oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
propositions for division 1 next winter
andye
#41 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 18:21

Home From Home

re toss, 2 scenarios there, flip the coin then write out your team or fill out the card and then flip...
i personally think you flip then chose your batting order as this adds another tactic to the night, likewise you don't want to have to put your whole team down before the toss!

Foxy
#42 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 19:48

Quite The Regular

As I've previously stated, I have proposed bringing the coin toss in to the league at the AGM before and if I remember correctly there was not one vote for it!!! If someone else wants to have a go then you've definitely got my vote.

The sad thing reading this forum is that the people asking for changes to the league format are the ones that never turn up to AGMs.

Neil you want to bring in 15 frames...if you want it so bad why don't you propose it and actually turn up to a meeting? I don't actually think I have ever seen you turn up at one! The AGM is there for teams to have their say via their secretarys, it's no good saying you want this and that to change without actually putting it in writing and being at the meeting to back up your proposal.
Come On The Farley Spuds!!!

Big Ben Ten
#43 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 20:03

Home From Home

write the card then lag? you can still win the lag and hand the first break over.
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
Spud
#44 Print Post
Posted on 05-07-2013 20:23

Home From Home

Keeping it simple...

I am secretary for The Eagles, and on this thread alone, you have Shaggy and Wiggy anti 15 frames, and Met pro 15 frames.
So even just looking inside our own team I can see opinions for and against, to the point where I'm not even sure how The Eagles would vote, as I'd have to canvas the rest of the guys and give a fair refelction of our team.

With that in mind.... It's fair to say it will split opinions all over the league, regardless of ability, dedication and league status.

There are very good reasons for and against the change, but while both arguments almost cancel eachother out, then the status quo will remain. I'm personally sat well on the fence for this one. Some excellent points made for 15, and some excellent reasons to stay as we are.

What is conclusive from talking to people and readin on here is to sort the coin toss out.
As the Redhill League do, and also Interleague, the Away team breaks first, and all subsequent odd frames there after, with the home team breaking evens.
Pick your teams accordingly.
Away team gets one more break than the home side.

With Cup games at neutral venues, toss a coin to decide who's the designated home team.

Lagging I am very much opposed to.... Might look good on the 9 Ball tables on the telly, but 8 ball tables are not built to have 2 people take a shot from the same baulk end, especially people with salad dodging tendancies like myself.

Say "No" to Lagging.

Metin250
#45 Print Post
Posted on 06-07-2013 17:31
Home From Home

The coin toss rule change needs to happen and im certain one of the eagles will attend to help with the vote.
As for the 15 frame rule i actually dont mind it either way i just like that there is more pool.
If you do it for one league i think you have to change it for the entire divisions!
I actually prefered the 10 game league of old to the now 11 as i thought draws were quite nice to have, there doesnt always have to be a winnerin a league game, its very yank like !!! as is lagging on an 8 ball table- im with kelly on that.

YNWA

mayweatherbrindle
#46 Print Post
Posted on 06-07-2013 18:14
Home From Home

Andy i wasnt implying u dnt practice mate
Im croydons no 1....even when i lose i win-NEIL HALL
trophyone

jacko
#47 Print Post
Posted on 06-07-2013 20:53
Must Get Out More

actually andy I fancy the 2nd frame stat would b good to decide matters but only in the 2nd half ov the season as it would not b fair on guys who only play 1frame but cum the halfway point ov the season im sure there captain wil giv them a 2nd frame as there stats wil obviously b good enuf to av earnt it,then if stil tied ud av2 count all 2nd frames I guess...we play twice most weeks so we would ava big advantage if there woza tie...tbh thinking bout it personally im happy with the current 11frame format as i play 2 or 3 frames n fck if i want the hassle ov timing but for many ov u guys who rarely geta 2nd frame surely it wil b better for u to up it to 15...alternate breaks a must n league cup ranking points need to be adjusted to the average ov the 4 divisions which may b 4 / 4.5 dono to reflect how ard it is to win that frame,the current 5points is ridiculas asa div1 win is 5.25 which is much much harder to achieve butter wouldn't melt ...

Bink286
#48 Print Post
Posted on 07-07-2013 07:22
Getting The Hang Of It

neil wrote:
hi guysthumb I know im a painhugs, so will keep it short,but I was wondering if anyone in this division next winter wanted to extend it to 15 games, please let me know your thoughts as we got till next month by the 16th august,to put it through to the league secretary, and want to know if we just had it for the top 2 divisions or just the 1st, as I know a few of you didn't want the change, but its upto you guys, but I want more frames next winter as 11 is not enough, let us know your thoughts as we need a seconder, cheers guys handshake

Hi Neil.

I've heard such proposition before, and the biggest issues for me, that might stop it from being voted through are:-

1. Lower league team games tend to take longer so there will not be support for such a structure from those of us who have played past midnight under the current structure.

2. Some venues have kicking out times and may not have the flexibility to accommodate extra frames, and newer teams interested in joining the CPL should be able to participate at a 'joiner level' that isn't perceived as a 'barrier to their entry'.

So, if this proposition is to gain universal accord, I'd suggest the following:-

A) The proposed 15 game format in the league is only applicable to Div 1, with a 13 game format in Div 2, an 11 game format in Div 3 and a 9 game format in Div IV or lower. Rules concerning minimum players per fixture should reflect these amendments with teams being required to field the minimum number of players per fixture capable of winning the fixture if every game were to be won by the minimum player turn-up (2 player in IV, 3 player in III, 3 player in II and 4 player in I - assuming the format remains the same being two halves (sorry about this Two Half's) and a deciding final game).

If you are thinking of amending it to a 3 set with just a 5 player fixture list, of course this won't work too well, as for my thinking on consistency we'd need Div I teams to field 7 players for 7 games in each 'half' before playing the decider (with 6 in II, 5 in III and 4 in IV). I think we'd need a secondary resolution if you were thinking of amending it to a 3x5 format.

B ) If any league fixture reaches 11:30pm without completion of their scheduled games, that a coin toss should be permitted to decide any remaining yet to be completed frames at the request of either secretary.

C) Team KO cup & League cup fixtures to be played to an 11 game format, until the latter stages.

If such a compromised proposition were to be put through, I think the lower league team secretaries could accept it.
Edited by Bink286 on 07-07-2013 08:02

Special K
#49 Print Post
Posted on 07-07-2013 15:51
Must Get Out More

No disrespect to your thread blink but why do u make potting 7 yellows or reds and a black ball on small table sound so hard? People sign up on a Tuesday to play the game so lets play it 15 frames all the way come on lads!
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Knocky
#50 Print Post
Posted on 07-07-2013 20:31
Must Get Out More

toss of a coin (lol)if still going after 11.30 pm
you cant be serious.
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

andye
#51 Print Post
Posted on 08-07-2013 21:10

Home From Home

Lol I read through all that what seemed to be a sensible post regarding less frames per division the got to that bit a bout a coin toss'
Good luck with that proposal!

If people do want more frames then why not 14 (2x7)
We used to play 7 frames so it would be doubling that
You can get a draw which is sometimes a fair result but also that's the way it's played in Yarmouth in the finals!

Statto
#52 Print Post
Posted on 10-07-2013 06:29

Home From Home

There has been a lot of opinion put forward, and with good reasoning behind it. I am not going to say anyone is right or wrong, because this is a debate, and it is all about opinion.

My observations are:

I understand that higher divisions want more frames, because this brings it in to line with other leagues and representative level. However, they are higher division because they have greater skill, and will finish matches quicker by needing fewer visits to the table.

Enforcing a shot clock to speed things up will not make a great deal of difference if there is no attacking pool being played. A fudge fest will require a far greater number of shots to be played, and it is the number of shots that affects the time a frame takes more than the time each shot takes.

As mentioned before, venues control the "end time" of an evening, and those teams that play from social clubs are far more likely to have an end time enforced upon them.

Any change that occurs would be put across all divisions. Mark Halsey would have a logistical nightmare trying to deal with different formats for each division, not to mention the adjustment promoted and relegated teams would have to make (and that is almost half of every division!).

There are many teams that have players who work late/come from London/work shifts/drive for a living. Bringing the start time forward would make it even harder for them to attend and potentially cost the league players.

Like most others on this thread, I (and many of my team) would enjoy playing more frames each Tuesday - on an individual level - but practicality factors being as they are, I doubt that a proposal to have 15 frames a night would get passed - not least because AGM turnouts are now approximately 35% of the available teams, when it used to be double that.

I am not trying to piss on anyone's parade...the league has adapted over the years - just think about how the world rules came in, and also that the playing distance has been increased over the last few years - but I feel that 15 frames is a step too far at the present time.

Just my opinion - no need to shoot me for it!!!

beardy
#53 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 14:59
Quite The Regular

My opinion

Over the last few seasons i have seen formation of "super teams" being formed, whereby very good players seem to be all joining one or two teams especially in division two. These teams then walk away with the league. I believe 15 frames is now being promoted to keep all those good players happy. If you are a good player you want more than 1 frame a night but if you have 8 very good players its a struggle to do that.

Already we are seeing teams disbanding and we are losing divisons.

The interests of the league needs to be put first and i believe increasing the number of frames will lead to a smaller league, better players with all be it a better quality of pool being played.
However
Question is will CPL then become a closed shop which ultimately discourages new players or teams?
Will that ultimately cut CPL off from its roots The Croydon social club or local pub?
If this is adopted careful consideration on encouraging new teams should be discussed as well.

SCORCHIO12
#54 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 16:37

Must Get Out More

quite simple really.

lower div teams that are moaning about more frames being played and teams that struggle with 4 players some weeks all you need to do is this:

Have 12 frames on a Tuesday so its only 1 additional frame but have 3 sets of 4. therefore teams that can only field a team of four and not 5 like it is now will not be losing a frames per set.

Also it adds an extra frame to the night. Shot clock for all games.

Problem solved...

simples!

Big Ben Ten
#55 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 18:27

Home From Home

it will solve the problem of not having enough but will create a problem of strong teams not needing depth if they go with four strong players.
LangleySports

ben_jamin_is@hotmail.com
Triple C
#56 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 22:12

Home From Home

You could apply a rule to that format that a player cannot play more than 2 sets

Nature Boy
#57 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 22:39

Home From Home

DAS IS GOODPfftPfft
Its been emotional

Shaggy
#58 Print Post
Posted on 12-07-2013 23:00
Must Get Out More

What an attractive proposition for pubs and clubs. As if pool players dont demand enough, when a team pops out for a nights refreshment, there will only be 8 people to serve.

7 man team, 5 man team, now 4 man team! Wank... Might as well just have a doubles league and close down the team league.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metin250
#59 Print Post
Posted on 13-07-2013 01:32
Home From Home

Agree with shaggy, 4 man team is laughable.
Either change to 15 or leave as it is but no change to anything else.

YNWA

No1 Nugget
#60 Print Post
Posted on 13-07-2013 06:59
Must Get Out More

A lot of different opinions from some of the top boys bow
How about 14 games across all divisions and that way we get to play 3 more games thumband I know it sounds stupid but we should bring back draws as some times that is a fair result.
As some teams may have lost 6 v 5 and feel a draw would of been fairer,
Division 2 winter league champs trophyone
division 3 and 2 summer league runner up,trophytwo
division 3 champs trophyone
division 4 summer champstrophyone
division 5 winnerstrophyone
division 5,4,3 divisional singles winner trophyone
division 5,4 secretary winnertrophyone

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Dan Mason
Dan Mason
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing