has got everyone up in arms...not the fact of Div 1 players playing.
Dave does a lot to help and support the teams that play out of his venue and as such, his players will support him

Lils
#52 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:20

Must Get Out More

JugglingSpence wrote:
So I guess that means you won't be entering next year... just like this year and last.

In fact you have strong opinions for someone who hasn't shown any interest in this competition until now. I guess you must be looking out for us lower league players because I know you wouldn't come on this site simply to stir things up. Good for you thumb

Grow up Spencer - why on earth would I have shown an interest or asked to enter a competition which until up to last weekend was something I WASN'T ALLOWED TO ENTER BECAUSE I WAS A DIVISION ONE PLAYER?!!!!!

What you're trying to say is that if you're not eligible for something because the rules say so, when the rules are broken to suit the Organisers, you're not entitled or allowed to mention it?

I guess you're yet another one with a 'vested interest'. Good for you. thumb

Golden
#53 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:20

FORUM ADDICT!

Foxy wrote:
I have to say as a lower league player that was at the comp on Sunday, that I didn't hear anyone complaining about Harry playing. There were two no shows on the day and the two reserves took their places to keep the numbers up.

This is exactly my point . . This is going to sound horrible to Harry and I don't mean it to as I love him to bits but you won't get people complaining as Harry isn't a Rod or a Kyle or a Shaggy . . What it does do however is set a very dangerous precedence by where entry criteria moves from being set in stone to personal judgement at the expense of another 'bum on a seat' and when a competition is marketed around it being of a specific standard that is a very important point to raise is it not?

I don't expect Dave to all of a sudden put strict guidelines in place for future Farley Championships . . Far from it in fact . . But to suggest that it didn't warrant any airtime is way off the mark especially in an age where nearly everything aired on this site is subject to scrutiny of one form or another.

Lils
#54 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:35

Must Get Out More

Foxy wrote:
Fieldsy wrote:
Do know the more i think bout it ,the organiser has to be a cunt to let his puppets put themselfs on the line at his expense ,charging over priced drinks ,no music and no sky sports,to regulars and hides and cant even write bout his own tournament ,the guys pathetic and its time he hung his boot up (no,not her ,even though u all thought it )butter wouldn't melt ...

Maybe it's the above quote from Fieldsy that has got everyone up in arms...not the fact of Div 1 players playing.

So you think that because one person puts THAT particular comment, it's then justified for people like Chris Knock to call others c*nts and others to start laying into those who are simply pointing out that the Comp is for Div 2 - 5 players, yet a Div 1 player entered?

The reason no-one complained publically on the day is because I doubt they have the balls to say it publically. They wait til they leave, or whisper it amongst themselves so they don't get in trouble. Too many people do that because then they don't get called 'c*nts' by ignorant people who only want to take everything they can and let others do the hard work of organising the comps they play in.

My point was simple and not personal in the slightest. I organised a comp for both Div 1 and div 2 and below players as a double eliminator last year at Rileys. I was picked up on 2 players who had tried to enter the Div 2 side of the draw as they had played in Div 1 the previous season. Therefore, the rules I had made meant they had to enter the Div 1 side, regardless of ability.
If i'd let them in the Div 2 side and got grief for it, then I'd have expected it. Simple.

If people can't see that as an Organiser, if you start changing the rules after you've got peoples money or just before a comp because it suits you that you might be in for questions why, then there's a real problem.

The Power managed to spot what was being said and post in a level-headed manner, and that's not Al at all! People automatically think it's personal. Well, if Hannah at Rileys or Dave & Tom at Surrey had done the same, I'd have posted and asked why.

Burn
#55 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 00:48

Quite The Regular

laughing

You lot are mad.

How many people involved in this feud have been at various points, best mates, sworn enemies, best mates again, and then sworn enemies.

Relax. Have a beer. Ride a chicken. Saxton Chicken
Edited by Burn on 24-09-2008 00:50

http://www.surreypool.com
Golden
#56 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 01:05

FORUM ADDICT!

You think this is mad! Remember THIS? laughing
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 24-09-2008 01:07
No Armani No Punani!

Burn
#57 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 01:21

Quite The Regular

Ahahaha, that thread was brilliant.

I still stand by everything I said too. At the time the Unpredictabkles was being run like a Trinity rather than a Team. Anyways blah. I was right then and I'm right now Smile

The point I'm making here is, everyone knows the history, not least because much of it has been played out on here in public - so no-one will see beyond that fact, whether you have a valid point or not.

So with that in mind, everything that you say will be categorised on that basis, and whatever they say likewise, so it's all a bit pointless.

...and never the twain shall meet.

I blame Fieldsy - because he is mad. Properly mad. Not like "Ha ha he's mad he is", but properly "Nurse, get the syringe, and call security" mad big grin

By the way, ages since I logged in, nice to see so much more involvement on the site from the lower divisions, particularly as regards Wednesday match reports and scores.

So many positives here - so you should all leave your guns at the door Smile

P.S. I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy of what I'm saying, given my recent public spat with Monsiour Lambert on t'other site. But I'm still right Wink
Edited by Burn on 24-09-2008 01:27

http://www.surreypool.com
Golden
#58 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 01:50

FORUM ADDICT!

Good shout . .

To be fair it's no secret that Fieldsy's elevator doesn't go to the top floor . . I for one know just how detached he is . . Even as recent as last night we found out that not all is well but I suppose at least you know where you stand with him laughing
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 24-09-2008 02:03
No Armani No Punani!

Whatapisstake
#59 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 07:31

Must Get Out More

thanks mate but its waters not walters:razz: i think there are a few issues on this thread witch havnt nothing 2 do with the comp.. am going 2 make my point i waited up 2 nearly 5 hours 2 play my game time was running out and i said that i had 2 take my brother in law 2 the airport there were still games 2 play thought i would make it back in time i didnt i did tell steve that laurie could calm it if he wanted him being a real gent held out till i got back and yes beat him went on 2 win the event but being a sportsman i gave him part of winnings as 4 harry and luke they made up the numbers and were well pissed b 4 the start of the game not 1 person moaned it was a fantasic day and i will turn up as well as any player that came that day when the next 1 is arranged Shockne:
am not sticking my acheivements down the list is too long lmao surrender

harry
#60 Print Post
Posted on 24-09-2008 13:29

Must Get Out More

During all this, I omitted to congratulate Andrew.

Well done mate.

Incidentally, I wasnt that pissed!
Harry Time!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Candy and Lauren
Candy and Lauren
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing