View Thread
 Print Thread
CSL IV - KO Cup Rules and Draw
Fat-Dart
#1 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 19:49

FORUM ADDICT!

GENERAL RULES
? The general rules of play will be the same as for standard league matches with regard to start times, venue, table allocation etc.
? The KO Cup will be held on allocated weeks, as per the fixtures schedule.
? As with League matches, an additional ?2 match fee will apply per player, per fixture for the duration of their stay in the competition, with the exception of the final. All match fees are to be paid prior to the relevant fixture commencing.
? Please see the Payout Structure for prize information. All prizes are subject to entries and players? table fees being paid on time.
SCORING
? Matches are to be played as ?first to 6 frames? but, as with tennis, if the score reaches 6-5, one further game is played. If the leading player wins this game, he wins the match 7-5. If the trailing player wins the game, the score is tied at 6-6 and a tiebreaker frame is played. The winner of the tiebreak frame wins the match by a score of 7-6.
HANDICAPPING SYSTEM
? The following handicapping system will be applied for all KO Cup Matches:
PREMIER PLAYERS ? START ON -2
DIVISION ONE PLAYERS ? START 0
DIVISION TWO PLAYERS ? START ON +2
This means, for example, if a Premier player draws a Division Two player, then he starts on -2, while the Division Two player starts on +2.
? All first round losers will be entered into the KO Plate Competition which will run alongside the main event, as per the fixture programme.
DRAWS
? Each round will be drawn, at random, by the Organisers, after all previous round matches have been played. Table allocations will also be done, at random, following the draw.
? Should any player leave the league and not complete their fixture programme while still in the KO Competition, their next opponent in the competition will receive a BYE.
Edited by Fat-Dart on 29-04-2009 19:50

Triple C
#2 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 20:15

Home From Home

I don't think the handicap system is fair... There are plenty of capable players in all divisions...

longshanks
#3 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 20:24

Must Get Out More

I think Paul is probably right but presumably the format is here to stay and over time the divisions should be roughly balanced in line with the handicaps. The only other way to do it would be for a committee to handicap each player individually, which would also lead to arguments.
Hughie should be -6 though.

Fat-Dart
#4 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 21:23

FORUM ADDICT!

I thought this may spark a debate...

The idea of the handicapping was to give the lesser players a chance too, otherwise it may end up just being an all Premiership KO very quickly.

miq
#5 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 21:41

Home From Home

It'll be the luck of the draw I guess.

I don't fancy giving the likes of John Hoy a 4 game start in a race to 6.

When is the draw being done?

Fat-Dart
#6 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 21:56

FORUM ADDICT!

That was partly the idea of adding in the tennis score bit. So, using Miq's example:
Miq -2
John +2
Miq would have to win 8 games before John wins 4.
Not exactly the same as a 4 headstart to 6, where John would only have to win 2 to win.
If it finished as 6-5 (either way), there'd be one more frame. If the leader won that, it's 7-5 win. If the trailing player won, it'd be 6-6, so there'd be a final tiebreaker frame, the winner of which wins the match 7-6.

We did toy with the idea of it being -1, 0, +1 but over distance, that didn't seem enough as all it would take is one break/dish from a Premier player to make it evens again. By having 2, it slightly favours the weaker player, making more to play for all round, otherwise there's a danger Division 2 wouldn't even bother.

As Miq says, it is the luck of the draw...

Talking of which, I've done it already and will be posting it here when I get time but I'll have details with me tomorrow night too. (more paperwork for you all to lose!)

TomT
#7 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 22:01
Quite The Regular

I'll the handicap run throughout the competition or just first/second round?

Fat-Dart
#8 Print Post
Posted on 29-04-2009 22:10

FORUM ADDICT!

It'll be throughout the competition.

(that's the intention anyway)

RasFas
#9 Print Post
Posted on 30-04-2009 21:19

Quite The Regular

Fat-Dart wrote:
We did toy with the idea of it being -1, 0, +1 but over distance, that didn't seem enough as all it would take is one break/dish from a Premier player to make it evens again.

That made me laugh!

You make it sound as though we do it all the time - or as if none of the Div2 players will do it. The league hasn't sorted itself out properly yet so I think its too early to be giving players 50% start based on divisions.

I understand where you're coming from but I think its too much, especially considering the actual personnel involved. In order to win 6-4 I have to win 8 frames to 2... I can't even do that against Shane! crying

longshanks
#10 Print Post
Posted on 30-04-2009 21:23

Must Get Out More

That's a fair point. I think -4, -2 and scratch would have been fairer.

RasFas
#11 Print Post
Posted on 30-04-2009 21:44

Quite The Regular

I would suggest 0, +2, +3, race to 7. Why take the chance on being beaten to a negative score? Also, why a tiebreaker? What would be different from a final odd numbered frame? It would be interesting if we could come up with a way to share advantage in a frame, as in a tennis tiebreaker though...
www.o0o0o.co.uk/franc/images/unpred.gif

Nature Boy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 30-04-2009 22:47

Home From Home

I just want my 2 pence in, but I don't agree or believe there should be no handicap in any type of competion in any of the Croydon leagues or tournments. Not saying that I am, but if I was in Div 5 and playing against a top Div1 player, it would be give me great insentive to beat that player and prove myself.

Any player, not matter what div they are in, can beat anybody on their day, even over say a best of 13.

There is allot of great players in this league that can beat everyone on their day.Grin

AndyT
#13 Print Post
Posted on 01-05-2009 15:05
Quite The Regular

I must say that I agree with Ally - We have had a singles knockout in the CDPL for years with no handicap...
It really should be luck of the draw - lets face it - you get drawn against a top player 'nothing to lose' syndrome takes over and you could play out of your skin... That said you could get your butt kicked too!!
Same applies for those at the top - they still have off nights and have all lost to a less capable opponent at some point...
The change in rules were quoted as "being a real leveller" - that should be all the lesser opponent requires then!
Still Rollin' Back The Years..

Fat-Dart
#14 Print Post
Posted on 01-05-2009 16:05

FORUM ADDICT!

Granted, the CDPL has had a KO Comp for years. When was the last time it was won by a lower division player? Yes, World Rules could be considered by some to be a leveller but realistically, they're not.

This is the first KO Comp the CSL has had, so we agreed last night to run with the current handicap format. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then we'll change it next time.

EmDee
#15 Print Post
Posted on 01-05-2009 16:13

Home From Home

Fat-Dart wrote:
Miq would have to win 8 games before John wins 4.

So where can I put a bet on John to win the KO cup?

http://www.joincrash.com
Truey
#16 Print Post
Posted on 01-05-2009 17:03
Quite The Regular

I was in a singles league at JFK's a few years back & it was handicapped & as always some are dealt a good hand while others not so....end of the day the better players are in the top div & they should give the players in lower divs a start - of course Mark Miller & John Hoy have a good chance of winning it, but give the format a chance as it is all new

Emdee what price you looking for son (And don't be silly with your request) & how much you willing to stake
Edited by Truey on 01-05-2009 17:03
HOW LONG LEFT ?

EmDee
#17 Print Post
Posted on 01-05-2009 19:30

Home From Home

Truey wrote:
Emdee what price you looking for son (And don't be silly with your request) & how much you willing to stake

I'll bet you your decency son - oh wait a minute. fishing for a bite

On a serious note, I said that to make the point that it's not particularly fair. I certainly won't gamble on the outcome of an event that I'm playing in.

Even though Mark or John clearly have an unfair advantage...

http://www.joincrash.com
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Micky Samuel
Micky Samuel
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing