jacko267 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Idea - cost saving
Bink286
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2011 16:33
Getting The Hang Of It

I know its far too late to be putting forward proposals for tomorrow's meeting, but I think it might be worth having a discussion about the current winter/summer league format, and looking at a further cost saving idea.

As we only have enough teams for 4 leagues at present, which is seemingly likely to reduce further for next summer, I'd suggest we consider amending the format, having just 2 leagues, instead of 4, with twice the number of teams, which run for a longer period.

As some teams have players that like to switch teams for summer under the current format, I'd suggest that this idea also incorporates a two 'free transfer' windows, where a new player registration sheet would be submitted by each registered team during the season, with no games for the week that the registrations take effect, for admin and communication purposes. This would permit players to switch teams during the longer season than at present.

This would reduce the cost of trophies per annum, and reduce the cost barriers to entry accordingly.

The current system for disqualifying teams for failures to turn up, would need revision, with perhaps a ten point penalty, and a transfer of the remaining points (or 0) to the first team in the queue wanting to join up. This then could permit new interested teams a chance to enter mid season (at the free transfer windows), in the event of teams dropping out, thereby reducing the impact of teams dropping out.

I'd suggest a 3 or 4 team promotion/relegation swap between the leagues once per year.

We could retain the summer + winter cups with a mid season registration for the next cup tournament.

Any thoughts (positive or negative) welcome!

Big Ben Ten
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2011 16:43

Home From Home

I think that would be tooooo big a change to happen anytime soon. And i think people who like changing teams from winter to summer wouldn't like it as they would rather have the seasons seprate to feel more involved with each team.

While we're on the topic of reform i would point out that a league i played in before had 2 doubles frames with 8 singles frames. Has this been done in croydon? It mixed it up a bit and made it more interesting.
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
oddball
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2011 02:51

Getting The Hang Of It

I think you could cut costs by sending the weekly results out via email a large sum of money can be saved on printing and mailing alone. if the league then past some of this saving on to the teams by reducing the fees to help generate more intrest in the league.

Statto
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2011 06:02

Home From Home

oddball....there is a rebate system in place already for those teams that provide an e-mail address on their registration form...I am presuming (and please forgive me if I am wrong) that you are not a secretary as you would have seen this on the form...

andye
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2011 23:14

Home From Home

most people i speak to like a change/break in the summer league, next year especially as there's euro 2012 and the olympics

i think the summer should be a bit more fun and different and including doubles could be a good novelty

i don't agree with combining divisions, the top teams won't want to play the far lesser teams and like wise the lower teams won't have any chance of glory!

there are too many trophies given out, div 1 teams don't want/need league cup group winners

everthing should be done online these days to save costs & entry fees

Pondlife
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2011 00:35

Must Get Out More

I certainly agree with the comments regarding the trophies. Over the last five years alone,we have spent about ?45,000 on plastic mementoes. There has to be a better and cheaper way to recognise achievement,surely ? confused

oddball
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2011 02:25

Getting The Hang Of It

Correct Statto i havent been a secretary for many years .
i was thinking more overall do we not give out loads of paperwork to the secretary's at the start of the new season
all of this has to be printed
and most still have from the season before
post them result cards for them to post back again all this can be downloaded resultcards can be scand and sent via email and so on reduce the number trophies we buy then when not picked up are given away.

JugglingSpence
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2011 14:27

Home From Home

I think the Saxtonator should make an iPhone app for scoring and then we would only need to print scorecards for the teams without an iPhone which probably wouldn't be too many...
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

Statto
#9 Print Post
Posted on 14-09-2011 00:54

Home From Home

Those that went to the AGM will now be aware of the cost saving measures in place....

League Cup Group Winners will now get medals rather than trophies

There is a further discount off the fees for those teams that have their result cards unstamped, and scan them in

This deals at least in part with arguments presented above....

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Dino and Steve
Dino and Steve
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing