jacko266 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Rearranging Matches
hannahfish
#1 Print Post
Posted on 21-10-2008 00:27

Quite The Regular

Can I ask that all players who are rearranging matches have the courtesy to let me know.

I designate tables to the matches that i am aware off and am getting tired of people turning up unexpectedly or not at all.

In future if you rearrange a match either to a day which i am unaware of or turn up on a match night a table will not be guaranteed.

Thanks

Sass
#2 Print Post
Posted on 21-10-2008 04:00

FORUM ADDICT!

Sorry I'm guilty on that one. Harry and Ian asked to re-arrange their game with Sarah and Sue and I mistakenly thought they were the home team. I will let you know once a date has been set to play it.

www.croydonpool.com
hannahfish
#3 Print Post
Posted on 21-10-2008 06:25

Quite The Regular

Thanks Sass I understand people need to rearrange but i need to know so that i can pre book the tables for them if im not there and also so that home tables are made available.

Knocky
#4 Print Post
Posted on 21-10-2008 12:00
Must Get Out More

sorry,forgot to let you know that my doubles match is now on wednesday,due to work commitmentsSad
hope thats okthumb
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

EmDee
#5 Print Post
Posted on 21-10-2008 18:52

Home From Home

Every time I have a match it gets postponed! Usually at around 6pm on the day it's meant to be played...

Winds me up because I hafta drive to Epsom from Wallington and then over to Croydon. Thing is I'm too nice to claim them. butter wouldn't melt ...

You never know, they may actually have a valid reason... fishing for a bite

http://www.joincrash.com
Sting
#6 Print Post
Posted on 22-10-2008 05:59
Quite The Regular

I am very dissapointed with the conduct of the doubles pair we were due to play. We spoke to them at our place last week and explained that Alex has a 3 hour round trip and so we would like to re-arrange or play on a tues before our normal matches. We also tried to play the game after our tuesday match last week but one of them had already left.

Having explained this and them agreeing they were happy to rearrangee obviously at their convenience we have now been told via their secretary on the day of the doubles matches that they can now no longer play at any other time in the next 2 weeks. This is really poor given it is a 1st round match and means that a div 1 doubles team will be out and no chance in the plate either as they will try and claim a walkover.

I thought there was supposed to be sportmanship above all else in our game. Why claim a 1st round match when you had already agreed to try and rearrange? Really poor in my mind especially as it kills our chances in things like the overall rankings as you really need to be in all comps to get a good score.
mark

We are hoping that Mark Halsey can help and resolve this amicably as this may set a precedent of people agreeing to rearrange matches and then changing their minds giving you no chance.

Brooker
#7 Print Post
Posted on 22-10-2008 06:53
Home From Home

Or don't enter a Monday night competiton if you struggle to make Mondays.

I get your point about it having been agreed to be played on another night & agree with you on that point, but you post suggests that Alex is going to struggle to make any Monday because of the long trip he has to make, so are you going to expect every pair to re-arrange to another night to accomodate you, or was this just a one off.

I personally do not play pool other than Monday & Tuesday. I never get to a match on either night before 8 because thats the earliest i can get there, so could not play before a match on a Tuesay night & really wouldn't wanna hang around till after midnight playing it afterwards.

I only make this point because it seems to have become "expected" for matches to be re-arranged now, rather than "requested" & happens frequently rather than rarely.

I fully respect that this isn't the situation in this case, this is just another point in relation to re-arranged mtches. It used to be "I/we can't make the match, you can have it" & then the opponents would offer to play another night, but now too often its a case of "I can't make the match & want to re-arrange it". The opponent then feels obliged to re-arrange the mach, even if it isn't convenient for them to do so.

This isn't a dig at you Alex/Sting, i fully appreciate your situation in this scenario is differnt to what i have posted above, so please do not start one of those you/me threads you used to have with the Coney that go on for 8 weeks. (That was a dig though).

I would rather be playing golf

ThePower
#8 Print Post
Posted on 22-10-2008 17:15

Must Get Out More

The point is, they agreed to accomodate a rearrangement and we made a number of proposals. As we were all in the Farley they agreed to then reverse the fixture & play the game at the Farley but then disappeared! Now when you speak to their secretary it appears they all are suffering from memory loss & deny that any conversation ever took place!

In the past, everyone has kindly gone out of their way to reschedule a singles/doubles fixture for me knowing my situation re travelling. If it's not convenient to my opponent/s then I have in the past just given them the game.

MH has the call now, so will stand by his decision.

And Chris, the only reason our debates dragged on with the Coney Poo's was because of their gayity.
Edited by ThePower on 22-10-2008 17:22

Teach
#9 Print Post
Posted on 22-10-2008 17:50

Home From Home

How about this one:

Our two players were travelling over to the Folly, and we knew by 6.00pm that we were going to arrive late (unavoidable problems at work). We eventually arrived at 8.40pm to find the two players from the Folly had already gone home! We had spent the previous two and a half hours trying to contact them to say that we were running late, but kept getting that the given number was not accepting incoming calls.

So we looked at the secretary list and found that he was using the same number as the venue itself. (Apparently the pub had been taken over the previous week, and the number had changed - nobody had thought to let Mark know!

So we arrive late, leave a message with a fellow pool team member who was there for the night to relay to them, and find that the next day they are claiming a win!

Shaggy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 22-10-2008 18:24
Must Get Out More

Its very rare that people who actually have a chance of winning something claim matches. Its always the doughnuts that have a hard on seeing their name(s) in round two.

If anyone has claimed a game then they should take up a different sport. You play in the league to play people!
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmDee
#11 Print Post
Posted on 23-10-2008 00:15

Home From Home

Shaggy wrote:
Its very rare that people who actually have a chance of winning something claim matches. Its always the doughnuts that have a hard on seeing their name(s) in round two.

If anyone has claimed a game then they should take up a different sport. You play in the league to play people!

Whilst this is true, it is that mentality that is making my life miserable as I am having to oblige other people by playing my games when it is convenient for them - all because I would feel like a dick for claiming it.

I do agree with what you say and I have never claimed a win, but it is starting to get on my nerves when two weeks in a row I have to reschedule - without notice - on the day of the match. This week I was actually standing by my car with my jacket on, google map printed, keys in hand when I got the call from my secretary.

I am always, without fail available on the day the match is meant to be played in the first place. Why isn't anyone else?

Please do not make it a crime to claim a match, it's up to the person cancelling to at least give a day's notice unless they have a damn good reason.

okay, rant over

I hate dicks who claim matches - why would you want to "win" a game you didnt play - its basically cheating!

http://www.joincrash.com
Knocky
#12 Print Post
Posted on 27-10-2008 23:38
Must Get Out More

my singles game with rob gater is now being played this friday at 7 30.thumb
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Rob Cogar
Rob Cogar
2008 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing