oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
CSPL Gen Playing Procedures & Rules 2008
Golden
#21 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 18:47

FORUM ADDICT!

I don't think it's as simple as that though as if you know at the start who is going to be playing one frame and who is going to be playing two you have to structure your entire lineup around it . .

Viper
#22 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 20:29
Must Get Out More

Spud wrote:
He hasn't won both then. . . . That will be invalid.
You can't play twice in the same half of the match. . . .

I can understand what with it being new that there will be a little confusion to begin with, but it's quite clear and easy to follow I think. . .
If you play 7 players and 5,6,7 are going to play again then 6 & 7 will play twice in the same set. If you are going down the lines of not allowing anyone to play twice in the same set (that being the 2nd for obvious reasons) then you are gearing this trial to a 5 man team set up which I feel will be voted out by the majority in September.

Cyber The Crucifier
#23 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 20:37
Home From Home

the same player cant play at 6 and 9
its not rocket science

miq
#24 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 20:39

Home From Home

The numbering on the cards is gearing this trial to a 5 man team set up. I played 5 in the 1st set, subbed 4 and kept 1 in and played him in the same position. Coach played with 5 players and kept the same 5 in the 2nd set only moving them around as per the numbering on the card.

Shaggy
#25 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 20:40
Must Get Out More

That was the confusion we had yesterday Mark... Sean played at 1 so as far as we were concerned if he was to be played again he would have to play 6, as indicated on the card, and that decison needed to be made prior to playing players 6,7,and 8.

Our understanding was that even if the 3 subs had absolute blinders tehy couldn't play again.

My personal opinion is that the second 5 games should not be dictated by positional changes, and if you happen to draw the same player again, then thats the way it is.

House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamieMc
#26 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 20:57

Quite The Regular

chaos wrote:
the same player cant play at 6 and 9
its not rocket science

May not be rocket science Jamie but he DID play twice.....we only realised afterwards and as there is a bedding period for this trial was no big deal. not in the habit of claiming frames by a technicality either so as long are both sides are happy Smile

Golden
#27 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 21:06

FORUM ADDICT!

Whatever happens, one format needs to be decided upon . .

Brooker
#28 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 21:19
Home From Home

Deutch wrote:
Spud wrote:

I can understand what with it being new that there will be a little confusion to begin with, but it's quite clear and easy to follow I think. . .
If you play 7 players and 5,6,7 are going to play again then 6 & 7 will play twice in the same set. If you are going down the lines of not allowing anyone to play twice in the same set (that being the 2nd for obvious reasons) then you are gearing this trial to a 5 man team set up which I feel will be voted out by the majority in September.

Sorry Mark, but how can 6 & 7 play again, where would thier position be in the last 3 frames as there is no number 6 or 7 against any of the playing positions.

Your previous post was as follows (as on the result cards)

1 v 1
2 v 2
3 v 3
4 v 4
5 v 5

1 v 3
2 v 4
3 v 5
4 v 1
5 v 2

This led ne to believe that whoever played at position 3 4 & 5 for the home team must play 8 9 &10 in the second half (unless substituted) & whoever played 5 1 & 2 for the away team must play 8 9 & 10 in the second half (unless substituted)

So how could any player who was playing the 6th & 7th frames then play again in the last 3 frames.

Also this does not restrict it to a 5 man team event, you can change all 5 players in the second half as far as i understood, so it extends it to a possible 10 man team (Minimum 5 players)

Not being able to pick players again who have played the 6th & 7th frames if they have played well is nothing new, in the old rules if someone had a blinder in any positon they couldn't be picked again because you only got 1 frame anyway, & its unlikely the other team would pick the best player if you were using the pick again rule.

I like the set up the way it is. the home team keep the same positions in the second 5 frames (Bar substitutes) & the away team change to number 3 plays at 6, 4 plays at 7, 5 plays at 8 etc (unless substitutes)

So if you wan a substitute to play at position number 9 in the second half then either number 4 from the first half is dropped (home team) or number 1 from the first half if you are the away team.

I don't think its that confusing
Edited by Brooker on 04-06-2008 21:26
I would rather be playing golf

Golden
#29 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 21:30

FORUM ADDICT!

Brooker wrote:
Sorry Mark, but how can 6 & 7 play again, where would thier position be in the last 3 frames as there is no number 6 or 7 against any of the playing positions.

1 v 1
2 v 2
3 v 3
4 v 4
5 v 5

1 v 3
2 v 4
3 v 5
4 v 1
5 v 2

This led ne to believe that whoever played at position 3 4 & 5 for the home team must play 8 9 &10 in the second half (unless substituted) & whoever played 5 1 & 2 for the away team must play 8 9 & 10 in the second half (unless substituted)

So how could any player who was playing the 6th & 7th frames then play again in the last 3 frames.

As I've mentioned below, I see where Mark is coming from but it's a case of making the decision before the match . . If you have more than 5 players, you put those playing two frames in the first five . . It's simple . .

Golden
#30 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 21:52

FORUM ADDICT!

Ok . . It's this simple . .

You put your first five on the sheet . . This in effect is 'dropping' any others that may be in attendance . .

Then for your second set you decide on who out of the remaining players is coming in for the second set and who they are replacing and make the swaps . .

If you have players who you specifically want to get two frames you make sure they're in the first set . . You make your decision at the point of putting your first five down . . It's the same as before when you had to decide who was being dropped for a match each week . .

If you have say 8 players then you decide after the first set of five who are going to get replaced and by default the remaining players get two frames . .

I think the emphasis needs to be taken away from 'substitues in-running' perhaps . .

Simple enough?
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 04-06-2008 21:55

Lils
#31 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 22:08

Must Get Out More

Wow Golden - how DID you think of that?

That's proper clever, that explanation. Wish I'd thought of that. . .

Viper
#32 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 23:33
Must Get Out More

Shaggy wrote:
That was the confusion we had yesterday Mark... Sean played at 1 so as far as we were concerned if he was to be played again he would have to play 6, as indicated on the card, and that decison needed to be made prior to playing players 6,7,and 8.

Our understanding was that even if the 3 subs had absolute blinders tehy couldn't play again.

My personal opinion is that the second 5 games should not be dictated by positional changes, and if you happen to draw the same player again, then thats the way it is.

This is a trial and I am only giving an opinion like everybody else .... the conditions attached to the current set-up does give the impression of a 5 man set-up sp I think that is what is confusing people. We have all season to iron out the creases.

Viper
#33 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 23:38
Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
Ok . . It's this simple . .

You put your first five on the sheet . . This in effect is 'dropping' any others that may be in attendance . .

Then for your second set you decide on who out of the remaining players is coming in for the second set and who they are replacing and make the swaps . .

If you have players who you specifically want to get two frames you make sure they're in the first set . . You make your decision at the point of putting your first five down . . It's the same as before when you had to decide who was being dropped for a match each week . .

If you have say 8 players then you decide after the first set of five who are going to get replaced and by default the remaining players get two frames . .

I think the emphasis needs to be taken away from 'substitues in-running' perhaps . .

Simple enough?
That makes sense and is simple and if I get any enquiries re this matter then this is what I will quote

Viper
#34 Print Post
Posted on 04-06-2008 23:43
Must Get Out More

Brooker wrote:
Deutch wrote:
Spud wrote:

1 v 1
2 v 2
3 v 3
4 v 4
5 v 5

1 v 3
2 v 4
3 v 5
4 v 1
5 v 2

Also this does not restrict it to a 5 man team event, you can change all 5 players in the second half as far as i understood, so it extends it to a possible 10 man team (Minimum 5 players)

Not being able to pick players again who have played the 6th & 7th frames if they have played well is nothing new, in the old rules if someone had a blinder in any positon they couldn't be picked again because you only got 1 frame anyway, & its unlikely the other team would pick the best player if you were using the pick again rule.

I like the set up the way it is. the home team keep the same positions in the second 5 frames (Bar substitutes) & the away team change to number 3 plays at 6, 4 plays at 7, 5 plays at 8 etc (unless substitutes)

So if you wan a substitute to play at position number 9 in the second half then either number 4 from the first half is dropped (home team) or number 1 from the first half if you are the away team.

I don't think its that confusing
Appreciate the comments Chris, like a lot of people I've still got the old system head on and looking at how 7 goes into 5 but as I have mentioned in my reply to Danny, what he as stated does cover a multitude of sins and when peeps get their heads around that then I don't think there will be any further confusion. That works for up to 10 players which is what this catered for in the 1st instance

Statto
#35 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 00:40

Home From Home

My actions last night seem to have sparked a debate....let me explain...

I have 3 players in my team who live well outside Croydon, and therefore want to leave before the end, and another who wanted to attend to a personal matter. I accomodate them because they are loyal. Under the new proposal put forward in this thread, had I only had 8 players, I would have had to give up a frame. What is the sense in that when I have other players willing to play again? The other alternative is to tell people they can't leave early - not the best policy to ensure continuing loyalty, when the whole point of this change is to stop teams leaving the league.

One of the major plus points whan this proposal was put forward was giving players the option to play twice, but it would seem this is now being limited.

In the match, we actually went 5-0 down, so under this new proposal, I would be forced to pick a player who has already lost. Again, that seems nonsensical to me. Any captain will want to pick players who are playing well, so what is the point in restricting the choice? You might as well just give the frames away.

Perhaps someone can explain to me what is actually wrong with playing a player twice in the second set....

Shaggy
#36 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 01:22
Must Get Out More

I dont think anyone is saying it is wrong, more that if the numbers on the form mean anything then it does restrict what you can do.

Ultimately its why people are discussing it..... There is nothing wrong with either method, but it is something that eventually needs to be clarified for any long term future for the format.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuckie
#37 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 03:35

Quite The Regular

Consider 3 playing 2, 1 playing 4 leaving 5 vs. 6 yet to play. The first set finishing 4-1 to the home team. So say in the second set 7 beat 9, 8 lost to 6 then wouldn?t the first home 3 be forced to play against the substituted away number 10?

That is all well and good but imagine the away number 3 lost to the home number 2, the home number 1 playing the away substituted number 4 then would the 3 vs. 8 match be added to the opposing or imposing team?s total score for that particular night? Or would it just affect the set in which the incident occurred in?

Bare in mind the following: 1 V 1 2 V 2 3 V 3 4 V 4 5 V 5 Continue this with 1,3,5,8,4 vs. 6,1,7,3,5.

What if number 3 was running late and/or can?t always make it every Tuesday night? Especially if it was an away match! How would the very early arrival of the home team?s number 3 result be counted towards the overall rankings and should the offending player be replaced the following week?

If the home substituted number 8 destroyed the away number 5.5, why is it not possible to pick him/her to play 1.4792? Even more so if 9.99?s cue was greasy and 12.756 never had the appropriate chalk!

Also if you?re the secretary playing number 3, and number 3 was their sec too. Does that not entitle a player playing the same player twice? But all this goes against E=MC small 2. Y*X/3+Z. If Y is < 4.3 then there is one last thing? Isn?t it unfair 6 could play 7 because 7 ate 9?

All these issues do need ironing out but other than that it is an extremely basic to understand and greatly enjoyable new format. I truly hope it does work out.

P.S. If anyone replies to this I promise they will never beat me ever again!

mad
Taking my shots looking cool, my self-esteem?s growing tall.
Losing eyes this game is cruel. I do my thing playing pool.

http://www.myspace.com/whitgift
Sting
#38 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 04:58
Quite The Regular

For my two pennies worth i think that the whole idea of the new system was to accommodate teams that struggle to get 7 players out every week and that the minimum players required is now 5. With this being the case then each player would play twice and i think the mixing up of the order as per the numbers on the card is fair.

If the team has the same number of players as last year ie 7 then the first 7 would be unique and then 3 can play again (although this does have to be considered at the start of the game and after the first 5 frames have been played). The 3 players who play again have to be put down as per the their numbers on the card (which again is fair as the other team has the freedom to do whatever they want).

If you have more than 7 players, eg 10 then you can put down 10 unique players however you want. That is also fair.

Then you can also have matches where 1 team only has 5 and 1 has 7 or 10 and so the logic above also applies and is fair.

The other case raised is where people who say play at an early number and the team do not have enough subs and will therefore have to play again might not be able to stay around long enough to play 9 or 10 perhaps. I personally feel that as you only need 5 players to have a totally fair chance to win the match, then if a player cant stay around for 2 hours on a tuesday then dont play them. The summer league is not that serious anyway.

So in conclusion i feel the current system is 100% fair and i cannot see a real case for anyone needing to play twice in the same 5 frames.

Why dont you class each 5 frames as its own fixture to make this clearer, then people will understand that no one can play in the same fixture twice as per the old system.

If teams have better players who lack loyalty or cant be bothered to put themselves out then i say fcuck them and play your reliable players twice as they are the one who will ensure the teams survive (which was the whole point of the ruls change in the first place)

ta ta

sting
Edited by Sting on 05-06-2008 05:04

Farley
#39 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 07:31

Home From Home

Chuckie wrote:
Consider 3 playing 2, 1 playing 4 leaving 5 vs. 6 yet to play. The first set finishing 4-1 to the home team. So say in the second set 7 beat 9, 8 lost to 6 then wouldn?t the first home 3 be forced to play against the substituted away number 10?

That is all well and good but imagine the away number 3 lost to the home number 2, the home number 1 playing the away substituted number 4 then would the 3 vs. 8 match be added to the opposing or imposing team?s total score for that particular night? Or would it just affect the set in which the incident occurred in?

Bare in mind the following: 1 V 1 2 V 2 3 V 3 4 V 4 5 V 5 Continue this with 1,3,5,8,4 vs. 6,1,7,3,5.

What if number 3 was running late and/or can?t always make it every Tuesday night? Especially if it was an away match! How would the very early arrival of the home team?s number 3 result be counted towards the overall rankings and should the offending player be replaced the following week?

If the home substituted number 8 destroyed the away number 5.5, why is it not possible to pick him/her to play 1.4792? Even more so if 9.99?s cue was greasy and 12.756 never had the appropriate chalk!

Also if you?re the secretary playing number 3, and number 3 was their sec too. Does that not entitle a player playing the same player twice? But all this goes against E=MC small 2. Y*X/3+Z. If Y is < 4.3 then there is one last thing? Isn?t it unfair 6 could play 7 because 7 ate 9?

All these issues do need ironing out but other than that it is an extremely basic to understand and greatly enjoyable new format. I truly hope it does work out.

P.S. If anyone replies to this I promise they will never beat me ever again!

mad
Well i never thought it was that simple... Subject closed then...
Home of the Farley Loyalists. Farley Dukes. Farley Small Potatoes...

Golden
#40 Print Post
Posted on 05-06-2008 15:03

FORUM ADDICT!

Sting wrote:
For my two pennies worth i think that the whole idea of the new system was to accommodate teams that struggle to get 7 players out every week and that the minimum players required is now 5. With this being the case then each player would play twice and i think the mixing up of the order as per the numbers on the card is fair.

If the team has the same number of players as last year ie 7 then the first 7 would be unique and then 3 can play again (although this does have to be considered at the start of the game and after the first 5 frames have been played). The 3 players who play again have to be put down as per the their numbers on the card (which again is fair as the other team has the freedom to do whatever they want).

If you have more than 7 players, eg 10 then you can put down 10 unique players however you want. That is also fair.

Then you can also have matches where 1 team only has 5 and 1 has 7 or 10 and so the logic above also applies and is fair.

The other case raised is where people who say play at an early number and the team do not have enough subs and will therefore have to play again might not be able to stay around long enough to play 9 or 10 perhaps. I personally feel that as you only need 5 players to have a totally fair chance to win the match, then if a player cant stay around for 2 hours on a tuesday then dont play them. The summer league is not that serious anyway.

So in conclusion i feel the current system is 100% fair and i cannot see a real case for anyone needing to play twice in the same 5 frames.

Why dont you class each 5 frames as its own fixture to make this clearer, then people will understand that no one can play in the same fixture twice as per the old system.

If teams have better players who lack loyalty or cant be bothered to put themselves out then i say fcuck them and play your reliable players twice as they are the one who will ensure the teams survive (which was the whole point of the ruls change in the first place)

ta ta

sting

clapping

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Wayne Pope
Wayne Pope
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing