oddball243 weeks
Knocky248 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
Drillers - The End of an Era
Golden
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 07:21

FORUM ADDICT!

Spoke to a couple of the Drillers team tonight and it seems their season has reached a premature end as one of the CDPL's most successful team over the years folds after just 5 matches Sad

berty
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 07:24
Home From Home

If that is true it is a real shame but not toally surprising

Farley
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 08:53

Home From Home

If this is true... Farley Loyalists are going to be a very strong team...

harry
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 15:41

Must Get Out More

Are a couple of their players looking for a new team?

No i'm not being a vulture, but when opportunity knocks........
Edited by harry on 07-11-2007 15:42
Harry Time!

nuttmeg
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 16:31
Home From Home

there does seem to be a general malaise in the first div at the moment, Truey and Scott said this will be the Edens last year which I think is a real shame if thats true, the SAS are turning up with 4 players and now Danny informs us the Drillers are splitting up,did they have a bust up?because on paper they are a talented team

ThePower
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 17:03

Must Get Out More

I don't want to gatecrash the Drillers thred, but maybe its the time or maybe its a bit premature to announce but in the Eden's present set up this 100% be our last season all together.

Number of reasons but in the main we have lost some key and influential players this season (Liam Connors, Tony Venus, Donna Evans), which leaves us with just 7 full time players. No competition for places and if one drops out (which will happen in the course of a season) we are in trouble.

Scott is certain he will not play next season, he has said for the last 4 years he would not play and we managed to keep getting one more season out of him. I told the boys before the start of the season that I cannot keep on making the trip from Southend each week as with my work and 2 kids it is really becoming hard work week in week out to make the 120 mile round journey which I've loyally done now for the past 8 years. Truey always said we would know when it was right to turn off the Eden's lights (cue a violin player) and I am guessing it will feel right to do that at the end of the current Winter season. We now need to go out on a high note, make sure we stay up and give it one last massive push to win one of the two cups.

Whether Arthur, and a few of the other boys will try and keep the Eden name going remains to be seen - they need players so maybe a merge with some of the Drillers is the way forward for both these teams? After all, both sides have earned their places in Croydon history. Farley Eden Drillers.............
Edited by ThePower on 07-11-2007 17:07

berty
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 17:08
Home From Home

would be a big shame mate but I like the sound of the Driller Edens

berty
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 17:16
Home From Home

I think unfortunately the nature of these teams and the fact in most cases it is played by adults means people move on, we play every year as if it will be out last cos we have come too close to folding too many times to take anything for granted. I think everything has its shelf life and I cant blame either the drillers or the eden for making their decisions as no one can say that they have not tried their best to keep the teams going through tough times.

This will be a big blow for the league losing two division one legends in one fould swoop the only think that concerns me is that both announcements are made after dissapointing losses which is never the best time to announce something

Shaggy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 17:20
Must Get Out More

I saw John Hoy, Mick Samuel and ROb NcDonnell on the Monday for snooker, and we spoke about pool, and they said nothing whatsoever about having any issues. Either something has happened on the Tuesday or perhaps they forgot!

Power is correct, teams like Eden and Drillers are like Marmite. You either love or hate them, but they have been part of the make up of the first Division for years and both won stuff, The Drillers having won oodles of trophies. The league will be a poorer place if both teams go into the distance.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pondlife
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 18:23

Must Get Out More

It is sad to hear of the demise of two great teams. Could the Drillers not amalgamate with Suzie's Floozies to form say Drillies Frillies !!

Golden
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 18:37

FORUM ADDICT!

It's the likes of John Hoy and Steve Raines I feel sorry for . .

ThePower
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 18:43

Must Get Out More

berty wrote:
This will be a big blow for the league losing two division one legends in one fould swoop the only think that concerns me is that both announcements are made after dissapointing losses which is never the best time to announce something

I had no intention of announcing anything just yet, but Mr Nuttman's post sparked me into action and nothing to do with our start to the season or on the back of a few losses.

On paper the Eden has probably had the toughest opening 4 league fixtures out of any of the mid table sides. The Bloodhounds we were expected to beat and did. Then it was the Hot Shots and last night against the Ego's. In both matches we competed well and really should have come away with more than the two 5-2 defeats.

We'll stay up, I am sure of that, too much spirit in the squad. We have struggled these last few seasons, survived by the skins of our teeth on the last 2 occasions. Important we go out on top.

Coneycueist
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 19:15

Home From Home

Shotgun Arthur Hewson and Mick Samuels.
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

Spud
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 20:44

Home From Home

I can only reiterate the comments thus far, It really would be a great loss to the league if either or both of these teams folded, and I think the Marmite analogy sums them up perfectly.
Love them or hate them, you can have nothing but admiration for the pure passion of the Eden.
As for the Drillers, they are an institution, and have produced some of the best known legends that this league has ever known.

These will be the two highest profile names mentioned, but are not the only teams struggling for numbers. Across the whole league teams are struggling for a regular 7.
The Pawleyne, close to my heart, are a perfect example, and I'm sure there are many more.

Perhaps then, this is a conviniant time to discuss (again) the possibility of restructuring the way we play our matches.

The best idea I've heard is make it 10 frames (2 sets of 5)
With a minimum of 5 players to a team.

It allows teams struggling for 7 players to carry on.
It allows existing teams with larger squads to still carry on playing 7 or 8 players per week.
The prospect of playing 2 frames a week, as opposed to a single frame, will attract players from further afield (Surrey for instance) who would originally be put off by the 1 frame format.

Discuss.

Sass
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07-11-2007 21:31

FORUM ADDICT!

Totally agree with you on that score. I've twice said I'll put a proposal in along those lines and on both occasions I was told someone else was doing it when that wasn't the case.

I don't care if there are 10 identical proposals made next time - I will be doing one of them!

www.croydonpool.com
Burn
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 06:04

Quite The Regular

Sad day.

As much as I barrack them for constantly failing to get a reliable 7, I love the Drillers.

Got 20 or more trophies dowstairs with Drillers engraved on the front (OK most are League Cup Group winners *spit*, but it sounds good huh) Wink

For what it's worth, since moving over Chertsey way, I now only play in 1 team, on a Thursday, 16 frames, 5 players, all of us get 3 frames, best player on night gets a 4th.

Starts at 8, never finishes past 11.

Whole different ball game to Croydon.

I couldn't dream of going back to 1 frame on a Tuesday, to the extent that I'd struggle to motivate myself for it even if i still lived over there.

You desperately need a format change.

7 x 1 is for old fudging rules.

As said, we manage 16 frames, and whilst league rules allow for stopwatch, we rarely if ever use them, as we all try to play within the minute, out of courtesy to our opponents.

http://www.surreypool.com
buntycollocks
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 06:51
Quite The Regular

Shaggy wrote:
I saw John Hoy, Mick Samuel and ROb NcDonnell on the Monday for snooker, and we spoke about pool, and they said nothing whatsoever about having any issues. Either something has happened on the Tuesday or perhaps they forgot

shaggy
its ur fault
not touching indeed.....john hoys on suicide watch
laughing
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

RasFas
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 06:52

Quite The Regular

The idea of merging the drillers with the unpredictables has been around a long time but losing either one of these teams from the league seemed too much for either team's ego. If they really are breaking up then whoever still wants to play are welcome at the unpreds. Of course, we only want the reliable ones... chasing a chicken
www.o0o0o.co.uk/franc/images/unpred.gif

buntycollocks
#19 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 06:57
Quite The Regular

i love my picture laughing

which evans is going to die ?

threaten
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

Golden
#20 Print Post
Posted on 08-11-2007 08:18

FORUM ADDICT!

Neither . . Unless Sass is a distant relative or has married me without telling me . .

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Paul Wildman
Paul Wildman
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing