oddball243 weeks
Knocky248 weeks
Teach251 weeks
FoxC264 weeks
cazza269 weeks
andye269 weeks
jacko269 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
League Week one - Runners and riders
berty
#1 Print Post
Posted on 15-10-2007 21:09
Home From Home

Hmmmmm some VERY interesting games in the first game proper of the winter season here is how I see them all unfolding

Eagles 4 V Hot Shots 3
Well I have to say a little disappointing that this game has not fallen on the final week of the season. I dont think that the Hot Shots will have it as easy this season and my feeling is that the Eagles will find the motivation that was lacking from last season in the vengeance that will inspire them this season. I think that this could be settled by the players who have not played regularly over the summer. Those who are a little rusty maybe the difference between the side. Gonna go with home advantage

Farley Eden 4 V Bloodhounds 3
Eden have said that this season they are up for it and they must be to avoid a 3rd (at least) straight season of underachievement and having to look behind them rather than infront or for the top 5 finish that they think they deserve. Bloodhounds need to realise quickly that teams who finished in the bottom half of the league have to be their target to turn over and then damage limitation against the big boys of the top 3. Bloodhounds hotly tipped for the drop, Eden feeling resurgent with new signings. I personally think there will be a few nerves from the Eden in a game they are expected to win comfortably but will run out winners with a frame to spare.

Drillers 5 V Unpredictables 2
Not sure of the starting line ups from these boys but last season it was a bit of a grudge match with the respective transfers that went on between the teams. Unpredictables looked screwed with a few weeks to go last season but finally strung together the results they needed to avoid the drop at the expense of the Legion and Pond. Did the unpredictables just get the big boys out to pull in the results they needed? Will they field a strong team weekin week out? Drillers same questions really I am not sure of the signings in the summer but am gonna back the Drillers who usually start well.

Coney Cues 4 V Rack Pack 3
Rack Pack finished above us last season so this is a very early yard stick for Coney Improvement. Coney started well last week in the league cup although this will be an entirely different proposition. Rack pack have lost a couple of key players and thus will have some newbies/b string players to come to the party. Either way they will need to perform to outstrip an rejuvinated Coney Side.

Cuemasters 3 V SAS 4
In a game that will seem very familiar from last season this is a very big psychological game very early. It is fairly well know that new teams usually struggle so to lose against a fellow newly promoted side will make the rest of the season a daunting prospect after just one match but win and you feel you can take on the world from the top of the table. Cuemasters have split their teams in contrast to the SAS who were one of the most together teams I have ever seen. A pre-season split is not what is needed prior to the start of the season. Hence I am gonna go for the newby SAS to win on their div one debut

The Patriots 3 V The Propeller 4
With the Patriots now comprising half their team of ex propeller players they are not going to struggle this season but more join the ranks of the team gunning for 4th in the table. Prop have weakened slightly hence losing more ground on the top 2 but in my eyes still have enough to win this one. Not sure of the terms of departure for the new players to the Patriots but could potentially be an interesting night?

Big up!

nuttmeg
#2 Print Post
Posted on 15-10-2007 22:47
Home From Home

Eagles 4 hot shots 3
Eden 5 bloodhounds 2
Drillers 5 unpredictables 2
Coney 4 Rack pack 3
Cuemasters 5 SAS 2
Old Prop 3 new Prop 4

ThePower
#3 Print Post
Posted on 15-10-2007 22:55

Must Get Out More

Eagles v Hot Shots
As early as week 1, the match that could decide the destiny of the 07/08 title? Shocking but true. Eagles need to win this more than Hot Shots if we are to take them seriously this season. Hot Shots have their mark at the moment, 5-2 Hot Shots.

Eden v Bloodhounds
We were shockingly poor last week and with the start we have in the opening 4 weeks this makes tomorrow night a must win match. We know the Bloodhounds will be well up for their first game in Div 1. I'll take a 4-3 win.

Drillers v Unpreds
Will they won't they see out the season with a full team? Usual talk when it comes to the Drillers. One thing is for certain they have some handy players. Unpreds did a Houdini act last season but are better than that but this is not an easy start. Drillers to win 4-3.

Coney v Rack Pack
The Rack Pack lost last week, at home, to Div 4 opposition, are the warning signs are all ready there for them. Coney at home, and with a stronger squad should win this comfortably. 5-2 Coney.

Cuemasters v SAS
Berty has played his sympathy card above for the SAS. Bottom line is the SAS will have to conjure up a mammoth effort this season to stay up. Clearly the Cuemasters represents an easier opening game than most they will come across but Cuemasters at full strength have too much in the locker for the SAS. 5-2 to Cuemasters.

Patriots v Propeller
We all remember the nightmare start the Prop had last year and this game may be a little bit of a grudge fixture. Ex-Prop players all with a point to prove. The Prop all ready be written off by some and their usual third spot finish now being questioned. Patriots to nick it 4-3.

Shaggy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 15-10-2007 23:30
Must Get Out More

Eagles v Hotshots.
Having done what they wanted to achieve last year it would be easy for them to take there eye off the ball, we have certainly been guilty of that on several occasions. We have lost Jake and I understand that despite young Nigel wanting to play I an doesnt want to do the travel, so they are reallistically two players short from last year. If Dino and Michael are committed this year than its clear they still have a team worth challenging, but I honestly think both teams may be vulnerable to a few defeats this year. I would imagine it will be 4-3 either way, hope its for us.

Eden v Bloodhounds.
Edens new squad consisting of one extra untested lower divison player, surely cant blunder there way through another season of low table rubbish. I am sure Truey has been practising like crazy to ensure he leads the boys to glory. The one man melting pot that is The Power is sure to play hideous shots and then pull out an impresive double to win the occasional frame. Any new team invariably takes a few weeks to get used to Div 1, and then its sink or swim time. I honestly havent seen the Bloodhounds play, but if they didnt get close to the Cue Masters in Div 2 I dont see them getting much change here. Eden 5 Bloodsports 2 (unfortunately!)

Drillers v Unpreds
The way I saw it last years Unpreds side was the worst I have ever seen, but the summer league they were one of the best sides due to just a couple of changes in personell, but a significant change in attitude. The Drillers are great to watch, always have been always will be, and with the hidden extra of finishing early when they inevitably turn uop short. I hope they dont, but we all know they will. Anyway new season, clean slate. Drillers 4 Unpreds 3.

Coney v Rack Pack
I fear for the RRP this term, losing Jacka and Miller will effect them significantly, and whilst I am sure they will give it their best, unless Harry has unravelled some secret players that nobody else can find (or steal in the Edens case!) it could be a long season. The COney are a super smashing great bunch of lads, and I think they will just drift through the season beaten the plums, and nicking the occasional big boy along the way. I have them to win the battle of Beckenham this year, again. And this match 5-2.

Cuemasters v SAS
The Cuemasters are the best team ever to be relegated from Division One. Plain and simple if they had turned up even with 6 they would have had no problems. Splitting the teams in this manor is an extremely risky choice in my opinion but nonetheless if the y turn up they can beat anyone. My only look at the SAS was in the Summer, they were short and got beaten regularly. Unless they have additonal players from the Summer I think they will have there work cut out to compete. I hope they do OK, but I do fear the worse. 5-2

Patriots v Prop
Out of all the teams in the league the Patriots can claim to be the only team that have made significant improvements in personnel since last year. I think this is ultimately the battle for third place in the league. The Props season I believe rests on the consistant attendance of the Popes and Trevor. All the others players have proved there consistancy over the years, but in my opinion the Popes add that little extra that allows teams to win stuff. To lose the players they have over the last couple of years would hurt any team. The Patriots were impressive at the back end of last Summer and I expect them to be up their and beating teams throughout. If Paul Richards can turn up regulalry to add to the former Prop players then I think they may well win a cup and have a signiificant say in the league. 4-3

Prediction for the season

Eagles
Hotshots
Prop
Patriots
Coney
Unpreds
Drillers
Eden
Cue Masters
Rack Pack
Bloodhounds
SAS
Edited by Shaggy on 15-10-2007 23:32
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry
#5 Print Post
Posted on 15-10-2007 23:57

Must Get Out More

You always tip us to go down Shaggy, why? shag
Harry Time!

Golden
#6 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 00:21

FORUM ADDICT!

Because Mark Miller left . .

Knocky
#7 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 01:08
Must Get Out More

eagles 3 hotshots 4
eden 4 bloodhounds 3
drillers 3 unpredictables 4ner ner
coney 4 rackpack 3
cuemasters 6 sas 1
patriots 4 prop 3
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Teach
#8 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 03:27

Home From Home

do not under estimate the bloodhonds

berty
#9 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 04:03
Home From Home

good luck to you mate

scottish-hustler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 06:24
Quite The Regular

I'm going by what I've seen since I've been in the league (i'm a croydon pool baby atm big grin)

Eagles 3 hot shots 4
Eden 4 bloodhounds 3
Drillers 3 unpredictables 4
Coney 5 Rack pack 2
Cuemasters 5 SAS 2
Patriots 3 Prop 4

Do I get a prize if I'm correct? applause

harry
#11 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 13:57

Must Get Out More

Golden wrote:
Because Mark Miller left . .

One player doesn't make a team!
Harry Time!

ThePower
#12 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 15:32

Must Get Out More

What about Tom? Hasn't he left as well? In fairness they were massively your 2 best players last season.

22 matches to prove the critics are wrong Harry.

Golden
#13 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 15:34

FORUM ADDICT!

Tom's rubbish . .

ThePower
#14 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 15:37

Must Get Out More

Come on then Golden, no more sititng on the fence, give us your predictions for this season....

Golden
#15 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 15:42

FORUM ADDICT!

Ok . . I think it will end something like . .

Hot Shots
Red Deer Eagles
The Propeller
The Patriots
Rileys Unpredictables
Coney Cues
The Drillers
Bromley Cue Masters
Farley Eden
Rack Pack
Bloodhounds
SAS

Triple C
#16 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 17:30

Home From Home

Mark Miller wasn't even in our team last winter season... so in theory we've only lost Tom from the team that ended up 4th...

longshanks
#17 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 17:39

Must Get Out More

Hard to predict without knowing the changes in personnel for the new season.

Eagles 4 hot shots 3
Eden 5 bloodhounds 2
Drillers 4 unpredictables 3
Coney 5 Rack pack 2
Cuemasters 5 SAS 2
Patriots 3 Prop 4

Eagles to win, Hot Shots 2nd.

Bloodhounds and SAS certainties for the drop unless they have strengthened considerably. 3rd place up for grabs.

Shaggy
#18 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 17:40
Must Get Out More

Triple C wrote:
Mark Miller wasn't even in our team last winter season... so in theory we've only lost Tom from the team that ended up 4th...

Where was he then. I could have sworn he played for you against us last Winter.
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple C
#19 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 17:41

Home From Home

He was with either you guys or the prop!

Triple C
#20 Print Post
Posted on 16-10-2007 17:45

Home From Home

... or maybe i'm drunk and can't even remember last week let alone last year!! lol

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Rob McDonnell
Rob McDonnell
24hr Charity Pool Marathon 2006
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing