oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
propositions for division 1 next winter
No1 Nugget
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 19:03
Must Get Out More

hi guysthumb I know im a painhugs, so will keep it short,but I was wondering if anyone in this division next winter wanted to extend it to 15 games, please let me know your thoughts as we got till next month by the 16th august,to put it through to the league secretary, and want to know if we just had it for the top 2 divisions or just the 1st, as I know a few of you didn't want the change, but its upto you guys, but I want more frames next winter as 11 is not enough, let us know your thoughts as we need a seconder, cheers guys handshake
Edited by No1 Nugget on 04-07-2013 19:05
Division 2 winter league champs trophyone
division 3 and 2 summer league runner up,trophytwo
division 3 champs trophyone
division 4 summer champstrophyone
division 5 winnerstrophyone
division 5,4,3 divisional singles winner trophyone
division 5,4 secretary winnertrophyone

mayweatherbrindle
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 19:24
Home From Home

I must say i agree with you for ONCE neil lol.i would like to see it go 15 frames..11 is a bit low.or even maybe 13
Im croydons no 1....even when i lose i win-NEIL HALL
trophyone

Greckos
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 19:50
Just Popping In

We play 15 frames in Redhill & have done for a few years now. It works well, most (if not all) teams prefer it & most matches are finshed by 11.30pm, especially in the Prem.

Big Ben Ten
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 20:12

Home From Home

I think a frame of scotch should be implemented in each set...
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
SCORCHIO12
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 20:31

Must Get Out More

I like the idea of 15 frames on a Tuesday but the enforcement of the shot clock must be used. Some teams don't use the clock even though they should and can bore you to death watching a game.

Knocky
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 20:37
Must Get Out More

with teams with big squads it would be a benefit as most teams with big squads only get 1 frame each and most players would like at least 2 frames.
could possibly have 3 sets of 5 frames with a new start time of 8pm
this would also get rid of that I frame decider if its 5 all.Grin
Edited by Knocky on 04-07-2013 20:39
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Welshy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 20:39
Home From Home

Welcomd from NSW, Australia

Right the 15 game thing..I play the same in SLKPA, South London and there are a few differences. The oppo turning up on time being the major. Starting at 8.40 as most games do in our division is surely a no-no. Yes I know there are teams who turn up late but I'm an advocate of more pool but there should be:

1. New start time of 8pm
2. 9 singles, 4 scotch doubles

That's it to be honest. If people don't agree with my take I couldn't give to hoots winking
Fortune Favours the Brave...tumbleweed

sk8shaun
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 21:05
Getting The Hang Of It

i think this is a awful idea! by adding more frames you are taking away the chance of a shock win for the weaker teams n for suggesting a different format for higher divisions is a insult to the the lower divisions! lower division teams should be treated the same as higher division team end off! before i comment on the scotch idea Ben i am interested? how would this work n would they get a ranking points? do select your pairing after da single games? sorry about my grammar never been that good at english!

Big Ben Ten
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 21:14

Home From Home

sk8shaun wrote:
i think this is a awful idea! by adding more frames you are taking away the chance of a shock win for the weaker teams n for suggesting a different format for higher divisions is a insult to the the lower divisions! lower division teams should be treated the same as higher division team end off! before i comment on the scotch idea Ben i am interested? how would this work n would they get a ranking points? do select your pairing after da single games? sorry about my grammar never been that good at english!

obviously the rankings would have to accommodate a new format but its doable. Perhaps one player from the pairing would have to be the one who cant play twice in a set and gets the ranking points as if it were a singles game and his partner can be anyone, even another singles player from the same set. There are many ways round it, they used scotch in a league I played in when I was in notts and it gave a new aspect and bought the team together more.
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
jacko
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 21:33
Must Get Out More

15frames is the way forward. .8pm start a must put 3 names down n start playing bang on 8...clock isa must,scotch doubles isa dreadful idea doubles games r the slowest games in the league...div1 only simply as lower division players tend to mis a lot more finishes so there frames tend to take longer,they can try it if they wish but dont complain if the nite turns into a late 1...croydon league always as ad trouble keeping up with the times so lets hope...finally I believe shocks could stil happen as over longer distances better players tend to get a bit complacentbutter wouldn't melt ...

sk8shaun
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 21:38
Getting The Hang Of It

ok this doesn't sound bad it could be worth a try? so yea if i could i would vote for that maybe not adding ranking just team points tho? !

Big Ben Ten
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 21:41

Home From Home

not too sure how scotch can be a dreadful idea on the basis that it will make the match take longer. I guess that makes adding 4 more frames a dreadful idea too then?
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
sk8shaun
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 22:06
Getting The Hang Of It

jacko i rarely disagree with what you write on here but you still wrote could still happen meaning less likely! you say you think about the best for the league. this time i don't you are my friend! say if we had to play a best of 3 i would like to think could take 1frame n lucky nick a second what wouldn't happen so if we was to play best of 7 what chance do i have by me saying this why make the stronger teams, players stronger n make the the weak weaker new teams will come get bored of being beaten by huge scores while stronger teams destroy division look at biggin they are 20 something points clear with more frames they would be 30 points clear! not many low division player write on here so everyone doesn't think about them! you all like to play pool n have a drink but we want to have a drink n play pool! even tho this own decision doesn't mean we shouldn't have a say

sk8shaun
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 22:18
Getting The Hang Of It

i do think Ben has a good idea? wat if a team only has 5 players tho i think 2 not 4 frames would be better

the-shark
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 23:26

Home From Home

15 frames would definatly favour the stronger teams no question about that and as sk8shaun said where is the fun in that! I think if you do 15 frames it has to be across all the divisions not just 1st or 2nd. Personally I would love to see the KO cup come down to best of 7 as this would give most teams a shot at an upset! I know this means players will turn up and maybe not play but it would certainly spice things up! doubles is interesting but can't see many teams wanting it. Biggest issue with 15 is the time scale and in lower divisions this will be more of an issue! But this discussion comes up every year so see what happens.
www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Animals/Sharks/Pool_shark_2.gif

we may need a bigger boat..!

mayweatherbrindle
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 23:47
Home From Home

Sk8shaun ur completely wrong.and jacko is in fact took the words right out of my mouth.i agree fully.and scotch doubles wld slow the match time as a doubles game takes a hell of alot longer than most.and yh i think it should only be for div one n two as there matches will take longer.but its up to those divisions and not me and dnt effect me.but i cld see some teams still playing at 2 o clock lol
Im croydons no 1....even when i lose i win-NEIL HALL
trophyone

Metin250
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04-07-2013 23:54
Home From Home

Il have my pennies worth then:
15 frames is the way forward having played it in reigate.
If It gives an opportunity to play more pool then how can that be bad?
Starting at 8pm should never be a problem as most teams r there early anyway( with exception of jacko)
15 frames or 11 frames - the best team will always win the league so that makes no difference.
Scotch doubles - no no no no no , i 100% agree with jacko it is not needed, it will slow the match down to a halt and thats the last thing u need in a 15 frame night.
15 frames in reigate r usually done by 10pm ,lower teams may take longer but not 2 hrs longer but thats what the clocks for so just time the game and its all gravy!
What i will add is please can someone vote in that we have a coin toss for the first game and alternate the rest, this flipping for every frame is stupid!
It means some teams can get through a whole match without a break if their unlucky!

YNWA

Brooker
#18 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 00:42
Home From Home

Ok, lets start a heated debate

I don't want 15 frames personally.
I struggle to get to matches by 8.15 as it is, would really struggle to get there by 8.

Don't really want to be getting home any later than i already do on a Tuesday night at the moment.

Don't want to start 3-0 down when we only turn up with 4 players, starting 2-0 down is bad enough (& yes i know this is my teams fault & we should sign more players)

Although the best team will win the league regardless of the amount of frames, at the moment you still have the possibility of an upset on the night over 11 frames, this would be much more unlikely over 15 frames.

Mentally you can just about accept an 8-3 or 9-2 defaet on a bad night, getting beaten 13-2 or 14-1 is just going to demorolise teams & we will end up with even fewer teams in the league than we do already.

Not every venue will accomodate pool past a certain time should the matches go on longer than expected.

Scotch doubles in any team format is the worst idea ever, as said by many already, it is the slowest game there is & is just plain boring to watch.

We have had this debate before, & although this thread doesn't reflect it at the moment the majority were against moving to 15 frames.
I would rather be playing golf

Shaggy
#19 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 01:27
Must Get Out More

I am very much anti doubles in legue pool. I played 6 singles 3 doubles in the Tolworth League some years ago. It was the most pointless thing I have ever been involved in.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rambo
#20 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 02:21
Home From Home

In Edinburgh there's a wee tourney going on as the season is over, they are testing out 14 frames and that's 7 singles each. I don't think it's gonna hit off.

Anyways we play 8 singles and 4 doubles here, I'm hoping that we do get 5 frames ASAP in Edinburgh, just posting here to point out the 7 singles format.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Paul Wildman
Paul Wildman
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing