oddball240 weeks
Knocky244 weeks
Teach248 weeks
FoxC261 weeks
cazza266 weeks
andye266 weeks
jacko266 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Format Change Proposal
Golden
#1 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 22:55

FORUM ADDICT!

Right . . It's time to give it a shot . . I'm going to draft a proposal for the match format to be changed for the 2008 Croydon Summer Pool League . .

This is my proposal . . Please let me know your thoughts and it will be adjusted where necessary prior to it being submitted . . CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ONLY PLEASE!

Maximum of 10 players per squad
Reducing the squad size in line with the minimum number of players required to form a team

Matches to be played over 10 frames (2 sets of 5)
Giving scope for more frames per night and providing longer match durations to benefit venues

5 players to play first set . . Up to two 'substitutions' can be made in the second set . . Therefore up to 7 players can play in any one match . . Substitutions do not HAVE to be made so there is the possibility that 5 players can play twice per match.
Opportunity for players to play more than one per night . . Less players required to make a match will suit the Summer League where it is thought to be less 'important' than the Winter League and where unfortunately players tend to turn up less frequently . . Less commitment will be required to start and run a team . .

The away team's second set order to change so that no player to play the same opponent more than once per match . .
Suggested by Scottish-Hustler

Only a player's first frame counts towards towards Divisional Singles wins if they play more than one frame in any match
Makes it fair for teams with larger squads

Where a team turns up with less than 5 players, the picking a player again rule can only be used once with the remaining frames being awarded to the opposition. Where both teams are short of players and the pick again rule has been used, the remaining frames become void.
This still allows flexibility with regards to team numbers but at the same time provides fairness to those teams that turn up with adequate numbers

KnockOut Cup Semi Final to be played to 3 sets of 5 frames and the KnockOut Cup Final to be played to 4 sets of 5 frames . . The substitution rule is applied again with up to two substitutions permitted with the only stipulation being once a player is substituted they cannot be brought back in later in the match (as in football) . . If the final reaches 10-10 a player is picked by their own team to play a one-frame decider to decide the match outcome
To keep the format in line for both league and cup competitions

If the plate competitions remains in place for the 2008 Summer Season, a new Division One Singles KO to be introduced with matches being played to the best of 9 frames throughout . . To be played on Wednesday nights . .
This will attempt to redress the balance where by Division Two and below teams have the possibility of three extra competitions for the same team entry fee

To be in place for the Summer League only as a trial run
There are a lot more things to take into account with the Winter League and a lot more can go wrong if the format doesn't work out so the Summer League to be used as the test
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 22-02-2008 20:31

scottish-hustler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:17
Quite The Regular

I like the idea of having only 10 players per squad. That'll also make the teams more picky on who they have, which will have players to the teams standards.... if ya know what i mean lol

two sets of five is also a good idea. In the reigate league, prem div play 3 sets of 5 while the rest play 2 sets. maybe we could do this. Or, like I used to play up north Wink which i think was really good, 8 singles and 4 doubles, with 3 doubles in cup matches. This makes the game good to watch, especially at the end where not only are doubles matches more tactical anyway, they're the frames that can decide the win. Going back to the 2 sets of 5. If this happens it should be made when players can't play eatchother twice.

As the rest It doesn't really mean much to me.... I just turn up and play lol

Something which I think would be good to add and will give the players something to do during the week because, if like me, I get bored during the week with no pool lol. We could do a ladder for each division. This could be up to the players wether or not they wish to join, but there should be a limit to a minimum of 2 matces every 2 weeks and the challenging players is the away player. This way when someone is challenged they won't be put off with having to travel to the away venue.

If you think I'm talking nonsense, just rememebr I#m scottish. Don't pay attention hitting with a chair

Golden
#3 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:31

FORUM ADDICT!

All suggestions welcomed and some good ideas there . .

The reason I didn't include doubles was mainly because it's the worst format of pool known to man but other than that the CDPL have notoriously not welcome drastic change and I've tried to structure the proposal so that it isn't overly different from the current format with only a couple of tweaks . .

The ladder is a good idea but I doubt would form part of the league . . There is nothing to stop either an independant and informal ladder league being set up or even taking part in the existing Surrey Ladder League . . Burn is the person to speak to either way . .

Regarding your statement about 2 sets of 5 . . Good idea . . As in the cup competitions, the away team's second set of 5 order would change so that no player plays the same opponent twice . .

Statto
#4 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:43

Home From Home

Regarding the comment of the play again rule, would that apply only in the first set, or can it be used in both sets?

Golden
#5 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:45

FORUM ADDICT!

It would apply only once and in the first set (frame five) so the last frame of the match would be awarded to the opposition . . It's a balance of helping the team who are short but not overly penalizing the team who have turned up with the appropriate number of players . .

porky
#6 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:47

Getting The Hang Of It

i personally like the set up the way it is,if it aint broke then don't try and fix it.do you not think the matches might go on too long with the extra 3 frames? i travel from mottingham on a tuesday so it takes me at least 40 mins to get home from most venues as it is.

Golden
#7 Print Post
Posted on 24-12-2007 23:54

FORUM ADDICT!

I would have thought travelling from Mottingham you'd like the opportunity to play more than one frame a night?

Now that players are more familiar with the rules and the style of play generated by them, matches are finishing earlier and earlier and the extra frames would benefit both the venues and make more of a night of it . .

This is of course my own personal opinion and not necessarily the general consensus . .

Billy
#8 Print Post
Posted on 25-12-2007 00:21

Quite The Regular

I like the idea of playing more frames on a Tuesday. While many more players are more familiar with the rules and frames are finishing quicker, i still think there are too many who take far too long when they have a shot and there is a risk of matches dragging on. Is it worth thinking about including a time limit on shots in the proposal? Id personally like the standard 1 minute but im not sure if there is anything that says you cant have a 1min30 or 2 min limit?

Also - scrap the plate comps...

scottish-hustler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 25-12-2007 01:55
Quite The Regular

another think which would be good for a laught, and suzi's would be good for. a speed pool comp at the end of the season big grin

Fat-Dart
#10 Print Post
Posted on 25-12-2007 02:52

FORUM ADDICT!

Billy wrote:
Id personally like the standard 1 minute but im not sure if there is anything that says you cant have a 1min30 or 2 min limit?

As has been said on many previous occasions, 1 minute is plenty of time. Doesn't sound much but it's a long time to be thinking about a shot. (not sure Rob 'The Cat' will like it though.. :lolSmile

Golden
#11 Print Post
Posted on 25-12-2007 04:08

FORUM ADDICT!

My only fear of having the shot time limit in place is that it's taking it a bit too far and away from the 'pub pool' attitude . . The CDPL has always had a local pool feel about it and bringing in World Rules alienated enough people . . Imagine telling them that they have to play a shot in a minute to rules that they hardly know . . I can see a few people getting stopwatches rammed down their throats laughing

How many matches are running past 11pm these days? It was a very regular occurence 5 years ago . .

Shaggy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 25-12-2007 10:33
Must Get Out More

An indivudual k/o comp per division to be played at suzis. 6 indiual weeks of comps so max 80 players each week. Make div 1 and 2 on non county/interleague weeks and the rest when ever. Probably get max of 32 in all divisions but worth a pop.

Accomodate this by playing 8 player knock outs at each singles and 4 at each doubles venue, 2 table venues have larger so more than one round of doubles and singles are played on the first couple of nights.
Edited by Shaggy on 25-12-2007 10:35
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden
#13 Print Post
Posted on 26-12-2007 03:25

FORUM ADDICT!

I think the proposal should be more centered around the actual format on a match night rather than adding more events (I know I added one in but that's more to prove a point than anything)

Sass
#14 Print Post
Posted on 26-12-2007 03:32

FORUM ADDICT!

My thoughts are that if you're reducing the number of players required to play a match to 5 the pick again rule should go. As the rules stand you are giving away frames if you turn up with 5 - with the new rules 5 constitutes a team. If you turn up with 4 you should rightly expect to lose frames.

www.croydonpool.com
Golden
#15 Print Post
Posted on 26-12-2007 04:51

FORUM ADDICT!

I totally agree . . The pick again rule allows teams to get away with murder and I have never been a fan of it but my thinking was to try and keep with the spirit of the game, the flexibility and relaxed attitude of the Summer League etc . .

. . if the consensus agree I'll amend the proposal . . I'm just worried that you'll get the other side of the coin thrown about in that if a team only have four they might not even turn up to a fixture knowing they're already 2-0 down . .

Sass
#16 Print Post
Posted on 27-12-2007 16:34

FORUM ADDICT!

I get where you're coming from but it's probably worth pointing out that with the existing rules they would also have been 2-0 down.

www.croydonpool.com
Golden
#17 Print Post
Posted on 27-12-2007 21:11

FORUM ADDICT!

I was looking at it form the other angle in that with the current format, with a player short you would only be 1-0 down where as with the new format you would be 2-0 down . . The reduction of the team size from 7 to 5 makes a little difference . .

. . Like I said I have never eben a fan of the pick again rule but I am worried that more fixtures would not be fulfilled if the rules were not so lenient . .

Sass
#18 Print Post
Posted on 30-12-2007 21:41

FORUM ADDICT!

What happens when a team has less than 5 in terms of the wins counting towards the individual rankings?

Also, if a team has only 4 players presumably frames 5 and 10 are awarded rather than frames 9 and 10?

www.croydonpool.com
nuttmeg
#19 Print Post
Posted on 31-12-2007 00:56
Home From Home

If these rules came in you would have to scrap the play again rule, if you can't get 5 players you don't deserve any help. Also only first game played only should count towards individuals singles.

scottish-hustler
#20 Print Post
Posted on 01-01-2008 22:24
Quite The Regular

Let's all just give up pool and take up ice skating applause

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Dino Nair
Dino Nair
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing