oddball241 weeks
Knocky245 weeks
Teach249 weeks
FoxC262 weeks
cazza267 weeks
andye267 weeks
jacko267 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Format Change Proposal
Cyber The Crucifier
Posted on 22-02-2008 22:30
Home From Home

good answer spud

the-shark
Posted on 22-02-2008 22:59

Home From Home

good thing about our team is the captain doesnt have to worry about who to drop.! as were always short.!! would be a nice problem to have tho. being 3rd in the worse turn out league does not make nice reading but in our case its unavoidable.

harry
Posted on 22-02-2008 23:03

Must Get Out More

Yeah, but you are 4th in the league, which is very good going!
Harry Time!

JugglingSpence
Posted on 22-02-2008 23:15

Home From Home

We're top of the poor turn out league!!! applauseShockne:applause

Do we get a trophy for that one?
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

Coneycueist
Posted on 22-02-2008 23:20

Home From Home

No, but you do get a badge..
www.adrianb.us/images/losers.jpg
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

JugglingSpence
Posted on 22-02-2008 23:53

Home From Home

evil laugh
As happy as a single man living above a chip shop

nuttmeg
Posted on 23-02-2008 00:03
Home From Home

I couldn't understand the attitude last night from Jeff,Pat or the bloke from the Folly, they thought we were doing it to benefit the first division, when we play lower division teams we always put out a weaker team, we are not going to play 5 players twice in the first div so we definately wont do it in the league cup or ko cup. My selfish reason for argueing for the change was I now don't have to drop anybody and teams that I like in all divisions don't have to fold.
Edited by nuttmeg on 23-02-2008 00:15

nuttmeg
Posted on 23-02-2008 00:13
Home From Home

I also couldn't understand Martin cancelling his sponsorship of the plate just because players from the first division were allowed in the plate, I can assure you the top players would not want to be in the plate, for some players in the first div they have no chance in the singles but would do well in the plate. Pram toyslame

Viper
Posted on 23-02-2008 00:22
Must Get Out More

The bottom line is, there is always going to be caution with change and people will look to find faults, as they have a right to do, and voice their concerns. My concerns as the League Secretary have been in recent years the dwindling player registrations cos as a whole the league is operating with some 120-150 players less than a few years ago. The days of the majority of teams registering the full 12 players are fast disappearing and if things had continued as they were under the same format then you would have been operating the League with 3 - 4 divisions instead of the current 5 and the odd 6 that we have enjoyed. Its my impression that with smaller squads it will open the door for more teams to come through, I don't think it will happen overnight but in three to four years you might have the situation where you are operating off 7-8 divisions and with the influx of the added funds you will then be talking about reducing the fees to a lower level. There is spin-offs with change but it has to be in place to see if it has its benefits. Te summer league will be an indication but you have to remember that it is only one season and I don't think all the concerns will be answered in a solitary season. What it will prove is whether the current trend of short fielded sides stays the same or improves.

Golden
Posted on 23-02-2008 00:26

FORUM ADDICT!

It's the constant referral to giving lower division teams a 'chance to win something' . . You have a chance to win the division you are in . . The better players win things because they're better so why on earth should allowances be made?

The plate excluded Division One players so that automatically makes the Division Two players favourites which in turn will piss off Divisions Three and below who then vote Division Two out to the point where there is 6 players allowed to enter the plate who aren't worth a rub of my little ginger cock!

Incidentally who proposed same sized trophies at the last AGM?
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 23-02-2008 00:27

Pondlife
Posted on 23-02-2008 02:05

Must Get Out More

The proposal to switch to same size trophies was submitted by Chris Wright from Waddon Wizards. Perhaps,now that we will have five-a-side teams,we might be able to afford larger ones again !! laughing

Sass
Posted on 23-02-2008 02:44

FORUM ADDICT!

Noooooooooo!!!! If I'm lucky enough to win the Summer singles again I want another smaller one as it's cheaper than buying my daughter a set of those Russian dolls . . . big grin

www.croydonpool.com
longshanks
Posted on 23-02-2008 20:14

Must Get Out More

nuttmeg wrote:
I couldn't understand the attitude last night from Jeff,Pat or the bloke from the Folly, they thought we were doing it to benefit the first division, when we play lower division teams we always put out a weaker team, we are not going to play 5 players twice in the first div so we definately wont do it in the league cup or ko cup. My selfish reason for argueing for the change was I now don't have to drop anybody and teams that I like in all divisions don't have to fold.

Yes Nuttmeg you are just a selfish so-and-so for not wanting teams to fold.

I entirely agree with your post about the plate. I don't normaly enter the singles, because I play snooker on a Monday night and because it's only best of 3, but if I did and lost in the first round I would not want to be entered into the plate. I'm sure it's only a minority but there are some members of the league who are very anti Division 1 and I think that's a great shame.

Pondlife
Posted on 24-02-2008 02:16

Must Get Out More

I don't think that there was very much anti Division One sentiment at the AGM. I still maintain that a set of rules that could enable three players to beat a ten man team are basically flawed.Welcome to Evans world of mathematical conundrums !! Most of the so called "pissing and whingeing" came from the Division One representatives who felt really aggrieved about not being allowed into the plate competitions. I felt so sorry for them that I personally voted to allow them in. Anything for a quiet life !! wall

Golden
Posted on 24-02-2008 04:47

FORUM ADDICT!

3 players can currently beat 7 so it doesn't make that much difference Pat and if getting beaten by 3 players worries you and the Pond Q's that much then the format is the least of your worries Wink

I sometimes wonder if it is the same person who posts on the website as to the one who turns up at the AGM as if you didn't pick up on any of the 'us and them' drivel from Jeff Martinez & Co. then you either weren't there or you need to get your ears syringed . .

Lils
Posted on 24-02-2008 05:37

Must Get Out More

I found it really quite funny that the main opposition for the format which made smaller teams/squad size the same chance as everyone else to compete was from people who have had trouble fielding the full seven players in the past . . .

And one person even gave the argument that they didn't like the format because "now they don't have an excuse to drop their weaker players." evil laugh

The way I see it, if as Captain you can't tell someone they're not getting a game because they don't feature in your top Ten that week, you're clearly in the wrong position and need to grow a pair of nads.

The same people pissed and moaned about World Rules being adopted, yet now we have more Croydon representatives playing for their County, two Interleague teams and the best pub team in the Nation competing in our League.

Not too bad really.

buntycollocks
Posted on 24-02-2008 06:06
Quite The Regular

does this change come in this summer ?.....or was it submitted too late and will start next year ?

coz im not getting any younger ffs.....i might not see next year

bouncing
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

Sass
Posted on 24-02-2008 06:33

FORUM ADDICT!

This Summer you old codger Smile

www.croydonpool.com
Golden
Posted on 24-02-2008 09:50

FORUM ADDICT!

Coming out of retirement Cliff?

buntycollocks
Posted on 24-02-2008 19:01
Quite The Regular

by wot ive been hearing dan the man

the prop will need me

winkgrin
I do hope Palace get relegated......then the traffic will be better when im on the bus.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Dan Mason
Dan Mason
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing