oddball253 weeks
Knocky258 weeks
Teach261 weeks
FoxC274 weeks
cazza279 weeks
andye279 weeks
jacko279 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
Singles - Round Two
Shaggy
#21 Print Post
Posted on 29-10-2007 18:58
Must Get Out More

Being completely arrogant for once only a first Dvision player, or someone that has been a first Division player (ie Andy Shaw for example) will win the singles anyway. As Jamie Mc says beat as many first Division players as you can, take a few scalps and be happy.

Frankly if someones aim is to win the plate then that clearly demonstrates ttheir chance of winning the singles. Zero nan cubed!
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gentlebreeze
#22 Print Post
Posted on 29-10-2007 23:20

Quite The Regular

My point is if all the 1st div playes win,and on paper they should.
Thats no one left in the Croydon District Pool League Singles
in Div 2-3-4-5 for the real 2ed round.
AND THAT IS VERY SAD sigh
Its better to burn out than fade away

Shaggy
#23 Print Post
Posted on 29-10-2007 23:55
Must Get Out More

But first Division players only account for 20% of the league. If everyone entered the competition and all Div one players are guaranteed playing teams from lower leagues (a further 20%), the remaining entrants 60% from the lower divisions would be playing each other.

I think getting a bye to the first round proper is more than sufficent, and this is even only valid, because there is another comp for non first division players, my personal opinion is it should be an open draw throughout. But hey, I wasnt at the AGM so have no idea what was actually agreed.

Fat-Dart
#24 Print Post
Posted on 29-10-2007 23:55

FORUM ADDICT!

Over a much longer distance, I'd agree, this method could potentially wipe most of the lower division players but you have to consider it's only best of 3 at this stage.

Any player in with a shout can beat a division 1 player twice. Personally, I couldn't care less who I play in this round, I'll be just as up for it now I'm playing a Div1 player as I would if it was a Div5, probably even more so. If anyone goes into this round expecting to lose just because they're playing a Div1 player, then they probably will, as they've lost in their own head already.

Shaggy
#25 Print Post
Posted on 29-10-2007 23:57
Must Get Out More

And one thing to remember is that are an awful lot of average players in Div 1....

Golden
#26 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 00:36

FORUM ADDICT!

gentlebreeze wrote:
My point is if all the 1st div playes win,and on paper they should.
Thats no one left in the Croydon District Pool League Singles
in Div 2-3-4-5 for the real 2ed round.
AND THAT IS VERY SAD sigh

Why is that very sad?

There is too much emphasis on divisional status as it is . . You have players like Brooker and Clive Taylor in Division Two because they are loyal to the Legion who will rape the extreme majority of the Div Two and below anyway yet they weren't excluded on that basis were they?

mickeyp
#27 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 01:01

Quite The Regular

Saying that im a division 2 player and im playing against Tony Jackson.. Div 1 in round 2

Actually im rubbish, im gonna stay out of this - lol
hhmmmmm Nice Baps.......

gentlebreeze
#28 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 02:04

Quite The Regular

Hi me again

I don't mind who plays who, I like playing first div players myself. My gripe is the draw. It leans favourable to first div players.

It's not seeding, it's segragating.

Statto
#29 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 02:41

Home From Home

So when does the plate competition come into effect anyway?

If it's only for first round losers, and does not include first division players, why is it not being played alongside the second round?confused

waynie1973
#30 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 02:45

Quite The Regular

Statto wrote:
So when does the plate competition come into effect anyway?

If it's only for first round losers, and does not include first division players, why is it not being played alongside the second round?confused

Because second round losers also get put into the plate! eek2
"Knowledge Dave"

Lils
#31 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 05:50

Must Get Out More

gentlebreeze wrote:

I don't mind who plays who, I like playing first div players myself. My gripe is the draw. It leans favourable to first div players.

OH MY GOD. I've read this over and over and I can't help but to have a bite on this.

In my opinion, the idea of having a plate competition of which a certain Divisions players are excluded from was laughable from the start. Every Division pays the same amount of money to play in the League, yet Division One players have one less competition they can enter.

Yet NOW it's being moaned about that the draw 'leans favourable to Division One players?!!!!'

THE WHOLE PLATE LEANS FAVOURABLE TO EVERYONE BUT DIVISION ONE - so what's your point, exactly?

There are, in my opinion, maybe 10 people MAXIMUM in Division One who have the ability and mentality to win the Singles competition. And thanks to the Lower Divisions Secretaries voting this plate competition in, it is excluding the 90% of Division One players who aren't going to win the main singles comp. That's nice.

If a proposal for a Division One ONLY Singles competition was out forward in February, the lower divisions would laugh it out. A bit like when it was proposed that World Rules should only be introduced into Division One to start with; the lower divisions went mad because they thought they were missing out and now do nothing but piss and whinge about them.

Truly unbelievable.

Lils of Division Four.
Edited by Lils on 30-10-2007 05:51

Golden
#32 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 15:24

FORUM ADDICT!

First sensible post you've made in well over two years . .

The bottom line is that you're fcuked if you do and you're fcuked if you don't . . No matter what you do there is always going to be someone pissing and whinging about it . . You just can't help some people . .

. . cue the usual suspect secretaries to put in their proposals for some other stupid notion when they don't even play the game themselves no

cazza
#33 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 16:29
Getting The Hang Of It

And with posts like that we wonder why we get a div1 versus the rest attitude.

I do agree with the point if people dont like the singles format I'm pretty sure they are not forced to play. We all knew the format before we started playing.

And the idea of a plate comp is also a good one it has worked very well in many other games. It just keeps the interest going for players who would probably otherwise not get a chance.

I think people are getting to het up about nothing it is what it is. If it doesn't work then maybe bring it up at the next AGM and something can be done to change things. Remember change is not always a bad thing. World rules etc.. But lets just give it a go this season and you never know it might actually be enjoyed and become a success.
Edited by cazza on 30-10-2007 16:31

ThePower
#34 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 17:12

Must Get Out More

Shaggy wrote:
And one thing to remember is that are an awful lot of average players in Div 1....

And on most Tuesday nights you will find them down at Elmer Lodge in Beckenham.

Lils
#35 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 17:56

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
First sensible post you've made in well over two years . .

Your Mum.

Golden
#36 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 20:19

FORUM ADDICT!

cazza wrote:
And with posts like that we wonder why we get a div1 versus the rest attitude.

I do agree with the point if people dont like the singles format I'm pretty sure they are not forced to play. We all knew the format before we started playing.

And the idea of a plate comp is also a good one it has worked very well in many other games. It just keeps the interest going for players who would probably otherwise not get a chance.

I think people are getting to het up about nothing it is what it is. If it doesn't work then maybe bring it up at the next AGM and something can be done to change things. Remember change is not always a bad thing. World rules etc.. But lets just give it a go this season and you never know it might actually be enjoyed and become a success.

The 'us and them' attitude had only been highlighted by the fact that not only were Division One excluded from the first round of all competitions but were then not allowed to have their own singles competition when everyone else got a seperate competition . . Before then everyone got on like one big happy family . .

Think of it like The Waltons all of a sudden telling John-Boy that he's a cnut and telling him that he's not welcome in the house before 12pm . . So John-Boy thinks to himself "OK I'll get my own house if they're going to be like that" only for them to say "No sorry John-Boy we're not allowing you to do that either . . Do you think you're special or something?"

He'd come back with a pitchfork and stab the cnuts that's what he'd do . . In their fcuking eyes too . .

Don't ask me where the Waltons analogy came from but you see my point . .
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 30-10-2007 20:43

hannahfish
#37 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 20:29

Quite The Regular

where did the waltons analogy come from?????? you are different..laughing

Fat-Dart
#38 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 21:03

FORUM ADDICT!

I presume if there's that much upset on Walton's Mountain, they won't be submitting a team again next season. That's a stroke of luck anyway, Virginia USA is slightly further away from Croydon than Biggin Hill or Lewisham.. laughing

John-Boy in a pitchfork eye stabbing scandal... who'd have thought it? I always assumed it'd be Jim-Bob, he was always the stroppy trouble maker.
hitting with a chair
Edited by Fat-Dart on 30-10-2007 21:04

Hold-up
#39 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 23:00
Just Popping In

Personally i feel that this years competition is weaker than last year due to no Drillers players present in the drawlaughing

gentlebreeze
#40 Print Post
Posted on 30-10-2007 23:15

Quite The Regular

Hi i must apologize to all but i was miss informed and did't know there had been a vote for a plate comp,and that 1st div players could not play.
As for me im up for only one open singles comp for all and you must stay in it to win it.

WITH LOVE GENTLEBREEZE band playingband playingstrip

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Shane St. Romaine
Shane St. Romaine
2008 Scotch Doubles Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing