View Thread
 Print Thread
End of an era - Stephen Hendry
Nature Boy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02-05-2012 15:16

Home From Home

Hi,

As most of you are aware, Stephen Hendry announced his retirement from professional competion last night, following his defeat to Stephen Maguire 13-2.

Without a doubt, the greatest player ever to pickup a snooker cue and with the amount of things he has achived in his career, he will be soly missed and will be resepectd by his peers.

It is best to retire now while at the near of the top of the game, but I cannot see anyone getting even close to the amount of titles he has won.

Anyone would like to add their comments...

SCORCHIO12
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02-05-2012 15:29

Must Get Out More

Yeah, Average at best. fishing for a bite
Edited by SCORCHIO12 on 02-05-2012 15:30

sparks
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02-05-2012 16:30
Home From Home

Stephen Hendry was truly blessed at the hight of his career and has achieved what is said to be an unbeatable record of titles and century breaks.

You can only admire his ability and hard work which he has subjected himself to become the Greatest of all time.

LEGEND!! I predict that he will be back. Grin

andye
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02-05-2012 18:23

Home From Home

what can you say about this legend...

sad day for snooker, have been a massive fan since the start of an awesome career and lucky to have watched him on many occasions including his first win when he was 18 against Dennis Taylor in the rothmans GP

i'm pleased he went out with a 147 and thrashing the world champion and i'm sure he'll still contribute towards the game that he's changed over the years

Special K
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03-05-2012 21:10
Must Get Out More

Gr8 player n i mean awesome!!!!! But 1 question will always bug me the standard bk then was no were near as it is today!!!!!! In todays world of snooker there is so many great players bk then there 2-3 wud he have won so many titles if the standard was the same as it is now? Great player tho n i am sad to see him not playing no more!
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Spud
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03-05-2012 22:36

Home From Home

I think you've answered your own question there Dan.

Hendry was a groundbreaking pioneer in the art of agressive breakbuilding. He'd come to the table when the oppo had left it "Safe" and dished up off the lamshades. He done this for 20 years.

In the early days, there was simply no answer to his genius.

As a direct result of Hendry's greatness, every young player growing up moulded their game around the agressive breakbuilding strategy. What we have now is a field of players who learnt their craft watching Hendry in his pomp.

That's his legacy. He changed the way that everyone played snooker.

You used to be able to name 147 breakers on one hand, now everyone's at it.

History will rightfully show him the greatest ever. Only time will tell if we see his like again. I don;t see 7 World Titles ever getting beat in the current climate.

longshanks
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03-05-2012 23:27

Must Get Out More

I was never a fan of Hendry but I don't think there is any argument that he was the best of all time. Davis took the game to a new level and then Hendry took it even higher. As Spud says he was the first player to smash the reds all over the table at the first opportunity, knowing that he would clear the table. But what really set him apart was his ability under pressure. He always seemed to play his best at the most crucial time.

Rambo
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04-05-2012 07:23
Home From Home

Very sad news being a Scotsman. I grew up idolzing him and watching him left and centre. He was the reason I played Snooker then Pool.

I would have loved to see Stephen Hendry at his best ( 20 years ago ) playing now in the modern game. To see where he would end up.

He didn't live that far from me ( South Queensferry ). Played a couple of times at my local Snooker club but I was only little. During those years I have never seen him play in real life Sad and never will get a chance.

Truly a legend. worship worship trophyone trophyone trophyone trophyone trophyone trophyone trophyone World Champion

Either way hope Ronnie wins, Stand to pocket alot of money lol!
Edited by Rambo on 04-05-2012 07:31

jacko
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06-05-2012 16:59
Must Get Out More

very sad news bein a scotsman drunk .....ada miserable arse boat but like most sports the bar gets higher n higher n hendry helped snooker raise its bar,gr8 player proper legend but only won 7 titles,i remember those days getting pass 7 is tough butter wouldn't melt ...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Emma Cunningham
Emma Cunningham
24hr Charity Pool Marathon 2006
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing