oddball243 weeks
Knocky248 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
Drillers - The End of an Era
Spud
#41 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 21:49

Home From Home

There is always the option of trying an extended format on the first division from next winter, get feedback, and then take it from there?
With cups staying as they are.

Within the first division, all frames count towards the divisional singles, so if you played twice and won twice, then 2 wins.

For rankings purposes, which includes all divisions, only the first frame counts.

Golden
#42 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 21:49

FORUM ADDICT!

Why should only the first frame count for ranking purposes?

Shaggy
#43 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 21:57
Must Get Out More

Because some teams will play 10 players, and others play 5 for example. If every frame counts then some people would have played more than others. Nonetheless thats only because Croydon do their rankings on frames won rather than frame difference.

I honestly dont think this factor of individual or overall rankings is an obstacle that cannot be overcome.
Edited by Shaggy on 08-11-2007 22:08
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spud
#44 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 22:16

Home From Home

Agree. . .
The finer points can be sorted later on, and they won't be difficult.

The main thing is to address what, if anything can be done to
a) Keep the current members of the league happy enough that they want to continue,
and
Cool If we can attract new players into our league.

oddball
#45 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 05:20

Getting The Hang Of It

madI seem to remember before the rules were changed to speed thing up? there was lots of moaning from some people about not getting back to their pub/club till after 10.30 and how the new rules would be much better. now it seem they would like to play more frames start at 8pm till 11.00pm be able to play subs in cup matches
if some players don't play to good what next. The 7 frame format has been played in this league from day one a lot of rules have changed over the 29 years I've been playing in this league but it's always been
you pick 7 players to play 7 single frames this league format has stood the test of time it's not how fast you play. it's how well you play .if people want to play lots of frames they should enter opens were they can play the best of 7or 9 frames per round that's what world rules were designed for.

Statto
#46 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 07:15

Home From Home

Having read the thread, I can see the arguments on both sides. We've always played 7, and no-one argues, so why change it? However, there is the fact that the league is shrinking rapidly, and a lot of teams (mine included) don't have enough depth to cope with 2-3 absentees. In terms of match length, all our matches finish considerably after 10pm, and I don't think adding another 3 frames to the match length could be easily incorporated.

Here's another take - a lot of changes have been brought in as a trial for the summer season, and then been accepted. Why not have a 10 frame format (5players twice, as previously suggested) as a trial next summer season, and review it from there? The AGM is held in September, when the summer season is in it's closing stages, and that can be used to determine whether the trial becomes a permanent fixture for the winter.

A quick word to the wise - if we do it in the summer it has to be ratified in the half year GM in February(?), so get the proposals in before you forget, otherwise nothing will change....

Shaggy
#47 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 16:43
Must Get Out More

oddball wrote:
madI seem to remember before the rules were changed to speed thing up? there was lots of moaning from some people about not getting back to their pub/club till after 10.30 and how the new rules would be much better. now it seem they would like to play more frames start at 8pm till 11.00pm be able to play subs in cup matches
if some players don't play to good what next. The 7 frame format has been played in this league from day one a lot of rules have changed over the 29 years I've been playing in this league but it's always been
you pick 7 players to play 7 single frames this league format has stood the test of time it's not how fast you play. it's how well you play .if people want to play lots of frames they should enter opens were they can play the best of 7or 9 frames per round that's what world rules were designed for.

Its nothing to do with the rules or time, its because some teams havent got enough players and the team numbers are dwindling. BY making it 10 frames would mean the teams for struggling could have 5 players playing twice and the teams with 10 can carry on like they did before.

Fat-Dart
#48 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 18:09

FORUM ADDICT!

Exactly. This isn't another reason to dredge up the old argument about World Rules killing off teams. A mate of mine plays in a darts league and many teams in their league are suffering the same fate as some of our league's pool teams. The fact is, pubs are becoming increasingly geared towards drink and food, and less interested in 'pub sports', especially the big chains. The fact is, if "The Local Pub" shuts down and gets taken over by a big chain, the first thing they do is take out the pool table and the dart board to put more seats in. The smoking ban has probably had an impact on this too, as many casual pool and darts players psychologically 'need' a ciggy while they're actually playing. Obviously they can't now.

Personally, I think the idea of more frames per match night will only help to attract new players. Doesn't sound much of a carrot to dangle when you see a potential new player and explain that if they join your league they'll have to travel however many miles it is from their house to your pub/club plus every other week generally much further to an away game to play just one game of pool. The prospect of getting more games in surely would sound better to them (and us).

Shaggy
#49 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 19:38
Must Get Out More

On the dwindling numbers front, the darts league I play in have two league of 10, when they used to have three leagues of 12. One snooker league has 12 teams when it had 16, another snooker league has 7 teams when it used to have 30+.

The number of teams is dwindling throughout the country irrespective of rulesets. Smoking ban, pub closures, cost and time are all as much of a factor as anything else.

Spud
#50 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 19:49

Home From Home

This thread begun because we have the very real threat of two long term Croydon Teams folding becasue of dwindling numbers.

What we are discussing, is what, if anything can be done to save the teams concerned.

Lowering the minimum player required level certainly enables both these sides to continue, and would relieve the burden on many others.

It's also worth pointing out that the Croydon Winter league used to span 6 divisions with ease, and I'm sure there was a 7th once....
There is now only 5.
It's happening already, no point in ignoring the facts.

nuttmeg
#51 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 21:07
Home From Home

back to original thread have the Drillers officially disbanded

Burn
#52 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 22:38

Quite The Regular

Nothing to do with rules that teams are leaving.

Pubs closing left, right and centre, a real lack of young players coming through, the majority of the players in the league aged 30 plus, many with different priorities and interests.

For those reasons Pool leagues in general will shrink anyway, and end up with only the hard core of players remaining, probably playing out of bigger multi-team venues like Rileys, as opposed to local pubs.

You have to adapt the league, or more and more teams will fold.

Frankly, you have nothing to lose by trying a new format, because the shit is already hitting the fan.
Edited by Burn on 09-11-2007 22:39

http://www.surreypool.com
Knocky
#53 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 23:05
Must Get Out More

we could do with a few oy the drillers coming to us if they want as terry is having a little break at hte moment and graf has a few work commitments so the door is open at the unpredictableswinkgrin
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

harry
#54 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 23:16

Must Get Out More

harry wrote:
Are a couple of their players looking for a new team?

No i'm not being a vulture, but when opportunity knocks........

Im sure I asked the same thing on page 1
Harry Time!

Viper
#55 Print Post
Posted on 09-11-2007 23:29
Must Get Out More

If The Drillers are folding then can anybody from the team contact me to confirm as such ...... its all very well advertising the fact on here but don't you think that an official confirmation to myself is not to much to ask.

Golden
#56 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 00:51

FORUM ADDICT!

According to John Hoy yesterday it's definately happening Sad

hannahfish
#57 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 00:52

Quite The Regular

And to let me know would be nice as i have wasted money paying there league fee's.

Golden
#58 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 00:59

FORUM ADDICT!

I'm going to get a right bollocking if this turns out to be just a massive rumour . . I blame John Hoy and Steve Rains laughing
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 10-11-2007 01:00

Lils
#59 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 01:02

Must Get Out More

hannahfish wrote:
And to let me know would be nice as i have wasted money paying there league fee's.

Their.

harry
#60 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 01:14

Must Get Out More

Once they have informed Mark Halsey, then Hannah, then I think their next port of call should be me handshake
Harry Time!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Eden Cues
Eden Cues
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing