oddball243 weeks
Knocky248 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
League week 4 runners and riders
berty
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 19:21
Home From Home

Farley Eden V The Drillers (RIP)
A sad day indeed. The drillers seemingly folding after a very long time in the league and having had some of croydons best ever players gracing their ranks. They got their share of stick over the years (me included) for turning up short etc but as other teams are now experiencing it is not easy to keep a team of people together on the promise of one frame of pool per night. The Eden boys have decided to call it a day also after this season so it is all the more apparent when you realise these two croydon legends will never play each other again. Many discussions have come up as a result of the departure of the drillers but I empathise completely and also with the likes of alex who has to travel great distances to matches (our very own oap sorry I mean vip merv davis does a 6 hour round trip to each match these days. One bye per season for the rest of division one.

Bloodhounds 3 Vs 4 Bromley Cue Masters
After seeing the bloodhounds last week I believe they will be more capable than most teams of creating an upset against the bigger team. They played fearless pool and can count themselves unfortunate that they caught the Coney on the best night they have had in ages. However winning is a nack and the Cuemasters have that in barreloads at the moment whiulst in contract the bloodhounds are yet to win one. They will not like the fact I have predicted them a win as it seemed to kick them in to action predicting them to lose. I think whoever goes 2-1 will win this one.

Rileys Unpredictables 4 v 3 The Patriots
Tough one to call this. Unpredictables are due a win after back to back defeats by the Coney and the Cuemasters Patriots on the back of back to back wins at the Rack pack and SAS. I think the Unpredictables need to go 3-1 up as their order is quite top heavy which they are well capable of doing. Unpredictables to sneak it with home advantage.

Rack Pack 3 v 4 Propeller
Propeller have had a mixed bag of a start with two emphatic wins over the patriots and the SAS but a dissapointing loss to their title competitors in the Eagles. This fixture will bring back euphoric memories of their burst on the division one scene last season for the Rack pack whent hey turned over the Prop in the first couple of games. Rack Pack need a win but my feeling is that lightning does not strike twice and the Propeller will want to go in to the Christmas break still believeing they can win the title in contrast to the last couple of seasons where they have been also rans. Interesting return for Mr Jackman and Miller could be firey dont rule out a passionate upset.

Eagles 7 v 0 SAS
Eagles on the back of a great start will be not thinking of losing another games at very earliest until the return fixtures against the Hot shots and Propeller. One of the middle teams will need to step up to the plate and be counted to stop the Eagles running away from the Pack. The SAS however look like early season Lambs ready for the slaughter. I cannot see any of the teams in this league losing to them so if they pulled this one off it could be the biggest shock in the history of division one, maybe even bigger than the magnum foce beating the eagles many moons ago. Can't see it happening. SAS to remain on 4 points after 4 games and stranded at the bottom of the table.

Hot Shots 3 V 4 Coney Cues
Hot Shots in a similar position to the Propller having lost an early season war of wits with their main title contenders will however remain confident of burying the Coney at home in emphatic style. Coney on the back of a great performance last week are in the exact position they wanted to be in going in to a very tough sequence of matches including the Eales , Hot shots and the Eden Derby match before christmas. We will play like we have nothing to lose and will be agressive from the offset. Bring it on.

ThePower
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 19:52

Must Get Out More

Eden v Drillers
Is it on? Is it off?

Bloodhounds v Cuemasters
The Cuemasters have had a dream start to the season, maybe not a surprise as their opening 3 matches were there for the taking. I predict they will go 4 out of 4 wins. 5-2 Cuemasters.

Unpreds v Patriots
The Patriots have not been too impressive so far, scrambling a few wins but the Unpreds come into this off the back of two 5-2 defeats. Knocky claims they are struggling to field a full strength side, if that happens tomorrow night then the Patriots should win. 4-3 Patriots.

Rack Pack -v- Prop
The long journey from table 2 to table 5 may take its toll on the Prop boys but that is the only hope the Rack Pack have. The Prop should have too much class for the Rack Pack to cope with. 5-2 Propeller.

Eagles v SAS
I think Berty summed it up very smartly. It would be a major shock if the SAS win this one. Eagles were visibly rocked by us last week but its the same old story that if you don't finish them off they always make you pay. Whatever openings the SAS players get they must take them or its curtains. Eagles win 6-1.

Hot Shots v Coney
This is the fixture of the night. Hot Shots have a front three that most sides would die for and when they get in front they seem to cruise to victory without any effort. The Coney have started well and three 5-2 wins is impressive. There is no doubt in my mind the Coney boys can beat the Hot Shots in their own backyard. Whether they really believe they can against the big guns is always a major doubt. Take something from the first 3 matches and its game on.
Poney to win 4-3.

harry
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 20:07

Must Get Out More

We are on table 9.....Even further for them to travel.

Harry Time!

the-shark
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 20:39

Home From Home

blood hounds 3-4 bromley cuemasters
unpredictables 4-3 patriots
rat pack 2-5 the prop
eagles 6-1 sas
hot shots 4-3 the coney cues

definately the match of the night hot shots v coney and like alex i do think they can win if they can go into frame 4 at no more than 2-1 down, wud be a great result for them if they did. the rat pack will do well to get much out of the prop but im sure results will come from them. was very impessed with the unpredictables last week a good mixture of experiance and youth and if they can get 7 players they will prob nick it 4-3 , eagles should win this comfortably and would have to say 6-1. with berty predicting us to win i am worried! the hound dogs have been a bit of a bogey team for us so expecting a tight game although we should have enough depth in the team( if everyone turns up) to run out winners.

berty
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 20:50
Home From Home

nice to see some predictions coming in I have seen two boys from the rack pack on here and mr shaggy your thoughts?

Shaggy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 21:10
Must Get Out More

Eden v Drillers
A complete farce. Any team that enters should fulfill there fixtures.

Bloodhounds v Cuemasters
I know absolutely nothing about the Bloodsports but dispite all this putting up a good show nonsense, its wins thats matters, and they better turn nearlys to wins pretty quickly to stay out of trouble, it is amazing how the bonus points save you. I know almost all the Bromley lads very well, and I am suprised how well they have gone at the start of the year. I can definately say that I thought the splitting of the summer team would cause mayhem, but clearly not. Wiing is a good habit and the CMs to nick another. 3-4

Unpreds v Patriots
The unpreds looked on the up last Summer, and the Patriots were the form team at the end of the season, who I expected to be in the top 4 this year. Neither have started particualrly great, but if Graf isnt playing and Knocky is inconsistant in turning up, thats two of the players that win most absent. I think the Patriots will win 5-2 on this basis.

Rack Pack -v- Prop
Harry has a go at me for always being negative about the Rack Pack. I dont like to be negative but no........... The Prop may not be as good as they were a couple of years ago, but they still have stickability and can compete in any match, even if over the course of a season they may full short. Miller is more of a loss than Jackman this year, because from what I recall he consistantly preduced results, though Jackman clearly has potential (and an ego to match!). Prop to win 5-2, though lots depends on whether Wayne and Leon can be assed.

Eagles v SAS
I only have last years Summer and this years results to go on, and neither were particulalry encouraging. I suspect the SAS will have enough players, as I cant remember the last time a team turned up short against us (including the Drillers!). That said if we play to our ability it should be us dictating the result. Would happy to win anything 5-2 or above.

Hot Shots v Coney
The Hotshots without the Clarkes are not as good, but are still very good. People always talk about Sean and Rod, and rightly so there stats indicate that they are the best players. However, Ian Chapmans confidence has obviously gone up since winning the singles and Michael Brown is an excellent one frame player. I suspect that very few teams played them last year thinking they could win, when this year they see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Hotshots and ourselves win a number of matches playing poorly because others go thinking a 2-5 loss will not matter as everyone else will go down the same route.
The Coney have always played well against us, and would assume they will put up a good fight again. Nonetheless the Hotshots have the ability for quick painless one visit disches that I have not seen the Coney do, and you have to fight fire with fire to compete. Hotshots to win 5-2, but hope I am wrong.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

berty
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 21:20
Home From Home

I would never go in to a match taking a 5-2 loss. In this league you live for these kind of matches. The most gutted I have been after a game was when we lost to the eagles after having a 99 out of a 100 finish to clinch the match and took no comfort from the fact we got 3 frames in the end. We are missing James and matt Ansell tomorrow night which is not ideal but no excuses we all have to stand up and take the game to the champions. You have to take your chances cos you can pretty much guarantee we will lose at least one frame without getting a shot!

Spudangles
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 21:54
Home From Home

Not only are we missing the Clarkes, Dino hardly plays now and Tony Bailey has gone awol so we are not expecting anything this season.

Spud
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 22:05

Home From Home

I take it still no official word on the Drillers fate then?

Assuming there is a Drillers prescence tomorrow night,it's an Eden win all the way.
Drillers morale lower than a snakes belly.

Golden
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 22:36

FORUM ADDICT!

Bloodhounds 2-5 Bromley Cuemasters
I had Ted Freeman telling me how great the Cuemasters are and how they're going to do brilliant this season . . I had to correct him as he was bordering on being delerious! That said the Bloodhounds look like strong relegation candidates so the league leaders will continue their form.

Rileys Unpredictables 2-5 The Patriots
This is based on Knocky and Graf not being there . . A massive loss for MOD's team and with The Patriots being a solid outfit these days there will be no mercy for the home team and their early season's woes will continue.

Rack Pack 1-6 The Prop
If Wayne and Leon turn up it's beef curtains for the home side who are not taking advantage of a less than though start to the season . . Miller and Jacka to win their frames to rub salt into the wounds.

Red Deer Eagles 5-2 S.A.S.
Eagles to turn up with six players, Shaggy to play twice and lose both frames.

Hot Shots 5-2 Coney Cues
Even with players missing the Hot Shots are a quality side and have the fear factor that cause meltage over in Lewisham. Coney to suffer from being 2-0 down and struggle to get back into the match.

Eden v The Drillers
Hmmm . .

longshanks
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 23:02

Must Get Out More

I suspect Ted was talking about the summer team. We've had a great start but realistically we know that 4th would be a great achievement.

Shaggy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 23:04
Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
Bloodhounds 2-5 Bromley Cuemasters
I had Ted Freeman telling me how great the Cuemasters are and how they're going to do brilliant this season . . I had to correct him as he was bordering on being delerious! That said the Bloodhounds look like strong relegation candidates so the league leaders will continue their form.

Rileys Unpredictables 2-5 The Patriots
This is based on Knocky and Graf not being there . . A massive loss for MOD's team and with The Patriots being a solid outfit these days there will be no mercy for the home team and their early season's woes will continue.

Rack Pack 1-6 The Prop
If Wayne and Leon turn up it's beef curtains for the home side who are not taking advantage of a less than though start to the season . . Miller and Jacka to win their frames to rub salt into the wounds.

Red Deer Eagles 5-2 S.A.S.
Eagles to turn up with six players, Shaggy to play twice and lose both frames.

Hot Shots 5-2 Coney Cues
Even with players missing the Hot Shots are a quality side and have the fear factor that cause meltage over in Lewisham. Coney to suffer from being 2-0 down and struggle to get back into the match.

Eden v The Drillers
Hmmm . .

Id concentrate less on abusing me, and more on actually turning up, and completing your real job, of providing up to date tables. Jacka.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry
#13 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 00:02

Must Get Out More

As I have time today, I think I will have a go at predicting

Hot Shots 4 Coney 3

I hate to agree with everyone here, but I do. As much as I like the Coney guys, I think the Hot Shots will be too powerful for them

Bloodhounds 2 Cue Masters 5

We have played the Cue Masters already this season, and they seem to have a pretty good squad, so it's the Cue Master for me

Unpredictables 3 Patriots 4

Having played the Patriots last week (Did I mention I beat Jacko?) they do have good players throughout. As everyone else has mentioned, if Knocky and Graf aren't there im afraid the Patriots will just scrape the win

The Rack Pack 6 The Prop 1

With the Rack Pack off to a flying start this season, and with home advantage I can only see this as a one way demolition from the Rack Pack

It's OK, I have woken up now!!!

The Rack Pack 3 The Prop 4

I have never known such a poor/unlucky start to the season from some of our players, it has to change soon. But alas, I don't think it will be against the Prop.
If the Pope twins turn it on, then thats 2 down straight away....But you never know

Red Deer Eagles 6 S.A.S 1

I tipped the Eagles to win the league from the start, and I think the scoreline will flatter them, but a 6-1 win it will be.

Farley Eden v The Drillers

Ahem!
Edited by harry on 13-11-2007 00:08
Harry Time!

Teach
#14 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 00:24

Home From Home

bloodhounds have been unlucky so far this season loss frames they should have won. ner ner:box:

berty
#15 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 00:30
Home From Home

Unfortunately the luck argument only carries so much weight and i would suggest with your style of play you are as likely to turn over the big guys as you are to lose to rubbish teams, You need to get in to the habit of eeking out wins if you are to stay up. I might be wrong but I would suggest if you come up against players with tactical nouse you may struggle but on an attacking table like the new one in the elmer last week you will be as good as most teams. Good luck anyhow

the-shark
#16 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 01:15

Home From Home

agree with shanks ! ted was talking about the summer team golden not the winter team ect, he does get carried away tho and despite our gud start this season we are under no illusions that it will be a difficult season, we have lost 4 quality players from the summer team and most of the lads only play one frame a week so in time that will tell especially with bigger matches coming up, but next summer when the the elmer and bromley teams combine i think we will have a very good season.

ThePower
#17 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 03:57

Must Get Out More

Enjoy it shark man, keep it going. Any team that is above the Ego's gets the thumbs up from me. Plus all this negativity about the Coney, its rubbish, they have the line up to take out the Hot Shots. If they want it enough its theirs for the taking.

I can confirm the Eden v Drillers match is off.......

Sad day for Division 1, and Croydonpool in general, one of the league's greats are no more.

As for this seasons relegation battle, think I am correct in thinking, that with the Drillers folding, its now only 2 down.....
Edited by ThePower on 13-11-2007 05:21

berty
#18 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 17:16
Home From Home

SAS and one other you might not get relegated alex!

Golden
#19 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 00:23

FORUM ADDICT!

I think it also means that there will be three teams to come up from Division Two making the title race even more important there . .

ThePower
#20 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 04:55

Must Get Out More

Three teams always come up.....

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Paul Wildman
Paul Wildman
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing