oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Games at Rileys on Imperial way
Bink286
#1 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 17:25
Getting The Hang Of It

Given that Rileys has 16 tables in a location that is the rusty sheriff's badge end of nowhere, even by Croydon standards, wouldn't it make sense that for games being played there (especially under the summer 10 games rules with 3 extra games being given a 15 minutes earlier start time and no enforcement of the one minute rule) to play utilising two tables at a time, whenever there are free tables not already being used for games?

So far the only arguments I can see for not doing this are:-

1) Goodfellas might have to invest in a second spotted cue ball.
2) Rileys might sell less drinks to away teams that manage to go home a bit earlier.
3) It may prevent (home-based) players from warming up/practising on an empty table which would then be being used for a game.
4) Twice as many referees would be needed, and a referee might delay a new game starting by refusing to stop refereeing the game s/he is refereeing and letting someone else take over.
5) When all the tables are being used in can be a bit congested, and some games are delayed waiting for other players to play a shot on another table, which makes enforcing the one minute rule impossible (not that it is being at the moment anyway).

Spud
#2 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 17:31

Home From Home

If a game was really dragging, i.e. still on frame 5 or 6 at 11 O'Clock, then yes, by all means use a second table.

I'm sure most games will be finished before then in any case, so no need.

As for being in the @rse end of nowhere, seeing as though this is the Croydon and District pool league, it's a hell of a lot closer than some venues. . . . . (If we use central Croydon as base).

Bink286
#3 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 18:26
Getting The Hang Of It

Spud wrote:
If a game was really dragging, i.e. still on frame 5 or 6 at 11 O'Clock, then yes, by all means use a second table.

Umm.

Yeah.

I'm more thinking the last game (secretary's) finishing absolute latest 10:15 would be a big improvement. Of course if Imperial Way is the sort of place you want to stay at for as long as possible, then OK, but finding ways to speed the game up if it is dragging by 11:00 doesn't really explain why we cannot simply use all available tables from the start.

I'm sure most games will be finished before then in any case, so no need.

See, this means that the assumption is that everyone should come and stay until 11-ish.

Why can't we instead work with the assumption that visitors would appreciate being able to leave as early as humanly possible, and that the objective should be to try and facilitate this wherever humanly possible?

As for being in the @rse end of nowhere, seeing as though this is the Croydon and District pool league, it's a hell of a lot closer than some venues. . . . . (If we use central Croydon as base).

I wouldn't disagree with the point you make about relative distances.

Or the emboldened bit.

Coneycueist
#4 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 18:27

Home From Home

[quote]Bink286 wrote:

laughing
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

Fat-Dart
#5 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 18:46

FORUM ADDICT!

Bink286 wrote:
laughing[/quote]

We already have 2, so no need to worry there.

winkgrin

Cyber The Crucifier
#6 Print Post
Posted on 23-06-2008 19:59
Home From Home

I cant believe u r still taking about the soding cue ball
cant people talk about something else
laughinglaughinglaughinglaughing

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Gary Swettenham
Gary Swettenham
Croydon Interleague (Current)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing