harry
#41 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 19:28

Must Get Out More

Lils wrote:
harry wrote:
Why don't you just have one division?

H, you're losing the plot fella!

One division with 20 players + . . . Hmmmmmm.

I lost the plot years ago!!!

Seriously, I reckon at least 5 people will pull out of this within the first couple of months, for various reasons. So one division will be fine, and everyone can play with each other (Ooer!)
Harry Time!

Lils
#42 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 19:41

Must Get Out More

laughing

As I said earlier, I personally wouldn't enter with one division of 15 players. Even if the top 5 players of Division 1 were the ones pulling out. The attraction of a lower division has drawn new players in.

Why shouldn't the Singles League expand through demand and popularity? It's not like it's being run as a profitable business by the Organisers.

I played in the SPPL singles league when it was one division. Now it has 4 divisions and is probably the best run singles league around. Expansion and progress are a good thing all the while there are good people prepared to take the time and effort to run it well.

Golden
#43 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 19:48

FORUM ADDICT!

harry wrote:
Seriously, I reckon at least 5 people will pull out of this within the first couple of months, for various reasons.

Why is that then? Bit of a bold statement imo . .

We had two people drop out last time and that was when the rules changed every week, matches rearranged and postponed every week, matches claimed etc. A considerable amount of time, thought and effort has gone into the preparation of this league so that there is no repeat of last time . .

harry
#44 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 19:55

Must Get Out More

I hope they don't drop out (well, I do because I didn't read about this until it was too late)

Seriously, good luck to all and maybe someone can give me a nudge when you do the next one.
Harry Time!

Golden
#45 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 20:01

FORUM ADDICT!

The league is still in a learning process . . By the time the third one comes around we'll have ironed out any remaining issues and have several more tables to use so the league will be bigger, better and have room for you Harry my dear x
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 05-02-2008 20:01

Shaggy
#46 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 20:05
Must Get Out More

Another major advantage of having the two divisons is that with less players in each respective Division, the period of the league will be at least a month less. The assumption should be that if it lasts less time, the committment level is less, and drop outs should be minimal.

In addition players like Harry and others who missed out this time will not have to wait to long to enter the next one.

With regard to Divisonal status, it will over ther several leagues end up where everyone is where they deserve to be. Nonetheless on this occasion the organisers have decided that the best 10 players are in the top Division and whether people agree or not, those decsions have been taken without any bias whatsoever.

Its a good sign really when a player in Mark Miller would prefer to play in the higher league when his chances of winning money arew limited. It at least shows that his priority is to play better players and improve and its not about the dough.

This is what it should be about for the players in Div2, and I hope everyone has the same attitude.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andye
#47 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2008 20:22

Home From Home

harry wrote:
I hope they don't drop out (well, I do because I didn't read about this until it was too late)

Seriously, good luck to all and maybe someone can give me a nudge when you do the next one.

i always thought you were a bit of a hustler harry...!!!

buntycollocks
#48 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 09:14
Quite The Regular

spurs will 4ever be in the gooners shadow

now back 2 the pool

dont underestimate the thriller mark miller

i will stick by my opinion

miller is better then wates
but
thats not the reason i think he should be in div 1

reason he should be in div 1 is quite simple

its phils 1st time in the singles league
and
by any leagues standards......u have 2 work ur way up.....doesnt matter if u think phil is better then mark

like i said b4.....miller won the plate.....hes not a mug

let me ask the croydon committee members on this site a question?

pick the best seven players from the croydon league.....register them as a new team.....bet they dont start in div 1

coz they gotta work there way up

am i right ?
eek2
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

Golden
#49 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 09:31

FORUM ADDICT!

I bet you they don't start in the bottom . . The exact thing happened with the Patriots in the 2007 Summer season . . They registered as a new team but were put into Division One because, and I quote "The league doesn't need another Hot Shots scenario"

The same situation will occur regardless of whether it is Phil or Mark in Division Two. The rules also state that Divisional Status is at the discretion of the organisers. I am sure that if someone felt strongly about it they would withdraw themselves from the competition but seeing as that hasn't happened yet and the fact that we have ample replacements I can't see there being a problem . .

Lils
#50 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 09:42

Must Get Out More

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't start in the bottom Division, as it would be an insult and a worthless exercise for all other teams in that Division.

I maybe be wrong (and usually am) but I would have thought that they would be placed where Mr Halsey and the Committee saw appropriate and available. Did The Oakfield Patriots start in the bottom division?

Bottom line is that if people don't agree with where they are placed in the Singles League, then they haven't paid yet and can be replaced, I suppose. It's an advantage to all players involved in this years Singles League that they can see where they've been placed and i'm sure if anyone had a real valid grievance with where they'd been placed, they could appeal to the Committee and if that appeal were over-ruled, they could withdraw without having paid anything yet.

As I said before, I can't see that there is any difference between Phil Wates ad Mark Miller but if I had to put money on either one in a match, I'd back Phil as he doesn't seem to let things get to him on the table and has more experience.

Everyone will have their different opinions and reasons on this and although people will say i'm biased because Danny is on the Committee, I don't think they've got it far wrong.

People who know me and have been witness to Danny & I discussing anything we have different views on will know that if I think he's wrong, I'll make damn sure he knows about it and vice versa . . laughing

Lils
#51 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 09:47

Must Get Out More

And it seems while I was creating my drawn out speech, the fucker beat me to it. That's just rude.spank

Chuckie
#52 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 10:53

Quite The Regular

I?ve been placed in division two and I have no arguments against that. Quite frankly I don?t care if I play Phil or Mark. If Mark is division one quality then he?ll get promoted. If Phil belongs in Division two then relegation is inevitable.

I would have preferred to face more faces I?ve played the first time around to see my own development within the game. Now the only matches I have to compare previous performances with are against Miller and Saxton. So for that reason and reason alone I?d rather Mark stayed put.

It is kind of disrespectful assuming Mark or Phil would win Division two easily when blind folded and hands tied behind their backs. If Mark does triumph he?d have to earn it!

Basically, looking at the other players in our division, I fear no one. And (you heard it here first), I feel confident enough to gain promotion easily. So my obvious goal is to aim for first. I?m not putting my opponents down it?s just my turn to shine. I won?t be far from par!

Peace out,
Charles Burrows.
Taking my shots looking cool, my self-esteem?s growing tall.
Losing eyes this game is cruel. I do my thing playing pool.

http://www.myspace.com/whitgift
neo69
#53 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 15:27

Quite The Regular

how about sticking me in div 1 and move miller up making it 12 players and pay down to 5th with extra cash and everybodys happy.

Shaggy
#54 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 16:40
Must Get Out More

Neo, the league has been advrtised as having 10 players and has been filled by 10 players and thats how it will remain.

The league was such a debacle last time we are all starting from scratch and would prefer to start with a solid format and work from there. Any changes in the format ie more divisions and/or more players will be considered at the end of this season.

Dont worry you may still be in. Players that dont pay their ?40 by the end of the month will be removed from the league. Simple.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry
#55 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 17:00

Must Get Out More

Anyone know the pecking order for the standbys?

Saxton Chicken

Pecking....get it? laugh
Harry Time!

Golden
#56 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 20:03

FORUM ADDICT!

We've had several people say they would like to go in it but having heard that it's full have left it at that . . Martin Duncan is on the reserve list at present so names would be added thereafter . .

harry
#57 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 20:07

Must Get Out More

Put me down please.
Harry Time!

Fat-Dart
#58 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 20:38

FORUM ADDICT!

harry wrote:
Put me down please.

Have you been watching 'Animal Hospital' again, H?

harry
#59 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 20:40

Must Get Out More

I guess that's better than what Lils says when I ask to be put down!
Harry Time!

Golden
#60 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2008 21:04

FORUM ADDICT!

Chuckie wrote:
It is kind of disrespectful assuming Mark or Phil would win Division two easily when blind folded and hands tied behind their backs. If Mark does triumph he?d have to earn it!

I agree but that was said as a tongue-in-cheek comment . . However, the fact remains that be it Phil or Mark, they would start as strong favourite for the title . .

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Wayne & Gary
Wayne & Gary
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing