oddball243 weeks
Knocky247 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Ladies Singles Final
Fat-Dart
#1 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 19:59

FORUM ADDICT!

This match between Sarah Long (Suzy's Floozies) and Donna Evans (Goodfellas), which is due to be played tonight, may now not be happening due to a complaint raised by Adam Hewson, the sponsor, that one of the semi-finals wasn't played at the specified venue, which 'apparently' makes the final void until that semi is replayed at The Farley.

Basically, Donna and Stacey Gough played their semi at Riley's Imperial Way for the following reasons:

1. Stacey couldn't make the original semi-final date so asked to postpone if possible. Mark Halsey agreed this could be done, or Donna could claim the match (which she wouldn't do)
2. The date of the final had been changed, bringing it a week closer, as Sarah couldn't make that one, leaving Donna and Stacey only one week to re-arrange the semi.
3. The ONLY date that Stacey could do in that week was the Monday.
4. The Monday in question was the same night as the KO Cup Final at the Farley, making that venue impossible. This left the only solution, other than claiming the match, being to play at another venue, which they did.
5. A fuss was made, by the aforementioned sponsor, and the semi was scheduled to be replayed on 7th November, which Stacey couldn't do, so she gave Donna the match. Due to the timescale, and the final being tonight, Donna had no choice.

It has now been intimated, by Adam, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on as Donna was 'given' the semi (albeit after playing it once, as already explained). He is now ordering that that semi be re-played before the final can go ahead. Donna received a message to this effect LAST NIGHT. WHy couldn't this issue be raised earlier, before both players had arranged baby-sitters etc ?!!

Does this now mean that as Donna played 3 matches to get to this final, whereas Sarah only played one (having been given BYEs along the way by previous opponents before her semi-final), does Sarah also have to re-play those games which she was 'given' too? If so, that is ridiculous. If not, then that would be a conspiracy on the part of the sponsor who is dictating the running of a competition.
eek2

Shaggy
#2 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:07
Must Get Out More

As sponser I would suspect that Adam has a right to continue or not with his sponsership, but has absolutely no right to determine anything else to do with how the competition is run.

Clearly the league dont want to lose sponsers and the rules do dictate that semis are played at a pre designated venue.

What however can be done if an alternative semi final date is arranged and the person who has already lost doesnt turn up. Oh a bye is awarded, and the final can go ahead anyway.

Comment sense should prevail, and the final should get played.

Bloody women. :wink:

House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longshanks
#3 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:23

Must Get Out More

Spot on Shaggy. The game at Rileys was made null and void because the semi was re-arranged to be played at the Farley. Therefore technically the semi did take place at the right venue but was conceded. It may well be that she conceded it because she had already lost fair and square, certainly if I were in that situation I wouldn't try to win.

Spudangles
#4 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:23
Home From Home

Chuck some mud over em!

Golden
#5 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:26

FORUM ADDICT!

laughing

Sass
#6 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:33

FORUM ADDICT!

I need to correct you on a couple of facts

Fat-Dart wrote:
2. The date of the final had been changed, bringing it a week closer, as Sarah couldn't make that one, leaving Donna and Stacey only one week to re-arrange the semi.

Not 100% true as I explained in an earlier thread. The final was originally scheduled for 17 October and without knowing I'd even be in the final I booked to take my kids away for a few days during half term the following week. Unfortunately a scheduling error meant that the Doubles Final was omitted pushing the Ladies Final back to the 24th which I obviously couldn't do. Yes the first date for the final was moved to accommodate me but only because it had already been moved previously which is hardly my fault!

I'm not an ogre if anyone had approached me and said there was a problem getting the semi played in time of course I'd have agreed to a postponement of the re-arranged final.

Fat-Dart wrote:Does this now mean that as Donna played 3 matches to get to this final, whereas Sarah only played one (having been given BYEs along the way by previous opponents before her semi-final), does Sarah also have to re-play those games which she was 'given' too? If so, that is ridiculous. If not, then that would be a conspiracy on the part of the sponsor who is dictating the running of a competition.
eek2

I have only been given one game by my former team mate Natalie who no longer plays in Croydon League. I made every effort to get her to play it. Who are the other opponents you are referring to?

www.croydonpool.com
Sass
#7 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:37

FORUM ADDICT!

I'm not getting drawn on the rest of it. I just want to play pool!!

www.croydonpool.com
Fat-Dart
#8 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:52

FORUM ADDICT!

Sarah, there is nothing in this aimed at you, it's the stupidity of one person demanding a reply on one match and not others, then accusing them of some sort of conspiracy.
wrong
And for your points raised, if I've got any details wrong, I apologise, I may have my wires crossed on some of the finer details, as it's all a bit confusing, but I'm sure Donna will clarify it all when she come online.

Golden
#9 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 20:54

FORUM ADDICT!

This is yet another example of why women should not play pool

Fat-Dart
#10 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:06

FORUM ADDICT!

Golden wrote:
This is yet another example of why women should not play pool

Thanks for your ever-helpful input, Dan. I was waiting for that one.

Lils
#11 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:22

Must Get Out More

evil laugh

Mark, I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Sass, I think Mark has just got confused with what I told him a while ago about me having played 3 matches to get to the Final and you only 1. You were given a game by Natalie Barnes for whatever reason, I have been given a game by Stacey Gough as she couldn't make the date.

Firstly, the Final WAS originally proposed to be moved forward a week from the 24th to the 17th by Sass which meant Stacey and I thought we only had a week to rearrange the match I could have claimed. Then I was told by Mark Halsey that we had more time, so I told Stacey.

Stacey could ONLY MAKE the 10th October out of all of the days available, and this was the date of the KO Cup and we couldn't make the game earlier in the evening, so instead of claiming it, we played at another venue.

Unfortunately, some people didn't quite understand that if the match hadn't been played on that date, I'd have had to claim it anyway, as Stacey was unavailable to play on any other occasion, so no Semi-Final match would have taken place in Thornton Heath anyway.

So . . . complaints were made. And a new date, November 7th, was given for the Semi-Final. Stacey said although she wasn't keen on the idea of playing a match she'd already lost again, she was unable to play on that date as it was her friends birthday and she had plans, so Bob Todd was made aware of this.

Now, the night before the Final, Adam Hewson rings Bob Todd, telling him that 'Something is going on and I'm part of a conspiracy to fraudulently obtain a place in the Ladies singles final.'

evil laugh

With all due respect, I don't need to play. I've already told Sass she can have it if she wants it!

Can't be bothered with all this!!! laughing

Spudangles
#12 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:22
Home From Home

Chuck some mud over em!:razz:

Lils
#13 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:25

Must Get Out More

Spudangles has a serious fixation with mud. strip

Pondlife
#14 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:32

Must Get Out More

Can you please get the summer ladies singles final played as quickly as possible. It's going to snow soon !!

Shaggy
#15 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:39
Must Get Out More

As the ladies singles is still in its infancy stage (in comparison to others CDPL Comps) it should be played otherwise it breeds the question. If a competition has a default winner in the final, what is the point of the comp in the first place?

How the blinking blimey hell, can a competition with 8 people be so cotton picking difficult.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lils
#16 Print Post
Posted on 14-11-2007 21:43

Must Get Out More

Shaggy wrote:
As the ladies singles is still in its infancy stage (in comparison to others CDPL Comps) it should be played otherwise it breeds the question. If a competition has a default winner in the final, what is the point of the comp in the first place?

How the blinking blimey hell, can a competition with 8 people be so cotton picking difficult.

Exactly Shaggy. Apparently Mr Hewsons £50 sponsorship means he can make someone play when they're not able to!! laughing

And apparently, Sass spoke to Adam last night and he didn't say a word of this to her . . . How strange. crazy
Edited by Lils on 14-11-2007 21:56

oddball
#17 Print Post
Posted on 15-11-2007 05:05

Getting The Hang Of It

As we are now into the 5th week of the winter season and still have not managed to play all of this summers finals , How are we going to fit in all of the extra plate finals at the end of this season. Will the committee be able to sort out the finals dates to keep everybody happy. It's going to a very hectic time for all concerned I think the plate comps. are a mistake.

Lils
#18 Print Post
Posted on 15-11-2007 05:27

Must Get Out More

And the winner of the most random post on a particular thread IS . . . laughing

Sass beat me tonight 3-2 in the Ladies Final. She played really well (but I have to say this as she's standing behind me . . . )

Hang on - she's gone . . . She was SHIT . . .

Oops, she's back . . .

ANYWAY . . . Sarah played some of the nicest pool i've seen her play in a while so I think the right player won.

Well done you BASTARD!!!!worship

Sass
#19 Print Post
Posted on 15-11-2007 06:27

FORUM ADDICT!

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Cheers Lils.

Home now so I can say what I like but just want to say it was an enjoyable match played in good spirit and fitting it went to the deciding frame. It could very easily have been the other way round.

www.croydonpool.com
Lils
#20 Print Post
Posted on 15-11-2007 06:42

Must Get Out More

Sass wrote:
It could very easily have been the other way round.

Yeah - I could have smashed the black around the table and fluked it in some random pocket too!!! ner ner

You played good. The right person won - well done for successfully defending your title! dancing

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
The Crowd
The Crowd
24hr Charity Pool Marathon 2006
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing