oddball253 weeks
Knocky258 weeks
Teach261 weeks
FoxC274 weeks
cazza279 weeks
andye279 weeks
jacko279 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
Singles semi final plate
Special K
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04-02-2014 04:00
Must Get Out More

Danny Kelliher 4-0 Steve rains
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

No1 Nugget
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04-02-2014 04:22
Must Get Out More

Well done mate,thumb great result against a good player, another final for croydons no1 trophyone
Division 2 winter league champs trophyone
division 3 and 2 summer league runner up,trophytwo
division 3 champs trophyone
division 4 summer champstrophyone
division 5 winnerstrophyone
division 5,4,3 divisional singles winner trophyone
division 5,4 secretary winnertrophyone

Shaggy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04-02-2014 22:12
Must Get Out More

Lets get one thing clear, win or lose, plates dont count.......
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special K
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2014 02:13
Must Get Out More

Hmmmmm your team don't seem to think that shaggy plate ko tournament you fielded the same squad all they until the final against us you made a change or 2 I ain't having a dig at you as u was not intrested but if the plate is worthless as you proclaim then maybe you should tell that to your team mates. See I disagree I like the plate of course we all want the main year in year out but in my trophy collection the plate nuff stands out!
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Reigatesfinest
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2014 02:41
Getting The Hang Of It

Well played Danny, not the greatest pool played but nice and quick. Good luck in the final. Sorry I didn't give you a tougher match.

Shaggy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05-02-2014 05:49
Must Get Out More

Ok Danny i suppose its what you want it to be but in my personal opinion first div teams and players shouldn't play if they lose the first round of the main. Its designed for the lower division players to get a feel for playing deeper in comps not for single winners and county players.

For your info though the team stated the same for us other than one enforced change in the final because Steve couldn't make the evening. We actually asked Tom to play but he couldnt so it was one if me met or wiggy.

We wouldn't gave entered however felt it would be disrespectful not to given our relative success over the years. I dont think we bummed each other up on the website over it

As for the trophies we shall be donating the cost of any trophy to the leagues charity.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blockapocket
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 01:22
Home From Home

I have won the plate singles in the past and was pleased to win it.
But shaggy is right in saying the plate comps were introduced for lower division to progress in these comps, first division players didn't play in the round that entered them into the plate. But
That was changed as it was the feeling they were being given a advantage in the main draw , it seems damned if you do, damned if you don't. My point is valuing the plate is a personal choice,
But many do and are happy to play in it.

jacko
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 07:25
Must Get Out More

Wen I won the plate singles I BT a former singles wina in the final so basically the lower divisional players never really ada realistic chance that year...the plate woz originally proposed by Martin Pantony I believe asa singles comp for non div 1 players n in hindsight I believe that's Wat it should b...even tho the rankings system seems truer now maybe we should ava trade off where div 1 players get a 50 point start in the rankings so only div1 players can win it but other divisions can still compete against 1 another n in return div1 players r not allowed to enter the plate...wen I won it I did not try until I reached the semi final coz I knew it woz slightly frowned upon by quite a few ov the top players...Kellogs as that hunger to prove himself still so for him n others it may b a big thing wen actually all ur proving is that ur the best ov the 1st round losers...let the lower divisional players enjoy the buzz ov playing in semi finals n finals n let us div1 players step up n compete in the main 1 ...butter wouldn't melt ...
Edited by jacko on 06-02-2014 07:31

Special K
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 14:45
Must Get Out More

Here he is ma olde mate! I actually agree with what u say tbh and agree maybe croydon cud change things......but on the other hand I am playing a div 1 player in the final so happy days 8 ball

Blockapocket
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 16:55
Home From Home

But really both of you shouldn't be there.
juggling

the flash
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 18:26
Quite The Regular

Before I add my 5p worth, I think the plate is a waste of a competition.

The plate and the argument that div 1 players should be banned from it is a totally floored concept.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the current inter league teams have non division 1 players in it and isn't that in theory a better standard of competition, Is that not unfair to other lower div players ? (so should they also be banned from it) and while were at it aren't there lower div players in the top 20 of the ranking, so should they also be banned, are you beginning to see how floored the concept is ????

No matter how you may choose to look at it the plate is a comp that makes you king of the LOSERS !!!!.
because i can

Pondlife
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2014 19:57

Must Get Out More

As I was originally involved with Lennie Gillam in the proposal of implementing Plate competitions , this is what was intended. We felt that there should be alternative single and doubles competitions which would only be open to lower league players ,with division one players specifically excluded. I seem to recall a certain ginger numpty(yes we had one back then as well)became extremely aggrieved that the top division players should be excluded from anything. He moaned that we all paid the same fees to operate. What slipped his mind was the fact that the trophies for division one were two or three times the size of the lower divisions egg-cups.(any queries on this point must be referred to Bunter). As a result of his disquiet, division one players were allowed to participate. This of course made the whole thing a complete waste of time , as it didn't come anywhere near achieving what it was supposed to do.

andye
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2014 01:01

Home From Home

We won the plate?

Well thanks for letting me know!

Special K
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2014 03:19
Must Get Out More

Lol

U was getting on the phone commentary from nuttman frame by frame my whole team heard him telling you

andye
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2014 04:17

Home From Home

If you say so...

Brooker
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2014 23:52
Home From Home

Ok going to express my opinion on this as i am bored at work.

In golf you have a handicapp system, this basically means anyone on any given day has an equal chance of winning regardless of their ability. This keeps everyone involved & interested & the trophies throughout a society season generally get shared out, so the same people keep coming back year after year.

In this pool league the top players have a decent chance of winning the following

Their Division
the League cup
The KO Cup
Divisional Individulas
Number one ranked player
Singles winner
Doubles winner
Plate singles
Plate Doubles

An average player realistically can win the following
Thier Division (If a 1st div team haven't reformed & started in the lower divisions, which they normally have)

Divisional individuals (If a 1st div team haven't reformed & started in the lower divisions, which they normally have)

Its no wonder the League is dwindling when we expect the majority of the teams to pay for the minority of the players to win everything.

The Plate is in my opinion for the lower division players & any lower division player who knows they are really 1st division should just give their game up. Surely the team that knocked the Eagles out of the KO cup main deserve more crdit than the Eagles for winning the plate competion that they dumped them into, but that team will still have to watch the Eagles pick up a plate trophy (I know thay have donated the trophy money to charity) while they could stand empty handed, its stupid.

Presentation nights are boring seeing the same players/teams picking up all the trophies, all the time.

Even the football league has competions just for lower division teams, it keeps people interested.

The plate in theory was a good idea, hijacked by people who seem to want to win a pot regardless of the real esteem it carries, ok you may beat a couple of decent 1st division players on the way to winning it, but in reality you have still done worse than someone who got to the 2nd round of the main competition.

I guess those are the rules & people just play to them, but i think the whole plate thing needs revising, it clearly hasn't achieved what it was meant to.

I would rather be playing golf

Pondlife
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08-02-2014 01:22

Must Get Out More

Spot on, as usual Christopher. Now get on with your work !!

andye
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08-02-2014 23:21

Home From Home

i agree, div 1 players/team should not be in the plate

there used to be a divisional singles but that's gone

there could even be a divisional team ko to give more players chance of glory

handicapping is hard in pool, but can still be done. it's done in the singles league!

nuttmeg
#19 Print Post
Posted on 11-02-2014 05:36
Home From Home

Chris Brooker wrote
An average player realistically can win the following

Thier Division (If a 1st div team haven't reformed & started in the lower divisions, which they normally have)

Divisional individuals (If a 1st div team haven't reformed & started in the lower divisions, which they normally have)
applauseapplauseapplauseapplause

I didn't want us to play in the plate, but was told because we had a bye in the last 16 it was disrespectful to the teams who lost in the last 16 if we didn't turn up to the next round.
Edited by nuttmeg on 11-02-2014 05:38

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Steve Petty
Steve Petty
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing