jacko267 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Google Chrome
Golden
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 06:59

FORUM ADDICT!

Google have once again brought out 'their version' of something and this time it's a web browser, which they have named 'Chrome'.

Does anyone fancy giving it a go and reporting back?

Google Chrome

I've had a go with it this evening and I'm not entirely convinced but it's always worth hearing other opinions . .

Sass
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 07:16

FORUM ADDICT!

Geek!ner ner

www.croydonpool.com
EmDee
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 16:12

Home From Home

At the risk of sounding like a geek, it doesn't show alt text on images, sometimes bold text doesn't show up properly but more importantly the way it works is just a bit quirky. I ended up sitting there going "how the hell do I go to my homepage?"
As a web developer, I am bound to hate it because now everything I do has to look perfect in YET ANOTHER browser... I don't like it personally, but I'm sure it will become huge...

http://www.joincrash.com
Sass
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 16:15

FORUM ADDICT!

Off topic but what do you make of Safari?

www.croydonpool.com
SCORCHIO12
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 16:40

Must Get Out More

Sass wrote:
Off topic but what do you make of Safari?

I thought Christopher Biggins was superb in it! Around early 80's i think! laughing

Golden
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 16:50

FORUM ADDICT!

I like the font that Safari uses but that's about it . . It just seems a bit too basic and it's not the fastest of browsers either . . You using it?
No Armani No Punani!

Dogger
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 18:39

Must Get Out More

i use safari (pc version). i've used IE and Firefox before but safari seems a lot quicker for me.
although it can't work out FTP addresses and won't let you open them. So have to go back to IE for them.

scottish-hustler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03-09-2008 22:41
Quite The Regular

been testing that chrome out. is really good, speeds you internet browsing up a lot!

scottish-hustler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2008 13:10
Quite The Regular

i was looking into this and the terms and conditions

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (Cool make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

Section 1.1 defines services:
Your use of Google's products, software, services and web sites (referred to collectively as the "Services" in this document and excluding any services provided to you by Google under a separate written agreement) is subject to the terms of a legal agreement between you and Google.

Since Chrome is a Google product/software, then it is part of the "Services". The content you post to any site is thus subject to Section 11 licensing because the content you post is something "which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services".

In other words, by posting anything (via Chrome) to your blog(s), any forum, video site, myspace, itunes, or any other site that might happen to be supporting you, Google can use your work without paying you a dime. This doesn't just apply to blogger, youtube, gmail etc, and if you think it does, re-read section 1.1 and 11. It applies to everything you pass through Chrome. Google can take your submitted content and edit and reuse it all they want, as long as they do so in connection with Chrome. Even further, you're claiming that you have the power to grant these rights. So the people who work for Conde Nast (Wired, Arstechnica), TechCrunch, Gawker, any of the other big web publishers, or a university where the employee is performing research probably can't agree to the Chrome ToS because these people most likely don't have the right to give a license to the intellectual property (IP) they produce.

Most likely your employee or student agreement requires that your employer/university exclusively owns all IP that you make during your time there. Many employment contracts require that the employee signs away exclusive rights to all IP they create during work hours and anything created off hours related to their employer's business. Students get their class credits and the university typically gets copyrights to any writings and exclusive patent rights to any research and inventions. In essence, many content creators (news writers, song writers, artists, copy editors, musicians, students) cannot legally agree to these ToS because they'd be in breach of their employment/student contracts. Now, this does change slightly based on jurisdiction; under German IP law, there are a number of IP rights that content creators simply cannot give up contractually.

Further, you probably can't use your company or school email with Chrome, because your company probably exclusively owns your email, and you can't give away a license to something you don't own. You also can't make representations to Google that you have the power to license this IP if you don't.

Since they've released it, they've already been slapped on the wrist and they've had to change it but what it did mean was whatever you posted or browsed via chrome, google kept the right to use it as/if they want. It may not be much bother for most ppl but for some that post creative material on the net such as pictures, stories or trickshots Pfft etc then they can use it. like i said it has been retracted, but i think whatever they've gathered befroe the terms were changed they can still keep.

always a catch to free stuff, eh lol

Golden
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07-09-2008 17:07

FORUM ADDICT!

Someone else picked up on this in another forum . . I for one very rarely read through the T&C when downloading software and certainly didn't with Chrome what with it being from a reputable source so it just goes to show what goes on that we don't realise too much about . .

As a browser I think it's very good . . It's certainly quicker than the others . . It's worth downloading just for 'Incognito Mode' Wink
No Armani No Punani!

EmDee
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2008 17:49

Home From Home

Wow, you have fully and completely waay too much time on your hands scottish-hustler!

Yeah, my opinion is now slightly higher than it was when I first saw it, and I do realise there are some good features there, but I still just don't get on with it to be honest.

In short, I reckon it's GASH.

Also, when you have a superfast connection and stupidly powerful machine like mine you can't even notice a speed diefference.
ner ner

Golden
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2008 17:53

FORUM ADDICT!

Enough talk about your mains-powered butt plug, what about your PC?
No Armani No Punani!

EmDee
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08-09-2008 20:43

Home From Home

applause

Very funny Evans...

To put it in real terms, my PC is almost as powerful as your hair straightener and your epilator combined.

But it doesn't hold a candle to your Lady Som http://www.loveho...fm?p=14374

Golden
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2008 02:05

FORUM ADDICT!

Crikey Shock:

How on earth do you know things like that exist confused
No Armani No Punani!

EmDee
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2008 16:07

Home From Home

I found it with Google Chrome.

Just typed in your name and there it was...
Edited by EmDee on 09-09-2008 16:16

Dogger
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2008 20:35

Must Get Out More

I don't like Google Chrome, the fonts shit.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Rob McDonnell
Rob McDonnell
24hr Charity Pool Marathon 2006
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing