jacko262 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Berty RIP
Triple C
#1 Print Post
Posted on 15-06-2013 02:13

Home From Home

Have heard some sad news... Berty who used to play for the Coney has passed away... Sad times...

Very funny guy, mainly remember him for the banter he had vs The Eden...

Thoughts are with his family and friends...

RIP

Sad

Site Team
#2 Print Post
Posted on 15-06-2013 05:24

Super Admin

Matt Palmer was a great guy always up for a laugh and will be missed by many people

He took the Coney up through the divisions into division 1

I was lucky enough to join The Coney in division 1 for their last couple of seasons until the team disbanded several years ago and enjoyed my time spent with Matt and the rest of the team a lot.

Matt was always cheerful and funny and enjoyed banter with the other teams along with some friendly rivalry, with the Eden in particular

Matt's funeral will be held in the East Chapel at Croydon Crematorium on 27th June at 13:30 and all are also welcome afterwards at Purley Downs golf course

RIP Matt
Edited by Site Team on 15-06-2013 06:01

the-shark
#3 Print Post
Posted on 16-06-2013 17:22

Home From Home

really sad news i played with matt for a couple of seasons and was always smiling and passionate about his tuesday nights out.
a good team player but more importantly a good person.

a sad loss.
www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Animals/Sharks/Pool_shark_2.gif

we may need a bigger boat..!

MavisDavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 17-06-2013 03:07
Quite The Regular

Matt loved the Croydon pool league and especially this site. His parents gave me his cue today to remember him by. The Coney Cues was started by Matt and I shortly after leaving school to see how far we could get and he was really proud that we got to Div 1 and was able to get a couple of seasons with the Cuemasters after we disbanded.

Matt's parents would be really happy to see anyone that would like to come to the funeral or Purley Downs afterwards. A true Croydon legend.

Spud
#5 Print Post
Posted on 17-06-2013 18:49

Home From Home

Incredibly sad news this...

Have very fond memories of the Coney lads, always a good night had when we played them, and Matt was very much at the forefront of that.

His sense of humour was spot on, and used too make me laugh both in person and from his various comical posts on here.

Massive shame...

Shaggy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 17-06-2013 20:20
Must Get Out More

Echo Sean and everybody elses comments. I really liked the Coney and Berty in particular, and remember when they finally beat the Eagles, faces beaming.

A very sad loss to his friends , family, and the league especially for one so young.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThePower
#7 Print Post
Posted on 18-06-2013 04:24

Must Get Out More

What terribly sad news this week. My condolences go out to his family, friends and of course the Coney Cues boys.

We certainly had some fantastic local derby matches. Eden -v- Coney encounters at the Elmer Lodge were fuelled weeks in advance by some great banter from us and Matt . There were some epic matches, neither team could stomach the thought of defeat and the rivalry between our teams was part of Croydon folklore. Behind all the banter, I'll remember Matt for being a great captain, a decent player, respectful competitor and he was always one of the good guys.

Matt once said to me one Tuesday night after one of our contests that it was those type of matches that kept him playing in the Croydon league. Well Berty, it was the same for me too. It's so tragic we are having to recap on some great memories a few years after we packed it all in. RIP fella.
Edited by ThePower on 18-06-2013 04:37

longshanks
#8 Print Post
Posted on 18-06-2013 05:01

Must Get Out More

Matt and Luke joined us (The Cuemasters) after the Coney Cues split up and you couldn't meet two nicer blokes. I really can't get my head round this news, utterly tragic.

sparks
#9 Print Post
Posted on 18-06-2013 14:42
Home From Home

My thoughts, best wishes are with Matts family and friends.

I can say it was tragic to hear the terrible news.

My best memories of Matt was his extremely strong character behind the driving force of his team.

We had some ding dong battles with the Coney Boy's all played in a great atmosphere with alot of injoyable banter.

Matt was deffinately the loudest as he cheered and supported every shot played by his team deffinately the driving force to his credit.

He will be sorely missed RIP buddy. from the Warbank boy's.hugs

Truey
#10 Print Post
Posted on 21-06-2013 14:05
Quite The Regular

Truly shocking news......my condolences to Matt's family & friends
As already stated by many, Matt was always a very funny guy who clearly loved his pool & a night out with his pals. We had some great battles down the years with the coney & it always had a bit of needle which both teams enjoyed.
Matt also turned out for the Eden for 1 summer season & was very much a team player
Neither of our teams have played in the league now for a few seasons & I confess to only really missing banter & nights against the likes of Matt & his coney boys, it made the pool league for me - going to a pub with your mates & getting to div 1 & playing / beating the big boys
It seems to have all changed now by reading on here, so seems Matt you took the coney boys out on the top fella
You will be missed incredibly but never forgotten
R.I.P pal
Edited by Truey on 21-06-2013 14:06
HOW LONG LEFT ?

jacko
#11 Print Post
Posted on 22-06-2013 07:23
Must Get Out More

Think its very nice reading these post on such a sad event...wel said lads shows gr8 heart butter wouldn't melt ...

Site Team
#12 Print Post
Posted on 27-06-2013 02:50

Super Admin

Just a quick reminder for anyone wanting to go, Matts funeral is tomm (Thursday 27th) in the East Chapel at Croydon Crematorium @ 13:30

longshanks
#13 Print Post
Posted on 02-12-2015 06:49

Must Get Out More

I am bumping this thread because there will be a match in aid of The Matt Palmer Trust on 27 December at Rileys Frith Road. Sonera of the old Coney Cues boys will be appearing as well as their arch rivals The Eden.
Please try to get down there for a couple of hours to see some old faces and raise money for a worthy cause.

Shaggy
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02-12-2015 07:08
Must Get Out More

I'll definitely be there, and would encourage everyone that knows Matt too. This site used to have so many people involved this would have spread like wildfire, and he is one of the reason it thrived

I accept it's not these days which is a shame. That said I'll sell this day more to smash the Eden the *******s. It's what Matt would have wanted.

The Eden are in town for Christmas, it's a present!!!! Unwrap.....
Edited by Shaggy on 02-12-2015 07:10
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knocky
#15 Print Post
Posted on 02-12-2015 18:48
Must Get Out More

Sincere condolances from all at the unpredictables.
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

the-shark
#16 Print Post
Posted on 02-12-2015 20:14

Home From Home

would loved to have played in this,and been nice to catch up with some faces from the past but unfortunately im out the country from boxing day but let me know how to make a donation and i will gladly do so. hopefully the day will raise loads for a really good cause and in memory of a really great guy.
www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Animals/Sharks/Pool_shark_2.gif

we may need a bigger boat..!

Truey
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09-12-2015 20:37
Quite The Regular

Rebumped this......Although by the look of this site it's dead on it's ar$e
anyway here is some more details on the 27th December Charity pool day

www.mattpalmertrust.org.uk

Date : 27th December
Venue : Rileys Frith Road
Start Time : 2pm
Entry fee : 15 Quid

Format : Will be both a team & singles K/O comps, Any team that has 5 or more players can enter & the remaining players can make up a team
The Mighty Eden has been reassembled for this event & am sure in the honour of Matt many more teams & players will do the same, please come out in force to pay your respects & make some money for a very worthy charity in the name of a truly great guy
Matt...you are missed but never forgotten
And yes the EDEN will be as horrible & loud as we were back in the day
You've been warned....Now get there to see it

Cheers all
Truey
Edited by Truey on 09-12-2015 20:37
HOW LONG LEFT ?

Viper
#18 Print Post
Posted on 09-12-2015 20:40
Must Get Out More

I'll be there Truey and attempt to get as many of my Team (Maverick & Goose) to turn up ........... Be good to see the Eden Boys again

ThePower
#19 Print Post
Posted on 17-12-2015 05:48

Must Get Out More

Come on boys, the Eden will be back in town on 27th in aid of a fella (Berty) that deserves your love and support if you can spare a few hours...

Years of rivalry with the Coney and Ego's rekindled under one roof for the first time in years....for one day/night only..27th be there...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Ben Dom and Kev
Ben Dom and Kev
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing