Knocky245 weeks
Teach249 weeks
FoxC262 weeks
cazza267 weeks
andye267 weeks
jacko267 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Suzi Cues being sold off - end of an era???
Nature Boy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 29-06-2011 05:46

Home From Home

I have heard today that Rileys are selling Suzi Cues, due to lack of revenue to the club etc..
If this is true, this is a massive blow to the pool community, as the home of pool for Croydon maybe chalking up for the last time.

This will affect all bunch of events, such as Interleague, Region 7's, Wednesday and Thursday singles league as well as the Tuesday league also.

If it is true that Suzi Cues are being sold off, it will be an end of era for a venue which has created I am sure allot of historic pool moments in the Croydon Pool League.

But moving on, where do we go from here, are some of these long term events and teams are to be moved to Rileys in Croydon or will they come to end etc...

Be nice to hear people's comments on this...

Big Ben Ten
#2 Print Post
Posted on 29-06-2011 06:33

Home From Home

Let's all buy it together! thumb

Ps. I'm broke
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
Mr Cee
#3 Print Post
Posted on 30-06-2011 00:24
Getting The Hang Of It

Nature Boy wrote:
I have heard today that Rileys are selling Suzi Cues, due to lack of revenue to the club etc..
If this is true, this is a massive blow to the pool community, as the home of pool for Croydon maybe chalking up for the last time.

This will affect all bunch of events, such as Interleague, Region 7's, Wednesday and Thursday singles league as well as the Tuesday league also.

If it is true that Suzi Cues are being sold off, it will be an end of era for a venue which has created I am sure allot of historic pool moments in the Croydon Pool League.

But moving on, where do we go from here, are some of these long term events and teams are to be moved to Rileys in Croydon or will they come to end etc...

Be nice to hear people's comments on this...

I'm sure the county, interleague, region 7's and any other event riley's hold at there venue's will be sorted out with a suitable venue before purley way county was played from riley's sutton and maybe interleague and the region 7's this is merely an assumption but as they all correspond with eachother i think it is not far from the truth. However i heard riley's struck up a deal with croydonpool.com to house most of the events from 2nd round and onwards in all competitions if this is the case how have they made that deal knowing there venue or venues will be eventually sold off? i think the venues i.e pubs that started off the league and continue to do so are losing out or not being shown enough appreciation from the league! i'm not saying i don't like the venue or venues of riley's cos they can run face paced comps (depending on the players) and house enough room with the exception of frith road.

Shaggy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 30-06-2011 17:45
Must Get Out More

A direct result of pool players being tight and wanting everything for free? Discuss?
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pondlife
#5 Print Post
Posted on 30-06-2011 22:02

Must Get Out More

It's not so long ago that Hannah told me that Suzys had made ?14,000 clear profit in one quarter. Multiply that by 4 and it would have made in excess of ?50,000 that year. And yet Rileys want to sell it as an empty shell which cannot be retained as a snooker/pool venue . This really doesn't make sense . It can only be that they started giving away too much for nothing ! As the tables are very cheap/free, patrons need to spend something or the club is being run at a loss . It is of course universally recognised that pool and alcohol don't really mix . You see so many teams settle down happily around a glass of orange with seven or eight straws . They don't have this problem in Frith Road as the vast majority of their clientelle are about 15 years old !! I have heard that Rileys have already received an offer from SureStart should they decide to sell that one instead !! fishing for a bite

JugglingSpence
#6 Print Post
Posted on 30-06-2011 23:26

Home From Home

Shaggy wrote:
A direct result of pool players being tight and wanting everything for free? Discuss?

You might be right there Shaggy, I know I used to go there when I got free table time. Maybe this is one of those examples where giving things away can increase profits.
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

oddball
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01-07-2011 01:56

Getting The Hang Of It

If riley's do close then theres going to be a mad rush to find
some were to play from in the winter for a lot teams.
And with so many pubs having closed down to it's going to be hard finding some were with a table to play on

Dizzy
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01-07-2011 07:00
Getting The Hang Of It

Maybe this will help some of the local pubs in the area

Luke
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01-07-2011 08:07

Home From Home

I don't think it's a case of pool players wanting things for free. Admitidly yes we do like discounts here and there on the tables etc but that era ended a long time ago when Hannah was running the place. It's a very select few that actually do get free tables down there now, which IMO won't affect things a great deal.

What I can't understand is why they say it's making a loss. It's the home of Surrey, Croydon A and B, the home of at least 5 CDPL teams, SPPL on Wednesdays, Crodon Singles League on Thursdays. It also has darts teams/comps on a few nights of the week. Someone tell me how this club is making a loss?! In the last few years it's been done up to accomodate English pool/darts etc so it just doesn't make sense to me. You won't get a better English pool setup in the south for miles and I for one will be gutted if Suzis shuts down.
So who's up forbuying the place!?Grin
Edited by Luke on 01-07-2011 08:11
Patch! whip

Pondlife
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01-07-2011 17:12

Must Get Out More

I too would be very sad to see Suzys close . There is absolutely no chance that our team would even consider re-locating to Croydon . We do have two local pubs that,as far as I know,would welcome us back with open arms. We will have to play it by ear and see what develops !! I cannot foresee what it might become(instead of a snooker hall), to make it financially viable to a prospective buyer. The only criticism of Suzys is the lack of public transport accessibility. Other than that,the venue is first class !!

Big Ben Ten
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01-07-2011 17:36

Home From Home

I think the public transport stops all the riff raff coming in anyway. And the only reason I think some of us are perceived to be tight is because we get used to getting free tables for whatever reason. If you know other peoPle are getting free tables or you had a free table the other day then you don't wanna pay 8 quid an hour on another occasion.
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
Blockapocket
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02-07-2011 22:56
Home From Home

free tables are loss leaders for the club, bodys in the club = barsale and profit...The sale of the club is about rileys slimming down

so why not get rid of frith road, and invest in purley way ???eek2

Metin250
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03-07-2011 17:47
Home From Home

Blockapocket wrote:
free tables are loss leaders for the club, bodys in the club = barsale and profit...The sale of the club is about rileys slimming down

so why not get rid of frith road, and invest in purley way ???eek2

I'm guessing coz frith road makes sooooo much more money than purley, purley is only busy during pool events!!!! Fri and sat nite frith is always busy!!

andye
#14 Print Post
Posted on 03-07-2011 19:25

Home From Home

more traffic at frith, thoughout the day...

suzy's in the day has 1 or 2 people... would make more sense just to open in the evenings and at w'ends!

Statto
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2011 02:26

Home From Home

yes, Purley way is on the market, but there is no requirement to sell it if the right offer doesn't materialise...also, IF it is sold it will be as a going concern....

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Sean Kelly
Sean Kelly
Croydon Interleague (Current)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing