oddball253 weeks
Knocky258 weeks
Teach261 weeks
FoxC274 weeks
cazza279 weeks
andye279 weeks
jacko279 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
bonus points
jacko
#1 Print Post
Posted on 23-02-2013 02:35
Must Get Out More

just ada quick look at the league standings n tis quiet shocking that 2 ov the bottom 3 at the halfway stage in div1 ad winning match records,something doesnt seem right there,i fancy proposing a 2point bonus for the win at the next agm,also if tied at 5.5 there should b a 3man play off for the match point,best ov 3....also dont think 5 ranking points for a league cup win is right either maybe 4 would b fairer as u only get 5.25 for a div1 win so how can playing a lower divisional player b rated harder than winning a div2 frame...any thougths?butter wouldn't melt ...

andye
#2 Print Post
Posted on 23-02-2013 21:40

Home From Home

i can see your point jacko, but i think this method keeps things more open. i.e. when it gets to the end of the season a team 2 wins ahead can't be caught whereas 5 or 6 points difference and anything is possible.
you could do points or frames but i don't think both
i actually prefered the 10 frame format as the win got you a 2 point advantage as opposed to the single point it does now. some matches deserve a draw.... it's not like we're american and have to have a winner!

as for ranking points in the league cup if you beat a div 1 player then you should get 5.25 (unless it's nuttman) but if you beat a div 4 player then you should get those equivalent points. that would be a night mare to calculate so maybe the average of all the divisions is the way forward, whtever those points are

Metin250
#3 Print Post
Posted on 24-02-2013 04:47
Home From Home

WHO CARES ????
YNWA

jacko
#4 Print Post
Posted on 24-02-2013 10:09
Must Get Out More

Maybe no1 met ,just I for1 would like our league to b the best n fairest n Ava true reflection,I think winning is important along with all the passion wat goes along with it..points bonuses would giv every team a chance to improve there standings throughout the season n keep things more competitive amongst teams who wer near each other n stop teams throwing the towel in as such,maybe even a bonus point for each set mite stop sum teams rolling over if they've Ada bad 1st set...Justa thought..just av trouble with the bottom team avin a winning match record,don't seem right...it's the same as div4 winners getting the same trophies as div1 winners,surely to god u or ur teams achievements should count for something as in the better u do the better the reward...it's a complete joke really sum things don't seem right..butter wouldn't melt ...

nuttmeg
#5 Print Post
Posted on 24-02-2013 16:33
Home From Home

Oy Esgrove it's Mr Nuttman to you and if any body beats me they deserve 10 points 😳

Teach
#6 Print Post
Posted on 24-02-2013 22:19

Home From Home

It does look rather ridiculous having a team with one win sitting above a team with 5 wins (albeit the latter having a game in hand). However, if you have one team losing consistently 6-5, up against another winning 9-2 one week then losing by the same score the next, I'm not sure who deserves the most points....

Personally, I think there should be play-offs for promotion and relegation, particularly in the summer - now that would liven up proceedings!! Anyone willing to second that at the next AGM?
Knockout Cup Winners 2011, 2014 trophyone

Division One Summer Champs 2011, 2012, 2015 trophyone

Big Ben Ten
#7 Print Post
Posted on 24-02-2013 23:05

Home From Home

Id be in favour of a bonus point for a team win in addition to a point per frame. wouldnt vote for playoffs though. I think you'll be where you deserve to be at the end of the season and playoffs could potentially prove an injustice in a lot of cases.

While we're on the subject of reform and all that, what are people's thoughts on changing a couple of the singles frames in the league games to scotch doubles. We did it in Nottingham and keeps people interested through the night (say frame 5 and 10). Bit drastic for the prestigious winter league but could be good fun for summer......
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
BUNTER
#8 Print Post
Posted on 25-02-2013 00:25
Quite The Regular

Last year the Eden only lost 2 games all season and finished about 4th so maybe bonus points would be a good idea.
NAMES WIN FRAMES

Cyber The Crucifier
#9 Print Post
Posted on 25-02-2013 02:10
Home From Home

I think they should have bonus points for a team that wins gives more of a incentive

Special K
#10 Print Post
Posted on 25-02-2013 07:14
Must Get Out More

Big Ben Ten wrote:
Id be in favour of a bonus point for a team win in addition to a point per frame. wouldnt vote for playoffs though. I think you'll be where you deserve to be at the end of the season and playoffs could potentially prove an injustice in a lot of cases.

While we're on the subject of reform and all that, what are people's thoughts on changing a couple of the singles frames in the league games to scotch doubles. We did it in Nottingham and keeps people interested through the night (say frame 5 and 10). Bit drastic for the prestigious winter league but could be good fun for summer......

Ben I love that scotch idea something different I wud 2nd that personally I really enjoy playing scotch with a certain mr Krish.

Brilliant idea Ben!!!
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Whatapisstake
#11 Print Post
Posted on 25-02-2013 15:34

Must Get Out More

Whacko I did mention this a while back now ...
I played in the Woolwich league were it was 3 sets of 5 and you would get a bonus point each set you won ...
You could do the same in Croydon 2 sets of 5 bonus point per set as certain players wouldn't want the 15 frames brought in .. Just an idea
am not sticking my acheivements down the list is too long lmao surrender

EmDee
#12 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 16:25

Home From Home

Bonus points for the win will just make people take it more seriously, which if you ask me is not needed.

There are a few players who might find themselves not being given a game at all in order for the team to win which - in my opinion - is not what it's about.

It's all about how many frames you win anyway right? How is that 'unfair'?

http://www.joincrash.com
Blockapocket
#13 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 19:02
Home From Home

didn't we move from 10 frames to 11 so there was a winner.

bonus points wouldn't be needed if teams get there game together and get better match results,
the draw has been removed, (play hard win big)
bonus's you sound like bankers.....
Edited by Blockapocket on 26-02-2013 19:06

SCORCHIO12
#14 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 19:47

Must Get Out More

As i represent the team currently holding up the table i still believe that the bonus points are not good for the league.

The problem we have is that the games we have lost have been 10-1 9-2s and have all but one of those games been truly punished.

If you can win just dont get smashed...

Simples....

Otherwise teams at the top will just have a greater gap with the 2 win bonus as we have seen in previous seasons. If your only winning 6-5s then do you really deserve an additional 2 points?

Chuckie
#15 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 20:06

Quite The Regular

I personally never got a vote for the illogical 11th frame... What is wrong with the possibility of a draw in a structured league format?

Bonus points for wins/draws are logical therefore have my vote!

Looking at the tables now, if extra points were rewarded then league positions would remain roughly the same. The top teams earn those small advantages.
Taking my shots looking cool, my self-esteem?s growing tall.
Losing eyes this game is cruel. I do my thing playing pool.

http://www.myspace.com/whitgift
Shaggy
#16 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 20:20
Must Get Out More

Someone looked through the history of the Winter League (think it was Power) and I dont think that there was ever an occasios that a team who won the league, wouldn't have if there were bonus points, or vice versa.

House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special K
#17 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 20:26
Must Get Out More

If its not broke dont try and fix it! Personally I think bringing in that 11th frame is the best answer to any thing who wants to come out and play a game for a pauxy draw. Happy with the way croydon is. butter wouldn't melt ...
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

jacko
#18 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 20:36
Must Get Out More

logically there is gona always b a big gap between top n bottom n sum teams r gona fight for the title, others mid table n others ina relegation dog fight...i just kinda see it as these scenarios wil b enhanced if there is say a point per set bonus n maybe half point for the match win bonus,this way i would imagine there wil b a chance for teams to improve there position dramatically all the way to the end ov the season n not giv up...bit like football with there bein 3points for win n 1for the draw teams ava chance to move up the table quickly if they get a few good results,kinda almost making games like cup games a bit where ur rewarded for ur efforts,to many teams i feel drop there eds n giv up a little n bonus points per set wil always giv them the chance to get sumthin out ov the game say if theyv ada bad 1st set...also in football its rarely about goal difference tis more about matches won...i dono i just think it mite keep things a bit more lively giv every1 a bit more incentive...butter wouldn't melt ...

Fat-Dart
#19 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 20:57

FORUM ADDICT!

Shaggy wrote:
Someone looked through the history of the Winter League (think it was Power) and I dont think that there was ever an occasios that a team who won the league, wouldn't have if there were bonus points, or vice versa.

I remember that and was just looking through the minutes of previous years to see if I could find reference to it but no luck. I thought it was Danny Evans who worked it out but either way, the result as you quite rightly state was that the bonus points were superfluous.

As has also been mentioned, frames mean points so surely it's the fairest system. If a team needs to rely on bonus points to gain places in the league then they're clearly not winning enough. Scraping through games 6-5 won't win the league, as Goodfellas are also finding out but that's our problem, not the system's. Win more, you win more. Simple.

Chuckie
#20 Print Post
Posted on 26-02-2013 21:05

Quite The Regular

The 11th frame should be scotch doubles. Not only will more players get additional frames, but also it will have more of a team feel about it.
Taking my shots looking cool, my self-esteem?s growing tall.
Losing eyes this game is cruel. I do my thing playing pool.

http://www.myspace.com/whitgift
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Andy Quinn
Andy Quinn
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing