jacko266 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
New Poll - 08/09 Winter Format
Shambolic
#21 Print Post
Posted on 06-09-2008 03:09
Getting The Hang Of It

i voted 4 2x5 an i no my team want it in the winter (legion)band playingband playingband playingdrunk

Golden
#22 Print Post
Posted on 09-09-2008 03:23

FORUM ADDICT!

8pm on Thursday . . Skeen . .
No Armani No Punani!

jonny p
#23 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 07:15
Quite The Regular

I just voted for 7 frames and 98% sure of voting for it on thursday, i;ve tried to look at all the angles, all the pro's and con's and in the end i've looked as it as this- we as secretarys should not be voting on this for a personel basis but to a better cause as in the league itself,there's been alot of changes in the last couple of years to our pool league, alot beneficiary to the player that want's to get on and improve his or her carear in pool played, from a personel point of view it's given people opportunities whov'e wanted it but the fact i feel is that were trying to do an asolf bolton (probably the wrong spelling), we know that we've got the 200 metre's and we're going to destroy the 100 and that's great but as a pool league we're not world class yet... i feel that we need to do another season of 7 frames, the fact is most people feel the winter league is the one to win, the one you put all your effort in to win,, it's the big one,,,,the games will get more intense and longer, the times finishing at night will be later than the summer league (I'm looking throughout the league) and as a league we should be looking at this. I would like to see one day soon the format of 10 frames or more, I will propose at least the inclusion of a 60 second rule next summer with the 10 frames of some format and then take what we've learn't from that into the winter and hopefully try it out next winter and promote our league but I feel if we junp to fast with this, the league's going to lose out as a whole, and now as i'm running out of strongbow in my bloodstream i'm going to bed...luck

Spudangles
#24 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 07:29
Home From Home

Asolf Bolton lol You should not be voting on anything thats for sure!

2 sets of 5 for me btw

miq
#25 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 17:13

Home From Home

Jp you should steer clear of alcohol, not only are you damaging you unborn baby your also removing brain cells you clearly need.

EmDee
#26 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 19:11

Home From Home

Whilst he is clearly smoking crack, I think the Profiterole (probably accidentally) makes a good point. I agree with the inclusion of the one minute rule where 10 frames are played, thing is we should probably trial it first to make sure it will work - so maybe stay with the original 7 game format this winter and trial the current 10 frame format with 1 min rule next summer?
Interesting...

http://www.joincrash.com
Knocky
#27 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 19:20
Must Get Out More

take a stepbackwards if we go back to the7 frame format,keep it at 2x5 please with or without the1 min rule.
its been along time that anyone apart from the eagles,prop or the hotshots have had a chance to win the league so if the unpreditables have a chance with this format then so will more teams be in with a shout.should be a good season.thumb
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

longshanks
#28 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 20:08

Must Get Out More

Although I want 2x5 I am in a minority of one in our team so will reluctantly be voting for 7 at the AGM.

andye
#29 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 21:23

Home From Home

knocky wrote:
take a stepbackwards if we go back to the7 frame format,keep it at 2x5 please with or without the1 min rule.
its been along time that anyone apart from the eagles,prop or the hotshots have had a chance to win the league so if the unpreditables have a chance with this format then so will more teams be in with a shout.should be a good season.thumb

knocky, your mistaking the summer league with the winter i think...
if last season there were 10 frames the eagles and hotshots would have walked it easier than they did...
we lost games to lesser teams which is much less likely over a bigger distance.
next season will be a lot closer as the lesser teams have got stronger and the top teams have been weakened, regardless of a 7 or 10 frame format

JamieMc
#30 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 21:53

Quite The Regular

It has to be 2x5 for the Big Spuds as without it we will sadly fold, due to us only having 6 players for the new season.

Spudangles
#31 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 22:03
Home From Home

How hard is it for teams to buy a stopwatch and play the minute rule?

ThePower
#32 Print Post
Posted on 10-09-2008 23:33

Must Get Out More

longshanks wrote:
Although I want 2x5 I am in a minority of one in our team so will reluctantly be voting for 7 at the AGM.

Has to be one of the strangest things Longshanks has ever said! Especially as this is coming from a team that has a history of bearly being able to muster 5 each week, how on earth is sticking with a 7 frame format going to suit you guys?

Wake up everyone and smell the coffee. Tomorrow night's AGM is an important one for this league. 7 frame format is not an option.
Edited by ThePower on 10-09-2008 23:34

Spudangles
#33 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 00:21
Home From Home

Introduce the 60 second rule and use it, i've only come across 1 player in 9 years of playing world rules that doesnt like it. (wiggy) Mentioning no names. (wiggy) All this using the stopwatch if you need to is bollox, just use the bloody thing and watch the games flow better. (wiggy)

Golden
#34 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 00:22

FORUM ADDICT!

laughing
No Armani No Punani!

ThePower
#35 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 05:10

Must Get Out More

Timing should be introduced. We need to keep moving forward.

Shots in the Croydon League are being played within 1 minute. Everyone keeps saying so. So let me ask then, why would there be a big problem with the watch being used?

I think teams are confusing the need for timing with actual match finishing times in a 2 x 5 format. Basically matches dragging on late argument is bollocks, mainly made up. 1. Matches are not starting on time. Not once this season has an away side turned up before 8.15pm to start a match at the Farley. 2. As a result matches do not kick off until on average 8.40pm (which is the usual time for a 7 frame format).
3. Teams seem to think two sets of 5 means there should be a 15 minute plus mid session break between sets.

Most of the leagues in the UK have adopted World Rules FULLY for years and are now easily playing 3 SETS OF 5.

And you numpties want to go back to the dark ages and play best of 7?

The difference is the other leagues are united in their love for pool, and the opportunity to have a night out, play loads of competitive frames. So what is so frightening about that? Why does this league continue to find wrong in everything that is good for it?

I've personally given so much for my team over the years and if you love your pool, and the Croydon league then we need to keep up with the times. Change is healthy.

Shaggy
#36 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 08:12
Must Get Out More

I am sort of defending (Wiggy) on this in that he has always said the rules should be, take as much time as you like on the first look at the table and a minute per shot thereafter.

There are loads of players that take forever on every shot and they are the targets. Still havent got in a game in world rules that has gone past 10.30 to be honest.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longshanks
#37 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 15:33

Must Get Out More

ThePower wrote:
longshanks wrote:

Has to be one of the strangest things Longshanks has ever said! Especially as this is coming from a team that has a history of bearly being able to muster 5 each week, how on earth is sticking with a 7 frame format going to suit you guys?

Wake up everyone and smell the coffee. Tomorrow night's AGM is an important one for this league. 7 frame format is not an option.

My sentiments entirely, a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.

I think their reasoning is because of a few late finishes we've had in the summer. I agree with Alex that the 8.15 start has been overlooked but I can see the stopwatch causing a lot of arguments.
Edited by longshanks on 11-09-2008 15:47

andye
#38 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 16:29

Home From Home

Spudangles wrote:
Introduce the 60 second rule and use it, i've only come across 1 player in 9 years of playing world rules that doesnt like it. (wiggy) Mentioning no names. (wiggy) All this using the stopwatch if you need to is bollox, just use the bloody thing and watch the games flow better. (wiggy)

my argument is only that some shots need a bit of time...
as shaggy said it's the people who take ages for a tap in waiting for their nerves to settle who cause the problems...

most people like the format but note the lateness it can cause... so start @ 8 and if your not on a certain frame by a certain time then out come the stopwatches (which everyone has on their phone)

spudangles... i have no problem with you timing me but i will ask you to clean the white and all the other balls every shot...!!! lol

Spudangles
#39 Print Post
Posted on 11-09-2008 20:54
Home From Home

Ha!

Golden
#40 Print Post
Posted on 12-09-2008 00:03

FORUM ADDICT!

Spot On! (I'm going to print this and put it on the wall to show that Fieldsy does speak sense sometimes)

The new format has showed that it helps teams who are short of players, gives more pool per match should you wish and something that we didn't bargain for it's also opened things up somewhat as can be seen with the Unpredictables at the top of the league . .

The main complaint so far has been the time issue . . If you have players who need to leave early then put them on early for a frame and they can leave . . If you have players who are going to be late, stick them on for a frame towards the end of the match . . BUT if you have a player that wants to play two frames but needs to leave early, wants to regularly be in by 10pm or is going to be late then TOUGH SHIT as clearly they have more important things on than playing pool so they can't have it all and the majority shouldn't be made to suffer as a result of it.

And as for 'reasons' like "Ooh our matches are going on until 11pm" perhaps you should put the cue away and get out some crochet needles as when you are done you can tuck yourself in with a good book in while the majority are out playing pool.

I'm off to register CroydonCrochet.com . . Toodle Pip!
Edited by TheSaxtonator on 12-09-2008 00:06
No Armani No Punani!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Team Photo
Team Photo
Croydon Interleague (Past)
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing