oddball240 weeks
Knocky244 weeks
Teach248 weeks
FoxC261 weeks
cazza266 weeks
andye266 weeks
jacko266 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Summer League
 Print Thread
Format Change Proposal
longshanks
Posted on 24-02-2008 19:42

Must Get Out More

Pondlife wrote:
I don't think that there was very much anti Division One sentiment at the AGM. I still maintain that a set of rules that could enable three players to beat a ten man team are basically flawed.Welcome to Evans world of mathematical conundrums !! Most of the so called "pissing and whingeing" came from the Division One representatives who felt really aggrieved about not being allowed into the plate competitions. I felt so sorry for them that I personally voted to allow them in. Anything for a quiet life !! wall

I wasn't at the AGM but the fact that sponsorship was withdrawn for the plat because of the inclusion of Division 1 players does suggest that there is some feeling of 'them' and 'us'.

andye
Posted on 24-02-2008 20:32

Home From Home

why don't they just have a seperate k.o. cup for each division... seems a no brainer to me!!!

Golden
Posted on 24-02-2008 21:00

FORUM ADDICT!

andye wrote:
why don't they just have a seperate k.o. cup for each division... seems a no brainer to me!!!

Because that creates seperation between divisions which is exactly what we're trying to avoid

andye
Posted on 24-02-2008 23:03

Home From Home

not really, you have the usual one for everyone then instead of the plates have division comps... then div 2 aren't complaining about div 1 being in it, div 3 aren't complaining about div 1 & 2 in it etc etc...
so it's no different to the individuals we have now!!!
personally i rarely do plates as it's just a losers comp to me, i only really do them for the money or if i've driven a long way!!!

Lils
Posted on 25-02-2008 00:13

Must Get Out More

That was another comment that made me giggle at the AGM; Being told that if Division One players had their own plat comp, then that is 'dividing the League'.

Ummm . . After the Division 2 and below had their own 3 comps that Division 1 weren't allowed in last year (but had to pay the same League entry fee for less comps) . . Wasn't THAT dividing the League? And wanting equality in trophy size because 'we all pay the same entry fee so it's not fair that some should get more for their money' and then having 3 extra comps than Division One . . . Shockhmygod:

Note to self: If wanting to be hypocritical, try to be consistent.

Golden
Posted on 25-02-2008 07:26

FORUM ADDICT!

andye wrote:
not really, you have the usual one for everyone then instead of the plates have division comps... then div 2 aren't complaining about div 1 being in it, div 3 aren't complaining about div 1 & 2 in it etc etc...
so it's no different to the individuals we have now!!!
personally i rarely do plates as it's just a losers comp to me, i only really do them for the money or if i've driven a long way!!!

Ah I see what you mean now . . This will be in place as One-Day events held at Rileys Purley Way towards the end of the year . . Each Division will have their own KO . .

Golden
Posted on 26-02-2008 00:20

FORUM ADDICT!

The minutes of this meeting can now be found here

Cyber The Crucifier
Posted on 26-02-2008 00:29
Home From Home

just a quick question
so if u win 10 0
do u still get two bonus points for the win

Golden
Posted on 26-02-2008 00:36

FORUM ADDICT!

There aren't any bonus points in the summer

chuckles
Posted on 26-02-2008 00:42

Home From Home

nuttmeg wrote:
I also couldn't understand Martin cancelling his sponsorship of the plate just because players from the first division were allowed in the plate, I can assure you the top players would not want to be in the plate, for some players in the first div they have no chance in the singles but would do well in the plate. Pram toyslame

I can understand it. What is so wrong with the lower divisions having a competition to them selves without the first division. It keeps them playing longer and gives them a chance of a trophy that they wouldn't have a chance in otherwise. I agree that the majority of first Div players wouldn't want to enter the plate, but there will be some that will lose there first round match, or not even turn up for it, just to have an easier time of it. We'll just have to wait and see how many first div players enter the plate this summer and how many are still in it by the semi's, and if a first div player wins it.
Always have a plan 'B'
Even plan 'B' has failed

Viper
Posted on 26-02-2008 00:59
Must Get Out More

chuckles wrote:
nuttmeg wrote:
I also couldn't understand Martin cancelling his sponsorship of the plate just because players from the first division were allowed in the plate, I can assure you the top players would not want to be in the plate, for some players in the first div they have no chance in the singles but would do well in the plate. Pram toyslame

I can understand it. What is so wrong with the lower divisions having a competition to them selves without the first division. It keeps them playing longer and gives them a chance of a trophy that they wouldn't have a chance in otherwise. I agree that the majority of first Div players wouldn't want to enter the plate, but there will be some that will lose there first round match, or not even turn up for it, just to have an easier time of it. We'll just have to wait and see how many first div players enter the plate this summer and how many are still in it by the semi's, and if a first div player wins it.
Any player/team failing to arrive and play in the first rounds of any of the main comps WILL NOT be entered into the Plate comps.

Golden
Posted on 26-02-2008 01:03

FORUM ADDICT!

chuckles wrote:

Because that creates the 'us and them' culture that we're trying so hard to eradicate . .

The lower divisions are lower for a reason . . Because they're not the best . . They'll just have to deal with it . . Why should everyone be catered for because they're not good enough . . It's pathetic . .

Remember when World Rules was voted in? The proposal was to put it in Division One only but it was amended n the night of the AGM because the lower divisions didn't want to be left out and therefore create an 'us and them' situation . . They can't have it both ways . .

Pondlife
Posted on 26-02-2008 01:24

Must Get Out More

Any player/team from any division who enters a knock-out competition will automatically be entered into the relevant plate competition, following a 1st round defeat . If they choose not to play their match,the correct etiquette must be followed or a massive fine will be imposed. Non payment of the fine would lead to suspension. If a team only has five registered players,the suspensions could bite into their squad. This could result in somebody making a proposal to further reduce the team size . If this continued unabated ,we might eventually find ourselves with a singles league. Oh,we've already got one of those !!

Golden
Posted on 26-02-2008 01:30

FORUM ADDICT!

tumbleweed

Pondlife
Posted on 26-02-2008 02:14

Must Get Out More

Danny,you're watching that tumbleweed very closely.Please make sure that you don't get pricked from behind !

Lils
Posted on 26-02-2008 03:24

Must Get Out More

chuckles wrote:
[quote] I agree that the majority of first Div players wouldn't want to enter the plate, but there will be some that will lose there first round match, or not even turn up for it, just to have an easier time of it.

evil laugh

What world do you live in exactly?!!

Just who do you think would throw their match in the main comp to have an easier ride in the Plate?!! And with all due respect, it seems to me like you're trying to say that all Division One players have a superior game to those in Division Two and below.

Seriously; open your eyes and take a good look. There are probably 10 players at best in Division 1 that i'd say were pretty untouchable by everyone else over any distance, including the rest of Division 1. Luckily enough, this League isn't over distance. It's 1 frame pool.

I don't know of one person in Division 1 who would lower themselves to throwing a first round game in the main Singles to get the apparently 'easier ride' in the plate.

It's comments like this that cause a divide.

longshanks
Posted on 26-02-2008 16:09

Must Get Out More

Deutch wrote:
chuckles wrote:
nuttmeg wrote:

Any player/team failing to arrive and play in the first rounds of any of the main comps WILL NOT be entered into the Plate comps.

Presumably all first round losers are automatically entered into the plate. A lot of them won't want to play, will they be fined / suspended for not fulfilling the fixture (without notifying opponent first)?

ThePower
Posted on 26-02-2008 16:32

Must Get Out More

The opportunity appears to have been lost. As a first division player I will have absolutely no interest in entering the plate so will be praying I get over the first hurdle. Once your out your out.

All this one extra comp for them and not one for us (Div 1) but we pay the same money is tosh. A seperate Div 1 knockout is what is really needed if it bothers the Croydon hierachy that much....not entering a plate competition that I guess most Div 1 players have no desire to be part of.....
Edited by ThePower on 26-02-2008 16:34

Golden
Posted on 26-02-2008 21:37

FORUM ADDICT!

I'd have much preferred a separate Division One Singles but that again creates an 'us and them' situation and contrary to popular belief from some people, we tailored the proposal for the masses and not just what suits 'us' . .

Had the proposal not gone through then we would have had a vote to bring that in . .

Incidentally Alex, there was no mention of your suggestion regarding a non-playing secretary shag

angles
Posted on 27-02-2008 22:26
Quite The Regular

To whom it may concern.
Can anyone varify what the point scoring system is for the new proposed format for the summer is please.
I was on the understanding that it would be like the football league 3 for a win and 1 for a draw with frames being for and against.winkgrin

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Ben Crompton
Ben Crompton
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing