jacko269 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
What would you change?
Golden
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 07:32

FORUM ADDICT!

If you could change anything about the league, match format, competitions, league sheets or anything at all, what would it be?

I would introduce the option to email results in by scanning the sheets . . It would save the league money in postage and reduce the chances of sheets going missing . .

ThePower
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 16:42

Must Get Out More

Re: league results reporting and individual rankings, not sure if this is what you mean, but on the site itself I would like to see weekly updated position for each division for individuals (top 10 from each division) / and overall rankings (say top 20). Some kind of seperate tables to the side of the site reporting these details - updated weekly. We only seem to get rankings/details on the individuals released 3 or 4 times per season, mainly near to the end of the campaign - so really you don't have much idea whats going on, who is leading/doing well etc. Singles and Doubles results posted in full, scores etc, as you only know who has gone through when the next draw sheet comes out. A vidiprinter at the top of the site - reeling off weekly scores and who won for who (Sky sports style). As it stands the info, I presume, would need to be filtered through from Mark to someone who has the time to punch in the info each week.
I mean how many players now look at a league results sheet each week? The site could reduce the amount of paper down to nearly nothing. I know its a time element, but would be good to see more information.

JamieMc
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 16:51

Quite The Regular

instead of phoning the results through, you could update the score on-line; including individual frame scores, which could then update the league/individual stats in real-time. The score card could posted on for signiture clarification as we currently do. Competitions? No plate, but as mentioned previously a divisional singles k/o.

Burn
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 17:01

Quite The Regular

If I could change anything...

Scrap the trophies (or at least reduce size and numbers significantly) and reduce the team registration fees accordingly. It is often pub landlords footing the bill, and they are feeling the squeeze currently. Lower team fees could lead to more pubs entering more than 1 team, or more importantly, not withdrawing any existing teams.

Regarding suggestions from Danny and Alex...

Cards are faxed and/or scanned at Premier. Every team will have someone with access to a fax. Except the British Legion, who will wrap the result-sheet around a rock, and lob it through the league window.

Alexs' requests are fairly achievable, and would probably add significantly to site usage if they were added here. What you need is an open source version of something like LeagueRepublic, to build a results sub-site that can be updated 'live' by the team secretaries.

The only problem then is ensuring the integrity and security of the site, to stop dodgy results being added.

Mark Halsey would probably still have to produce the confirmed results, in the traditional manner.
Edited by Burn on 11-01-2008 18:00

http://www.surreypool.com
Cue_Ball
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 17:39

Quite The Regular

Deinitely reduce the amount of trophies, by the end of the presentations my hands are almost raw from clapping. winner

Sass
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 17:48

FORUM ADDICT!

I'd replace the league cup with a divisional knockout.

www.croydonpool.com
Coneycueist
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 18:12

Home From Home

A discreet medal or something would be a little more classy imo.

Anybody who has carried a box of those trophies home (ask someone Alex) and seeing how scratched they get, could vouch for how poor they are. Can anybody honestly say they have put a trophy on top of their mantle-piece with 'League Cup Semi-Finalist' on it?

Mind you, I use them for incentives with our field teams at work, so if they do continue can I politely request they do not have, people playing pool on them so I don't get people asking me why there is a snooker player on their trophy. As neutral as possible please. Thanks!
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

Coneycueist
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 18:14

Home From Home

And before anyone says we won't be winning any anyway, we are going to win the knockout cup, get to the semis in the league cup (minimum)and (almost) certainly be runners up (at least) in the league. Ted's already ordered the trophy cabinet for the Elmer so we are commited.
The Coney: The Home of Bread and Butter pool since 1999

longshanks
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 18:25

Must Get Out More

Ted's ordered the cabinet for the Elmer Cuemasters.

ThePower
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 18:53

Must Get Out More

Coneycueist wrote:
And before anyone says we won't be winning any anyway, we are going to win the knockout cup

Tell you what James. Name your own odds, no infact will 10's do? Have ?500 on it. laughing Leave it behind the bar at the Farley if I'm not around. I'll borrow some money off my mum in case you win.

Shit, I just can't stop myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Harkness boys have landed - on planet Eden....

ThePower
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 18:57

Must Get Out More

Back on topic. I agree James, the trophies are a massive expense to the league and something should be considered to reduce the outlay. The medals is a good idea. Ones you hang around your neck. Jim'll fix it stylie....
Edited by ThePower on 11-01-2008 18:59

Burn
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 19:36

Quite The Regular

The new trophies...

www.surreypool.com/dump/fixit.jpg

This was created as a result of a letter to Jim from a Croydon player who has asked to remain Anonymous.

"Dear Jim

Can you Fix it for Me to win a Trophy in my local league. I love Pool, but have never won anything. I get regular coaching and think I deserve to win something.

One final request, I have very short arms, and am worried that if I do win a trophy, when I lift it above my head for the photos, my head will be obscured, and no-one will believe it was me.

So a medal might be better.

P.S. I always watch your show."

Edited by Burn on 11-01-2008 19:43

http://www.surreypool.com
ThePower
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 19:40

Must Get Out More

laughing

Priceless....applause

Golden
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 19:57

FORUM ADDICT!

laughing

Golden
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 20:01

FORUM ADDICT!

I'd be very surprised if the introduction of an automated system would be welcomed . . As Burn has said, LeagueRepublic is the closest thing around that serves that purpose and that can be intergrated into this site but halsey already does agood job in respect of putting the stats etc together and as a general rule they're on the site by Friday at the latest . .

. . remember the days when you had to wait until next Monday at the earliest to see how anyone got on? Although it wouldn't be official, if at least one person from each team/fixture popped on the site for a couple of minutes on a Wednesday we'd have a complete idea of all results the next day!

Lils
#16 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 20:35

Must Get Out More

More frames, definately.

I really hope that the argumentative, 'won't agree with anything proposed that will change how things have been since 1978' people at the AGM will see that the proposal for more frames can only be good for the players who are out on a Tuesday to play pool.

I travel approximately 30 miles on a Tuesday for a home game, so if there's a chance I could get another competetive frame then it's a bonus.

I also think timing should be brought into the league at some point, but understand that this could be detrimental so wouldn't push for it.

Golden
#17 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 20:40

FORUM ADDICT!

Timing is for rubbish players who don't know what shot to play . .

Lils
#18 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 20:47

Must Get Out More

Exactly. The only reason matches go on long past 10.30pm is because some people continually take well over 2 minutes to roll a ball over a hole.

60 seconds is a very long time unless you're really rubbish.

Sass
#19 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 21:48

FORUM ADDICT!

Review of Tuesday Night?s Match

8.45 start I was a bit late and hit a few balls about before the table was snatched for practice by the Young Guns who clearly wanted to scare us all with their awesome ability . . .

9.00 Young Guns were 2 zip down

9.15 3-1

9.30 4-1 (bit of a slow frame there)

9.40 5-2

10.00 Longest frame of the night finishes (secretary?s frame) due to the fact that I was unable to pot a ball and fudged for Cadburys.

Upshot of all this is that if a bunch of girls in Div 5 can play a match in 75 minutes I can?t see why timing is needed.

www.croydonpool.com
the flash
#20 Print Post
Posted on 11-01-2008 21:57
Quite The Regular

2 minutes !!, i've seen players take over 5 minutes and not just once in a frame !!
because i can

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Old Boys
Old Boys
Charity Challenge Match 2005
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing