oddball243 weeks
Knocky248 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
Drillers - The End of an Era
Coneycueist
#61 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 01:31

Home From Home

What happens if a team disbands mid season, can their players move elsewhere in the same season?
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

Lils
#62 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 01:53

Must Get Out More

See, now I didn't think they could, as then it's just easy for people to disband a team with no penalty . . . I'm sure Deutch will confirm.

ThePower
#63 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 03:01

Must Get Out More

And we are due to play the Drillers on Tuesday so some advance warning would be appreciated because if I don't fancy travelling 120 miles for a no show to happen.

The_Saxtonator
#64 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 08:22

Super Admin

I am pretty sure that when Graeme Witt ran a team in last years summer season which folded, he was not allowed to join another team, I presume this is the same situation now
Edited by The_Saxtonator on 10-11-2007 08:22

www.saxtonenterprises.com
harry
#65 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 16:49

Must Get Out More

There are ways around everything.

For example, if the team is going to fold and some players want to continue to play (Rainsey for example). They simply de-register beforehand, then give me (ahem) give another team a ring.....Sorted!
Edited by harry on 10-11-2007 16:50
Harry Time!

Viper
#66 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 17:18
Must Get Out More

Their is no rule that covers the eligibility of players playing for other teams if their original team folds .... Personally, I think that if a team folds then all registered players from that team should not be eligible to play for other teams within tjat season ... sorry Harry, but as I said it is a personal opinion.

Coneycueist
#67 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 17:22

Home From Home

I don't think you would need Columbo on the case to realize what you were doing though Harry lol

Personally however I wouldn't have a problem with the commited element of the drillers finding another team in the same season. It's only a pub league after all and seems a little harsh to punish people twice for unreliable team mates.

Viper
#68 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 17:23
Must Get Out More

Hold the front page a minute .... Item 8 of the Constitution states that a player cannot transfer to another team if his/her original team has been suspended ...... What is the difference between a suspended team and a withdrawn team other than the obvious ???

Viper
#69 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 17:24
Must Get Out More

Coneycueist wrote:
I don't think you would need Columbo on the case to realize what you were doing though Harry lol

Personally however I wouldn't have a problem with the commited element of the drillers finding another team in the same season. It's only a pub league after all and seems a little harsh to punish people twice for unreliable team mates.

That is also a fair comment

MavisDavis
#70 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 18:37
Quite The Regular

I'd feel sorry for the committed players in the Drillers team but it would start a worrying precedent of they were allowed to join members of another team after dropping out. It is too easy a way out and doesn't encourage teams to make sure they are going to be in it for the long haul. I'm sure Berty would agree, that at the start of every season we look at how many players we have and how many of those we can count on week in week out. The Drillers know which of their players are unreliable and none of us are surprised that these rumours are happening again and seem to have happened every year. I agree with Deutsch that a team dropping out is the same as a team being suspended...

harry
#71 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 19:04

Must Get Out More

The point I am trying to make is, some of the Drillers want to play pool. It isn't their fault that some of the other players have let them down.

We only have 7 players this season, last week only 6 turned up because 1 was working.

I tried my hardest to get extra players for this season, I even begged on the other site.

It wasn't my fault a couple of my players from last season were taken from me crying

I'm not blaming the players who left me, it's up to them. Im simply saying, if my team are struggling for players, why not let the commited players join another team struggling for players?

Besides, the more players I have signed up, the more players the Prop have to choose from to poach off me Smile

Harry Time!

Coneycueist
#72 Print Post
Posted on 10-11-2007 20:23

Home From Home

I see your point Harry but the two players you lost last season were relatively new recruits but nonetheless highly regarded players, who were always going to be vulnerable when a 'bigger' or 'more prestigiously regarded' side came in for them. it is a short term fix getting players like that and does not necessarily solve the long term problem. A couple of Drillers are likely to help keep you up, but how likely are they to be with you next season?

Do an eden mate and try to get a lower division or new player (easier said than done I know but possible) who you can groom into your team ethic. These players will be more grateful for the opportunity and be more likely to be loyal in the future. If you keep replacing 'big named' people each year you run the risk of unsettling your regulars and upsetting the team spirit that has been a big part of your success to date.

Just one point of view though. As I said earlier shotgun Mick Samuel. big grin

harry
#73 Print Post
Posted on 11-11-2007 17:09

Must Get Out More

Mark Miller has been playing for my team on and off for many seasons.

As for Tom Jackman, mine was the only team he had ever played for.

There is no reason The Rack Pack can't attract big names, after all we have ambition and a wonderful Secretary.....Me! Smile

Where's the smiley for blowing my own trumpet?
Harry Time!

Golden
#74 Print Post
Posted on 11-11-2007 18:48

FORUM ADDICT!

Tom Jackman was discovered by The Prop years and years ago from when he used to play down The Eagle on a Sunday afternoon ner ner

harry
#75 Print Post
Posted on 11-11-2007 22:17

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
Tom Jackman was discovered by The Prop years and years ago from when he used to play down The Eagle on a Sunday afternoon ner ner

How can it be years and years ago, he is only 12 now????

You were also spotted years ago, unfortunately I overlooked you Sad

What a winkle !!!! :hanged:
Edited by harry on 11-11-2007 22:19
Harry Time!

harry
#76 Print Post
Posted on 11-11-2007 22:34

Must Get Out More

Deutch wrote:
Hold the front page a minute .... Item 8 of the Constitution states that a player cannot transfer to another team if his/her original team has been suspended ...... What is the difference between a suspended team and a withdrawn team other than the obvious ???

A suspended team is suspended for a reason, i.e not paying fines, not phoning results through, un-sporting behaviour etc......Am i right, or is it the Sunday afternoon drinking talking?

If a team has 8 players (for example) signed up at the beginning of a season, then 3 or 4 decide they can not make it (for whatever reason), then why should the remaining 4 players who are commited to the team and playing pool have to sit out?

I am not trying to get players for my team (although the door is open) I am just trying to make sense of the situation.

If The Rack Pack folded under the same circumstances, I would be gutted to have to wait until April/May of next year to join another team (providing anyone would have me)

Does this make sense?
Harry Time!

Knocky
#77 Print Post
Posted on 11-11-2007 23:19
Must Get Out More

i agree with you harry,the unpredictables may soon be in the same boat as terry is having a break and graf and i have work commitments which means that ocasionly the team will only have 4 players available.if the team folded and the players banned for the rest of the season i would hang up my cue even though i love pool WORK does have to come firstcrying
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

longshanks
#78 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 17:15

Must Get Out More

With teams folding and other teams struggling it would be a shame to see players who are willing to play being prevented from so doing by a rule in the constitution which could be interpreted differently.

ThePower
#79 Print Post
Posted on 12-11-2007 19:23

Must Get Out More

Apparently Micky Samuels and John Hoy confirm the Drillers are 100% no more and that Ben Compton should have told Mark Halsey they have withdrawn from the league. There is a bit of confusion whether Ben has notified the league and as we are due to play the Drillers tomorrow night it would be good to get some official clarification on this one way or the other.

oddball
#80 Print Post
Posted on 13-11-2007 03:58

Getting The Hang Of It

If he drillers are no more then lets hope the league will let the committed players sign up play for the other teams who need help and not let them go the same way as the drillers

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Steve Petty
Steve Petty
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing