oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Interleague
 Print Thread
Croydon B 2010 Interleague Trials
TomT
#1 Print Post
Posted on 23-01-2010 18:42
Quite The Regular

What? Croydon 'B' 2010 Interleague Trials
When? Saturday 13th of February, for a 12:30 registration
Where? Rileys Purley Way
There will be a ?3 entry fee in rder to help pay for admin throughout the year.
A Swiss System will run throughout the trials.

Whatapisstake
#2 Print Post
Posted on 23-01-2010 21:58

Must Get Out More

i find this a waste of time... save your money just turn up when interleague starts... as like others that have done, and seem to get in 2 the team without going to trials...
am not sticking my acheivements down the list is too long lmao surrender

Kyle
#3 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 02:20
Getting The Hang Of It

Grow up!!!!!!!!

Whatapisstake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 05:57

Must Get Out More

Umm nicely put mr Pickett.... But am voicing an opinion I would like to see a change the 2 seasons I played people seemed to walk in though the back door which I think is unfair on the people that pay let's hope this is so ..

TomT
#5 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 17:36
Quite The Regular

I suppose you could save ur money, afterall ?3 for a full day of pool which would otherwise cost you around ?20 is a bit of a rip off.

Blockapocket
#6 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 20:51
Home From Home

Croydon have always held new season trials, So turn up
pay your money playwell get a place in the team.

Take part Instead of taking the P-SS

Kyle
#7 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 21:33
Getting The Hang Of It

dotcom wrote:
Umm nicely put mr Pickett.... But am voicing an opinion I would like to see a change the 2 seasons I played people seemed to walk in though the back door which I think is unfair on the people that pay let's hope this is so ..

i think your find the changes were made last season so your a bit behind the times mate!!! As for your opinion if you stopped chatting bull on here and actually played those money matches you promised everyone then people would probably take your opinion on board!!!!

TomT
#8 Print Post
Posted on 24-01-2010 22:26
Quite The Regular

After complainin about having to pay the equivalent to a bus ticket, it's no suprise those money matches flop snigger

Rainbow
#9 Print Post
Posted on 25-01-2010 04:54

Quite The Regular

I must admit, the trails have not always been the best way to get quality players to play for you. I have twice now tried-out for the Croydon team, both times had 'bad days at the office' you could say. OK, I'am not surggesting for a moment that I am the 'dogs bollcks' at all things Red & Yellow, but on merrit alone I think I should play for Croydon, most of the Croydon 'B' team who know me will proberly agree. Sorry I will not be turning up at the trails...but if you fail to find ahalf decent player amoungst those that do,...you know where to find me.

Regards
Rainbow
butter wouldn't melt ...

Spud
#10 Print Post
Posted on 25-01-2010 19:32

Home From Home

Rainbow wrote:
I must admit, the trails have not always been the best way to get quality players to play for you. I have twice now tried-out for the Croydon team, both times had 'bad days at the office' you could say. OK, I'am not surggesting for a moment that I am the 'dogs bollcks' at all things Red & Yellow, but on merrit alone I think I should play for Croydon, most of the Croydon 'B' team who know me will proberly agree. Sorry I will not be turning up at the trails...but if you fail to find ahalf decent player amoungst those that do,...you know where to find me.

Regards
Rainbow
butter wouldn't melt ...

The trials are the fairest way possible to give everyone that thinks they have what it takes to get in the side.

Hughie (Team Manager) will have limited knowledge of players outside the top division or players from other venues other than Suzy's.
So it could be that a gem of a player goes under the radar and gets missed.

With the trials, it matters not what division you play in, or how much experience you have, everyone has an equal chance to qualify, and of course, catch the eye of the team manager on the day.
It's done the exact same way at county level.

Every now and again, a player does have a bad at the office, it's inevitable, but the cream generally will float to the top so to speak.

To not qualify twice does seem strange given the fact you got to the Singles final in the Summer am I right? But this should only make you more determined to do it this time round. I know that's the way I'd see it, becasue if you have the talent, which you evidently do, then you should get in more often than you don't.

What I will say is the trials are done over single frame format.
You play lots of different players, over one frame each.
This seems harsh, as it flys in the face of better players will thrive over longer distance, but it's done this way to mirror the way that Interleague is played (County too).

If you did get through, you would play different players, over a single frame, in an extension of what we all play on tuesday nights, so the trials in that respect are very relevant.

If your strengths lie in playing an opponent over longer distance, i.e. best of 3's / 5's / 7's, then maybe Interleague is not really for you???
Just a thought.

In conclusion, what I will say, is that this is Hughie's first full year as team manager, and it will be done a bit differently.

I can't speak for Hughie, but I'm fairly confident in saying that NOT trialing, but issuing a "You know where I am if you want me" response, will not put you at the head of the queue.

Knocky
#11 Print Post
Posted on 25-01-2010 22:47
Must Get Out More

after the success of last season i hope that theres going to be loads of players that attend the trials,playing for croydon wether its in the a or b team is a great experiance and good fun with the possability of going to yarmouth which is an experiance in itself.
last season has seen croydon b team qualify for yarmouth which will be later this year so chaps get down to rileys and be apart of the interleague setup,(you wont regret it)
are there any current members of the b team that do not have to trial as they reached a certain percentage ?
can hughie and mick confirm who these players are ?thumb
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Whatapisstake
#12 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 04:36

Must Get Out More

am going to start this as am not trying to mock the interleague, but the set-up could b made different ...
this is my opinion..
croydon should hold A-B-C trials....
div 1 players should try out for the A team as i think the strongest players are of course in this league
div 2 players should try out for B
and u could even put a croydon C team together made up of the other divs 3,4,5 as mark said at presentation there are around 650 players registered... it can also give lower div players a chance at improving there game .... if not then i think u could have a points system of players that have gone out there way turned up paid there money ... my point is that A and B seem to let players sign up yet didnt take the time out to turn up for the trials thats whats i beleive takes the piss .... i wish croydon interleague all the best and good luck to those who do turn up...i loved playing for them and the experenice u can gain playing better players is fantastic....stayontopic
Edited by Whatapisstake on 26-01-2010 04:39

Luke
#13 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 06:12

Home From Home

I think there could be a C team too. I known there is quite a bit of interest from Croydon players. At the moment, I'm guessing there wont be many places up for grabs in the A's/B's? Does anyone know how it would work if Croydon were to put a C team in (maybe not this season but in the future some time)
Patch! whip

JugglingSpence
#14 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 16:07

Home From Home

dotcom wrote:
am going to start this as am not trying to mock the interleague, but the set-up could b made different ...
this is my opinion..
div 1 players should try out for the A team as i think the strongest players are of course in this league
and u could even put a croydon C team together made up of the other divs 3,4,5 as mark said at presentation there are around 650 players registered... it can also give lower div players a chance at improving there game .... if not then i think u could have a points system of players that have gone out there way turned up paid there money ... my point is that A and B seem to let players sign up yet didnt take the time out to turn up for the trials thats whats i beleive takes the piss .... i wish croydon interleague all the best and good luck to those who do turn up...i loved playing for them and the experenice u can gain playing better players is fantastic....stayontopic

Oh my god... That is actually 2 sensible posts that I can remember from Andy now... I'd even be inclined to agree with this one Shock
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

Fat-Dart
#15 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 19:07

FORUM ADDICT!

JugglingSpence wrote:
Oh my god... That is actually 2 sensible posts that I can remember from Andy now... I'd even be inclined to agree with this one Shock

As ThePower once said..

"Careful, Spence, it's easy to get lured in"

laughing

TomT
#16 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 20:29
Quite The Regular

dotcom wrote:
this is my opinion..

I understand what you mean, however surely it would be unfair on the 1st division players who are unable to play 'A' team standard pool. If you restrict the B team to Division 2 players only, then you are stopping them from playing interleague all together. You must find a happy medium where you can have a combination of quality whilst at the same time planning for the future of Croydonpool.

However, in the meantime I feel that it is more important to boost Croydon's reputation and put the higher quality players on show for the rest of Sureey to see. Once this is achieved we can beging to work on pushing new talent through and progressing.

Shaggy
#17 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 20:52
Must Get Out More

Hi all,

Historically a player got retained in the Squad if he had more than 57% for that season or historically over the years of service. Players returning that had previously had averages above this were welcomed to return on a case by case basisi, although whether this is actaully in the constitution of the team I do not know. Trials exist because they are a fundamental rule adopted when the teams were first created.

Anyone who failed to hit the averages had to retrail, and take their chances against any new players that wanted to play.The players were not A or B Team players. They were in the squad at which point the two captains and latterly Team Manager had the power to select the A and B Teams from the pool of players that existed.

The issue over recent years is that people have indicated they would play for X or Y Team for varying reasons, when ultimately its not their choice its the captains/managers. This is my opinion has brought some division within the squad and may be a contributing factor in the past to the 'play my mates' approach.

Anyhow hopefully this year Hughie and the B Team captain will decide on the merits of the players after the trials have been completed, and the manner in which the teams are managed will be more transparent and fair.

Incidentally the trials have always been open and at the time I started playing in the 1990 season, their were 50+ players at trials for 4 or 5 spaces. It should be a privelige to represent the league, not a chore, not a right, and certainly not easy!

Regarding the C Team I can categorically say the Surrey will refuse this at this time. Unfortunately for the additonal players that may want to play, Surrey have not to my knowledge ever had a C Team, and would only consider this if they were 100% confident about Croydons infrustructure to maintain that many teams.

It is unfortunate therefore that last year, administration errors in the A Team as well as not fulfilling a fixture at the end will result in that stability being questioned. And rightly so.
Edited by Shaggy on 26-01-2010 20:56
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miq
#18 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 21:38

Home From Home

TomT wrote:
Once this is achieved we can beging to work on pushing new talent through and progressing.

So speakth the wise old timer Tom Telford. laughing

TomT
#19 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 21:55
Quite The Regular

I'd just had an English lesson lol
ner ner

miq
#20 Print Post
Posted on 26-01-2010 22:18

Home From Home

Possibly didn't include a spelling lesson though fishing for a bite

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Marc Rowson
Marc Rowson
2008 Scotch Doubles Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing