oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Fancy Playing 1st Division??
AndyT
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12-03-2008 20:31
Quite The Regular

With the Summer League approaching, and the deadline for registration only a couple of weeks away, it seems like the appropriate time to start recruiting...

The Surrey 193's will be playing in the 1st division in the fourthcoming Summer League, we are however losing a couple of players, Andy Shaw is going to sit the summer out and Len Gillam is off to Penge to ply his trade with some of the Penge 'Old Boys'.

That leaves the team as follows:

Andy Telford
Karl Rous
Dave Gerlach
Marlow Renton
Billy Burton
John Walton (new signing)

So - we are ideally looking for two or three more to join the squad.

Are you currently in division 2 or 3 - and fancy a season playing against the elite of the CDPL??

Or maybe you already play in division 1 and just fancy a change?

If so, let me know - either via this thread or PM me.

Cheers - Andy.8 ball

PS - We will also consider a change of venue for the summer, just in case you don't have 4' cues!laugh

AndyT
#2 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 00:25
Quite The Regular

No one interested? sigh

Obviously no one worthy enough in Div 2 or below to play in the

1st bow

Might just forget this recruitment drive then!surrender
Edited by AndyT on 18-03-2008 22:22

Brooker
#3 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 01:40
Home From Home

Or maybe people in the lower divisions want to play 1st division pool by getting promoted with the team they currently play for.

I would rather be playing 1st div pool this year, but i am more than happy to stay with my current team & try to get promoted back to the 1st with them.

It seems a lot of 1st div teams are struggling for players this year, as yet i have not seen a team turn up short against us in the 2nd yet this season. (except us, ha ha)
I would rather be playing golf

Billy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 02:22

Quite The Regular

AndyT wrote:
No one interested? sigh

Obviously no one worthy enough in Div 2 or below to play in the

1st bow

Might just forget this recruitment rive then!surrender

Id say there was plenty of players worthy enough in the lower divisions, certainly in Div 4 which i play in, that would be able to hold their own in the higher divisions inc Div 1. Obviously there are quite a few outstanding players in Div 1, but i wouldnt say the gulf between the majority of Div 1 players and the bulk of the players in the rest of the league is that great.

As has been said, i think most players will stay with their teams because they are playing with their mates, have a sense of loyalty, and want the challenge of trying to get promoted with their current team.

Pondlife
#5 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 03:16

Must Get Out More

Well said Billy And Chris !! Thank God that there are still lots of players who enjoy the social side of pool evenings with their friends. Pot hunters are becoming very rare,which is probably why we have been reduced to playing five a side teams. laughing laughing

AndyT
#6 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 22:31
Quite The Regular

Gentlemen - The Surrey 193's were originally a 1st/2nd division side, we were relegated to the 6th in the Summer League due to an opposing team calling a no-show on us one night when many of us were away on holiday.

Since then we have been top 2 placed every summer and subsequently been promoted each time, however, we are losing a couple of players, who without leaves us struggling as a bonafide 1st division side - hence the need to recruit.

It is often the case that some teams only play in the Winter League and sit the summer out, or teams merge for the summer - these are the players I had hoped might be interested in something different for the summer.

No offence was meant to anyone in the lower divisions - but at least my post got a reply - just not the one I was hoping for! winking

Brooker
#7 Print Post
Posted on 18-03-2008 23:58
Home From Home

Yeah, sorry mate. reading my post again does sound like a bit of a rant, it wasn't meant to be. I just think people are settled in their own teams & are happy to stay there regardless of the division they are in.

For some reason the 1st division teams seem to be struggling for players of late. I think the standard in the 1st is very high & finding someone who knows the rules well & is of a good enough standard to win games in the 1st isn't as easy as it used to be.

The 2 x 5 rule for the Summer league will be a big relief for a lot of teams i think, & i would not be surprised to see it extended to the Winter league in the near future.
I would rather be playing golf

AndyT
#8 Print Post
Posted on 20-03-2008 23:14
Quite The Regular

Come on fella's - there must be someone out there that wants to play in the summer??

violin

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Paul Saxton
Paul Saxton
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing